Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-04-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
spacesurfer
spacesurfer began at the beginning.

Device: Google Play Books
How to make Gujarati text while editing appear normally

How can I make the Gujarati text in the code editing view appear normal like in the preview? See attached images.

In preview, you can see the Gujarati the way it should show:
Click image for larger version

Name:	preview.png
Views:	287
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	146873

In the code view, you can see that the vowel signs that are supposed to combine do not combine:
Click image for larger version

Name:	code.png
Views:	281
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	146874

It makes editing very very difficult.

Thanks all for your support.
spacesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:22 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
That is certainly strange. How you tried changing the Sigil Preferences for the font used in Codeview to see if it impacts the situation at all?
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
This also might be relevant:
https://codereview.qt-project.org/#/c/106973/

It seems Qt fontconfig has a typo that impacts this language. Is this a Mac, Windows, or Linux environment?

If Mac, this might be a unicode normalization issue as Macs natively use a different unicode normalization for composing and decomposing combined characters than most platforms.

Last edited by KevinH; 03-04-2016 at 10:58 PM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:14 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@spacesurfer: I wasn't able to reproduce this issue with the 64bit Sigil Windows version no matter which CodeView font I selected.

Spoiler:

This is most likely a Windows font mapping issue. Do you have fonts with Gujarati support other than Arial Unicode MS, Nirmala UI or Nirmala UI Semilight installed and/or are you missing Arial Unicode MS?

If so try to temporarily uninstall all fonts with Gujarati support except for Arial Unicode MS to see if this fixes the problem.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:45 AM   #5
spacesurfer

Thank for the responses.

I'm using different computers and ALL of them have the same problem. I'm using a Windows 7 32-bit computer at work with Sigil portable 32-bit (downloaded from portableapps.com) because I can't install software on work computers.

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit version (home on one and pro on another) and both have the same problem.

I was using the portable 32-bit version and based on suggestion above I installed 64-bit version and still the same problem.

I don't have any fonts installed except Arial Unicode MS, Shruti (which comes with Windows), Nirmal UI (which comes with Windows), and I installed Noto Sans Gujarati. I removed Noto Sans Gujarati but still no go.

As can be seen in my original images, the software automatically picks up on Arial Unicode MS as the default font for editing in Code View and the Noto Sans Gujarati font that is embedded for the Preview view.

Any more light on this issue is appreciated, especially since Doitsu is not having this issue based on his screenshot... That is what I would like to see... makes a world of difference when it displays correctly.
Advert
Old 03-11-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What version(s) of Sigil are you using?
I only ask because you mentioned the "portable" version of Sigil. And while it's barely notable by itself that there are no "official" portable versions of Sigil, what's more relevant is that there's no "recent" portableapps versions of Sigil available (to my knowledge).

I'm sure Doitsu is using a recent version of Sigil; I just want to make sure you are, as well.

EDIT: never mind. It's apparent from your screenshots that you're using Sigil 0.9.3.

The only suggestion I would have would be to back-up, and then temporarily remove/relocate the Sigil.ini file to eliminate the possibility of any residual influence/corruption leftover from the portableapps (or simply an older) version. Probably a longshot, but it's worth a try since Doitsu's experience proves its possible for it to work correctly.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-11-2016 at 10:07 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm sure Doitsu is using a recent version of Sigil; I just want to make sure you are, as well.
I used the latest official 64bit Sigil 0.9.3 Windows release on a 64bit Windows 10 machine for my test. And I also tested the same file with the unofficial PortableApps 0.9.3 Sigil version (with the same results).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacesurfer View Post
As can be seen in my original images, the software automatically picks up on Arial Unicode MS as the default font for editing in Code View and the Noto Sans Gujarati font that is embedded for the Preview view.
Based on the glyphs in your first screenshot, I'm pretty sure that Sigil does not pick up Arial Unicode MS as a code view font. If you're using a localized Windows version with an Indic UI language, it might come with additional Indic fonts that get picked up instead of Arial Unicode MS, which is a fallback font that is only used if glyphs aren't found in the main system fonts.

In addition to DiapDealer's suggestion try the following:

1. Download, unpack and open BabelPad.
2. In BabelPad, select Fonts > Single Font and select 48 as the font size.
3. Open a Gujarati epub with Sigil, copy a random paragraph, switch to Code View mode and increase the zoom factor to 200%.
4. Paste the paragraph into BabelPad.
5. Change the font in BabelPad to a font with Gujarati support and compare the text with the Code View text.
6. Repeat step 5, until the BabelPad text is displayed in the same font.
7. Close Sigil and move the font(s) that you've identified in step #5 from the Windows/Fonts folder to a temp folder.
8. Re-open the Gujarati epub with Sigil and check the Code View window.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I used the latest official 64bit Sigil 0.9.3 Windows release on a 64bit Windows 10 machine for my test. And I also tested the same file with the unofficial PortableApps 0.9.3 Sigil version (with the same results)..
I was unaware that PortableApps had caught up to us. I believe they were sill on the 0.8x series last I looked. Good to know!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:13 PM   #9
spacesurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Based on the glyphs in your first screenshot, I'm pretty sure that Sigil does not pick up Arial Unicode MS as a code view font. If you're using a localized Windows version with an Indic UI language, it might come with additional Indic fonts that get picked up instead of Arial Unicode MS, which is a fallback font that is only used if glyphs aren't found in the main system fonts.
The first screenshot shows Noto Sans Gujarati font. It shows that because I'm using the font-face property to embed the font and my stylesheets point to that font.

However in the code view, that is 100% Arial Unicode MS. Just like in your screen shot it's Arial Unicode MS. It's not Nirmal UI or Shruti.

Tags
editing view, gujarati, sigil