Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
DragonLeHeart
DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle, Sony, Lookbook, Literati, others
Building a Kindle DX Dalmation Edition

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around and seem to have all the parts to build a Kindle
DX hybrid of the original DX and DX Graphite. After looking at different sites, I haven't seen any hardware or software concerns that would make this particularly impossible, but was wondering what the people on this site think? Any insight is appreciated

-DragonLeHeart
DragonLeHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Hybrid as in: Case of a dx and guts of a dxg? The other way around? Should work.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #3
DragonLeHeart
DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'DragonLeHeart knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Dalmatian DX

Front bezel is DX. Motherboard is DX. Screen is DXG. Midboard is DXG. Battery & 3G card are DX. Back of case is DXG.

If this works I saved over $50 on the motherboard alone . This is primarily a proof of concept exercise, but I still hope it works!

I recently started rehabbing Kindles as a hobby and am looking forward to seeing how interchangable some of the parts are. I haven't been brave enough to try a Kindle Fire yet. Does anyone know how much of a hassle they are to fix?
Old 05-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
sean.fosterbrown
Enthusiast
sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.sean.fosterbrown is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Touch
[deleted]

Last edited by sean.fosterbrown; 06-15-2021 at 05:54 AM.
sean.fosterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 02:51 AM   #5
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I don't think the 3G card would be an issue - they have a rather rudimentary, rock-solid interface to the rest of the units. Though the question what Amazon's servers will make of it is certainly valid.

I'm much more in doubt about the motherboard (and thus: firmware?) and screen/controller combo. The e-ink controllers may need different drivers or even for the same driver they might need different waveform initialization data for the different hardware. Well, trying out will tell, I guess....
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #6
DragonLeHeart

The UPS Man Cometh...and Leaveth :(

Apparently the UPS guy was in a hurry to get home tonight and never left my parts! I'm hoping to get the major guts of the unit Monday. The smaller parts (buttons, screws, 3g card) are already here.

The firmware may be an issue, but I'm wondering if there is a workaround to make it come together. Though I doubt I'm the first one to try this, I haven't seen anyone else discuss the process or the results.
Old 06-01-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
The Amazon firmware builds differ in the version number but have the same build id (at least for 2.5.7 (2.52.5.7) and 2.5.8 (2.52.5.8) ).
I **suspect** that Amazon means by that, that only configuration information is different.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
DragonLeHeart

The screen works well and everything seems to be going OK for the most part. I haven't tried to register it yet, but hope that goes well. The 3G card works well too. I'm half ready to do in the person who sold me the motherboard though, as they broke off some of the tabs that hold the ribbon cables. Also spent 3 hours looking for the volume button when it fell out (need a cleaner workspace :P). So far everything seems to be working pretty well together, but I really need to find a decent adhesive to get the cable for the scroll button to stay in place as every time I screw the midboard back on the cable falls out. For anyone who is thinking about using different case parts, the DXG back and the DX bezzel don't seem to want to connect very well.
I also managed to break the plastic on the speaker cable that connects the midboard (with built in speakers) to the motherboard. Cut the wires, use the wire strippers, soder on a piece from another speaker, a hot glue gun wrapper to cover the exposed soder (I'm out of electrical tape and the wires are really small) and a lot of swearing (too much caffeine and really hot tools don't mix) and we're back in business. Until the scroll button ribbon cable fell out...again. Of course everything is screwed tightly together and locked in place.
Well, as the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and I skimped on the motherboard and midboard prices (and would probably do it again based on my budget).
I will get it fixed and continue bench testing. Further updates pending soon
Anyone have any good ideas on decent adhesive or other ways to get the ribbon cable to stay connected?
Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 AM   #9
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonLeHeart View Post
The screen works well and everything seems to be going OK for the most part. I haven't tried to register it yet, but hope that goes well. The 3G card works well too. I'm half ready to do in the person who sold me the motherboard though, as they broke off some of the tabs that hold the ribbon cables. Also spent 3 hours looking for the volume button when it fell out (need a cleaner workspace :P). So far everything seems to be working pretty well together, but I really need to find a decent adhesive to get the cable for the scroll button to stay in place as every time I screw the midboard back on the cable falls out. For anyone who is thinking about using different case parts, the DXG back and the DX bezzel don't seem to want to connect very well.
I also managed to break the plastic on the speaker cable that connects the midboard (with built in speakers) to the motherboard. Cut the wires, use the wire strippers, soder on a piece from another speaker, a hot glue gun wrapper to cover the exposed soder (I'm out of electrical tape and the wires are really small) and a lot of swearing (too much caffeine and really hot tools don't mix) and we're back in business. Until the scroll button ribbon cable fell out...again. Of course everything is screwed tightly together and locked in place.
Well, as the saying goes "you get what you pay for" and I skimped on the motherboard and midboard prices (and would probably do it again based on my budget).
I will get it fixed and continue bench testing. Further updates pending soon
Anyone have any good ideas on decent adhesive or other ways to get the ribbon cable to stay connected?
Hot Glue.
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build, kindle dx, kindle dx graphite, kindle dxg