Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-24-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Ready Player One -Ernie Cline

Okay, I usually don't recommend a book until I finish it...and this book may just be a bust at the end...but at the 75 page mark...I'm in love.

The book is Ready Player One by Ernie Cline...and I didn't even read the description, I read author blurbs and this one by John Scalzi sold me:

Quote:
"Imagine that Dungeons and Dragons and an '80s video arcade made hot, sweet love, and their child was raised in Azeroth. If you're not already experiencing a nerdgasm at the thought, I don't want to know you."
This just solidified the deal:

Quote:
Ready Player One expertly mines a copious vein of 1980s pop culture, catapulting the reader on a light-speed adventure in an advanced but backward-looking future. If this book were a living room, it would be wood-paneled. If it were shoes, it would be high-tops. And if it were a song, well, it would have to be 'Eye of the Tiger.' I really, really loved it."

I'm an 80's geek, I love everything 80's pulp culture. And this has it in droves...it's really really REALLY taken me back. From the Atari 800XL, to John Hughes, Back to the Future, A-Team, GI Joe....it's amazing.

It's all built around this tech giants last will and testament...he has no heirs, so he's basically created his own "easter egg", whoever finds the golden key wins his fortune. And was also homage to the Atari game "Adventure" which featured the very first "easter egg". Atari wasn't in the habit of giving credit to the person that developed the game, and he wrote in his own in a hidden panel of the game.

If you are an 80's geek...I think you'd enjoy it...it's not going to be a great piece of literature, but so far it's taken me back to my D&D days, and seeing those funny little dice for the first time...as well as Saturday morning cartoons and such....this my replace Enders Game as my favorite book.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Ready Player One expertly mines a copious vein of 1980s pop culture, catapulting the reader on a light-speed adventure in an advanced but backward-looking future. If this book were a living room, it would be wood-paneled. If it were shoes, it would be high-tops. And if it were a song, well, it would have to be 'Eye of the Tiger.' I really, really loved it."
I just bought it this AM--and will start it tonight. I read the above quote to my husband and he could barely wait until I pressed buy. Keep me posted as you read on...
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This book is an rpg players wet dream. At one point they talk about a certain d&d module in this game and go through it... the fact that I actually played that module made it super super cool. It's 1 of those books that you can't help but smile thinking about your childhood if you were alive in the eighty's
Old 08-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
crap.

thanks.

getting it lol.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:21 PM   #5
jhempel24
Wizard

Yeah I hate that feeling I had the exact same feeling right before I purchased lol.
Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Ah yes the 80's. Far far longer ago than I want to think about. lol (I started my teens in dec. of 83). There have been a lot of changes since then. No internet, no cd's or DVD's, cell phones looked like a large walkie talkie, most games didn't need batteries, moon boots and hacky sack, and of course no ebook readers like the Kindle.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
I loved this book, plowed through it in a day, which is a rare feat for me. The story is well written with carefully crafted characters and an obvious love for the subject matter. It doesn't just spout 80s references, it actually uses 80s culture in a way that makes the story seem more realistic and true.

I had a hard time getting passed the price tag, but after reading the free sample I just had to continue...It was totally worth it.
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:25 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Ouch! £9.58 in the Kindle store is too rich for an author I've never heard of.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:38 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I must have assurances that "A Flock of Seagulls" will not be mentioned in any kind of positive way, before I commit to purchasing this book.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #10
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
as i was searching for info / reviews / tidbits on the book i found this

Quote:

Another great original concept. Yesterday, writer Ernest "Ernie" Cline sold the rights to his debut novel to Random House for around $500K. A movie deal was sure to follow and it definitely did. Both AICN and Deadline report that Warner Bros won the bidding war that started up yesterday for Cline's new book titled Ready Player One. The book is a cyber thriller that Harry Knowles called "the most awesome 80's geek novel ever written" even though it's set in the future. Green Lantern producer Donald De Line negotiated the sale and will be producing for Warner. Cline will also be writing the first few drafts of the screenplay.
http://www.firstshowing.net/2010/wb-...dy-player-one/

neato
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
jktreads
jktreads began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color and I won a Kindle with ads!
I'm so glad that this thread was started, Ready Player One was great, all the way to the end. I wish it were longer because I really enjoyed reading it. I didn't get all the pop culture references, but I sure got most of them...and appreciated that this author seemed to have participated in the same activitites that I did and we had a common frame of reference.

I'm glad to hear that it may be made into a movie, I'd love to see how they accomplish the intricacies of the story.
jktreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:00 PM   #12
jktreads
jktreads began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color and I won a Kindle with ads!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I must have assurances that "A Flock of Seagulls" will not be mentioned in any kind of positive way, before I commit to purchasing this book.
Oh, you should be ok, I don't recall ANY reference to A Flock of Seagulls! And this debut book by a new author is well worth the price of the book...you'll want to race through it the first time, then re-read again to explore the nuances and the references to the 80's. I finished the book and then started over again to pick up on stuff I might have missed the first time through.

THIS BOOK WILL NOT DISAPPOINT...and if it does, you don't belong on this forum...lol
jktreads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktreads
you'll want to race through it the first time, then re-read again to explore the nuances and the references to the 80's. I finished the book and then started over again to pick up on stuff I might have missed the first time through.
Well, I probably haven't been inspired to re-read a book since the 80's. So while I take your enthusiasm as a very good sign, a really, really good one-time read will be more than enough to satisfy me.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:14 PM   #14
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
With some many books out there, and so little time, I can honestly say I'm not a big fan of re-reads either. I did just buy this, however, and am looking forward to a one-time read.

And, before anyone chimes in with "...but haven't you ever watched a film more than once....or.....is a one-time listening enough as it relates to a song"? Let me state that, while I have seen several movies more than once, and routinely listen to my favorite songs more than once, you are talking about a 4 or 5 minute investment of your time (with songs) and a 2 hour investment (with a movie). Not a 10-15 hour, multi day investment (as with books).
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Ouch! £9.58 in the Kindle store is too rich for an author I've never heard of.
I have no idea what it costs in the UK version of the Kobo store, but it is $9.99 CAD and I used a one time 20% coupon (that is still live, I believe).
taming is offline   Reply With Quote