Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2012, 06:59 PM   #31
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
And, at the end of the day this was a really trivial problem. It could be fixed at any time, in a few seconds, by simply hitting Ctrl+R. It's nice that this memory leak is fixed, but I hope the devs focus their time and energy on adding or improving functionality rather than hunting down these kinds of bugs.
This was an issue that happened occasionally to me, sometimes with calibre, more often with Firefox. Either shutting down the program or rebooting stopped it from happening, so it was - as you say - a minor annoyance overall. But...

Personally, I like a good mix. I'd rather have programmers that care as much about keeping the code "clean" as they are with the latest "bells and whistles".

I know my satisfaction with Firefox has decrease since they've started their "quick release" updates. Just about the time I get used to the last set of changes, they've rolled out something else I need to get used to. And yet they're not fixing bugs that came up for releases ago.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:03 AM   #32
TomTanderson
TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TomTanderson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Eating Duck View Post
And, at the end of the day this was a really trivial problem. It could be fixed at any time, in a few seconds, by simply hitting Ctrl+R. It's nice that this memory leak is fixed, but I hope the devs focus their time and energy on adding or improving functionality rather than hunting down these kinds of bugs.
Sorry, Man Eating Duck but I intended to run this on a server and having any program running in that sort of an environment constantly eating memory is a complete no no and therefore a deal breaker. Without this fix I wouldn't have any features at all because I wouldn't be running it

Thanks for sorting this kovidgoyal

After the feedback from my initial post I really didn't think this was going to go anywhere but three days later there's a fix.

Suppose I'll have to donate now
TomTanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #33
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomTanderson View Post
Sorry, Man Eating Duck but I intended to run this on a server and having any program running in that sort of an environment constantly eating memory is a complete no no and therefore a deal breaker. Without this fix I wouldn't have any features at all because I wouldn't be running it
I see your point. That is a use case I didn't consider

I'm looking forward to the new backend structure which allows multiple users on the same db, that would also be useful to you, I guess.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #34
sgtrock
sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.sgtrock can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: various
Just to make things interesting, I too was recently hit by a memory leak. It wasn't the main program, though, it was calibre-parallel. And it wasn't on Windows, it was on Debian squeeze:

Quote:
jim@sgtrock:~$ uname -a
Linux sgtrock 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Sun May 6 04:00:17 UTC 2012 x86_64 GNU/Linux
This system has 4 GB of RAM, btw. The CPU is a quad core.

I had a hung magazine download going on for Cracked.Com, if that helps. It had been running for 627 minutes when I shut down the errant process. However, when I tried re-fetching manually, it completed just fine.
sgtrock is offline   Reply With Quote