Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #1
cactustak
cactustak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Likely (was Possible) v1.9.6 firmware bug

For the record:
- I rarely connect my Kobo Touch to a computer. Usually I sideload books. However, whenever I do connect my Kobo to a computer, I always disconnect it properly - I disconnect the USB device in Windows before unplugging the cable.
- I have submitted a ticket with Kobo Customer Care.

Background:
- I updated my Kobo Touch firmware from v1.9.5 to v1.9.6 over wifi on Saturday
- sideloaded a bunch of books on Saturday and Sunday, everything was working fine

- powered on my Kobo Touch on Monday morning, and got an "Internal Storage" error.

Since then, I have followed the following process 5 times, and every time I get the same behaviour:

- Powered off the Kobo Touch
- removed the microSD card
- Powered on the Kobo Touch
- performed a factory reset
- once factory reset has completed, powered on the Kobo Touch
- connected it to my PC, running Kobo Desktop v2.0.3
- upgraded firmware to 1.9.6
- disconnected from PC properly (disconnect USB device in Windows before unplugging cable)
- waited for firmware to install
- once firmware has installed, powered off the Kobo Touch
- powered on the Kobo touch, and read the 2 default books - the Quick Guide and Read On books - so that my home page is the empty page.
- powered off the Kobo touch
- inserted the microSD card
- powered on the Kobo touch, waited for it to process the content.
- went to the Library, and selected a book - call it "book 1"

The behaviour I am seeing is this:
- while reading "book 1", if I go to the home page, it is shown as the most recently read book
- while reading "book 1", if I put the Kobo Touch to sleep, its cover is displayed and when I wake it up, it is shown as the most recently read book
==> when I power off the Kobo Touch, the cover for "book 1" is displayed. However, when I power on the Kobo Touch, I see the empty home page, and then it is populated as if it is re-processing the sideloaded books. As such, "book 1" is not on the home page at all.

I'm assuming this is a bug with the v1.9.6 firmware, as this behaviour did not occur with the v1.9.5 firmware (I had to do a factory reset after getting the "Internal Storage" error with the v1.9.5 firmware, too).

This procedure is completely reproducible (at least for me). I'll update this thread as I get info from Kobo ... just thought folks should know.

Last edited by cactustak; 07-19-2011 at 12:43 PM.
cactustak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactustak View Post
For the record:
- I rarely connect my Kobo Touch to a computer. Usually I sideload books. However, whenever I do connect my Kobo to a computer, I always disconnect it properly - I disconnect the USB device in Windows before unplugging the cable.
- I have submitted a ticket with Kobo Customer Care.

Background:
- I updated my Kobo Touch firmware from v1.9.5 to v1.9.6 over wifi on Saturday
- sideloaded a bunch of books on Saturday and Sunday, everything was working fine

- powered on my Kobo Touch on Monday morning, and got an "Internal Storage" error.

Since then, I have followed the following process 5 times, and every time I get the same behaviour:

- Powered off the Kobo Touch
- removed the microSD card
- Powered on the Kobo Touch
- performed a factory reset
- once factory reset has completed, powered on the Kobo Touch
- connected it to my PC, running Kobo Desktop v2.0.3
- upgraded firmware to 1.9.6
- disconnected from PC properly (disconnect USB device in Windows before unplugging cable)
- waited for firmware to install
- once firmware has installed, powered off the Kobo Touch
- powered on the Kobo touch, and read the 2 default books - the Quick Guide and Read On books - so that my home page is the empty page.
- powered off the Kobo touch
- inserted the microSD card
- powered on the Kobo touch, waited for it to process the content.
- went to the Library, and selected a book - call it "book 1"

The behaviour I am seeing is this:
- while reading "book 1", if I go to the home page, it is shown as the most recently read book
- while reading "book 1", if I put the Kobo Touch to sleep, its cover is displayed and when I wake it up, it is shown as the most recently read book
==> when I power off the Kobo Touch, the cover for "book 1" is displayed. However, when I power on the Kobo Touch, I see the empty home page, and then it is populated as if it is re-processing the sideloaded books. As such, "book 1" is not on the home page at all.

I'm assuming this is a bug with the v1.9.6 firmware, as this behaviour did not occur with the v1.9.5 firmware (I had to do a factory reset after getting the "Internal Storage" error with the v1.9.5 firmware, too).

This procedure is completely reproducible (at least for me). I'll update this thread as I get info from Kobo ... just thought folks should know.
I know when i Power my Kobo off it cycles to the main memory and shows the books in the main memory as if they are current reads. A few seconds later it will cycle to the Sd CArd and then every thing is as it should be. It has always done this.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
cactustak
cactustak began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Yes, it used to do that for me as well, even with v1.9.6.

Again, this issue only started happening after I had to do a factory reset and then apply v1.9.6.

And this is definitely a v1.9.6 issue, as I have since performed a factory reset and manually upgraded to the v1.9.5 firmware - home page is working properly after a power cycle.

So, I guess I'm staying on v1.9.5 until either I hear back from Kobo, or there's another firmware update.

wheeeeee
cactustak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
I had a similar problem where the books I was reading were gone from the home page. I have tracked the problem to the date.

After doing a factory reset I loaded back my books. Then after it processed the books, I changed the date, because it had changed the Time Zone. After that every book I was reading was disappearing from the home screen, Because the books I had added previously had a newer date/time than the current one.

My guess is wait until you reach the previous date and they will stay there.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote