Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2009, 01:42 AM   #16
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Nope, your pretty much stuck once ya buy from itunes. Refunds are hard to get.

On a side note, in normal use, ya dont really see a difference between a dual core 2.0gig proc and a 2.6 quad core (my desktop). Cause of dl probs i had a crap load of duplicate copies of songs on both my laptop (the dual core 2.0) and my desktop with the 2.6 quad core processor and OMG, the difference is night and day. Taking forever for the laptop to deleted the 42 gigs (again cause of stupid dl and duplicate probs while i was figuring out how to take the stuff off my ipod and put it on the comp).

Took all of 2 mins on my desk top. Custom built and designed alienware computers rock.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #17
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Any luck figuring anything out?
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Sorry, I went to bed. My only suggestion if you can't find software to convert it by Googling for it, is to burn and rip it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 10:31 AM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
Its not possible to convert them I dont think, they are protected files (drm crap)
You can't burn it to a CD?

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 04-14-2009 at 01:48 PM.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #20
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Not sure, Im assuming I could, but thats an a lot of work just to put something onto the kindle.
Advert
Old 04-14-2009, 01:49 PM   #21
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Not sure, Im assuming I could, but thats an a lot of work just to put something onto the kindle.
True. Personally I stick to my iPod for my audio books. Also, as we have discussed before, getting an MP3 player for audio books or music is not very expensive, keeps the storage on the reading devices for ebooks and also usually has much better sound and music management ability.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 05:38 PM   #22
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
sigh is a pain, if its even possible. Maybe im just better off using ipod to play the books.
Probably. I've never seen the appeal of using the Kindle for Audio books anyway, since it's so big and bulky to carry around relative to an iPod or other mp3 player.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 06:59 PM   #23
avaloncourt
Enthusiast
avaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 1 & 2
I didn't realize this thread was ongoing. Unfortunately, books bought through iTunes are locked to any Apple device (iPod/iPhone) associated with the iTunes installation and can't be shifted to another kind of player. This is why I specifically never used iTunes as the purchasing route.

Did you just purchase a book outright or was this related to an existing Audible account subscription credit? If it's the former there really isn't anything you can do with the file because it's iPod-specific in format. If it's the latter then there is hope. When I was an Audible subscriber I had the Audible download manager on the same computer as iTunes. The download manager recognizes that there is an iTunes installation and allows you to wash purchases through the download manager and into iTunes properly formatted for iPod use. Those files then show up in your audiobook folder in iTunes.

The huge advantage for the second way is that your Audible account permits you to re-download the book as often as you like just like the Kindle store. You can re-trigger the download from within your account manager on the Audible site. You can then get it again for another device.

If you did the purchase based on having an Audible account already then you're good to go. Just log into Audible and redownload.

If you didn't have an account and bought outright you can fix that. You got an invoice emailed to you for your iTunes purchase. Sometimes they're a little laggy but you should have got it by now. In that email it will show you a line item of your book purchase. There is a 'report a problem' link behind the title. Click on that and it will launch iTunes and send you to the same page on iTunes. Click on 'report a problem' a pick the appropriate reason. I don't remember the exact problem list but one selection will probably be 'wrong item purchased.' There will probably also be one for 'Can't play purchase.' I'd choose wrong item purchased since that will be the least hassle. Apple will then refund your purchase back into your iTunes account as a credit.

Now you can go back to Audible and set up an account if you don't already have one. You can then download and redownload to your heart's content.

Last edited by avaloncourt; 04-14-2009 at 07:21 PM.
avaloncourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 11:20 PM   #24
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

Unfortunately I bought it through Itunes. I now get why people were complainin about the kindle 2 being limited to 2 gigs. Some of the audio books are bigger than 2 gigs lol. Im thinking that the kindle was never meant for audio books,
Old 04-15-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
avaloncourt
Enthusiast
avaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-booksavaloncourt has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
I now get why people were complainin about the kindle 2 being limited to 2 gigs. Some of the audio books are bigger than 2 gigs lol. Im thinking that the kindle was never meant for audio books,
What is it that you're trying to download for the Kindle? That's an outrageously large file size. I always downloaded in "format 4" which both Kindles support. I always downloaded unabridged versions and the largest book I got was 32 hours long. The total of the four parts of that audio book was only 440MB.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 PM   #26
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Im thinking that the kindle was never meant for audio books,
It's just a tacked on feature to add another bullet point to the feature list.

It's an ebook reader from Amazon who has the largest ebook store. They want people to buy ebooks. And again, as I said above, it's really to bulky for audio book use for most compared to a tiny mp3 player.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:15 PM   #27
avaloncourt
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
It's an ebook reader from Amazon who has the largest ebook store. They want people to buy ebooks. And again, as I said above, it's really to bulky for audio book use for most compared to a tiny mp3 player.
But Amazon also owns Audible, the largest audiobook seller. You'd think they'd try to multipurpose considering they have a corner on the market.
Old 04-16-2009, 12:17 AM   #28
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaloncourt View Post
But Amazon also owns Audible, the largest audiobook seller. You'd think they'd try to multipurpose considering they have a corner on the market.
I suppose, but still difficult with an ereader since it has to be fairly large to have a decent screen for reading, when audiobooks are probably mostly used on the go and thus better suited to tiny mp3 players.