Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-23-2016, 05:58 PM   #46
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As to the formatting I suggest no line-height (go with default), no font-size for the base font size (again use the default), do not left justify the text. Full justify is what you want. Also, don't use paragraph spaces as they are hard to read and the space distracts. Also, don't use silly space for thing like chapter headings. I've seen eBooks with 14% space for the chapter title and that's just poor form.
I'd definitely say develop your own preferences, or go with what the client wants...
my preferences: 1.2 line-height, 100% font-size, , always left-justify, full justify is abhorrent, Use paragraph spaces when needed/wanted to enhance the story (eg scene breaks). And use a discreet amount of chapter title space, but only if necessary for a specific design/look you want. Remember this is an ebook and does not have to look like the pbook.

And remember that MY preferences are always more important, and correct, than anyone elses!
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 05:35 AM   #47
DrewBoyd
DrewBoyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thanks so much guys! I'm roaming around this forum pretty much every night learning so much every day -- this has been so much fun. I especially appreciate the tutorial suggestion.

My partner writes her books in Word and I have been converting them in Calibre and shoving them up on Amazon. But now that they've changed how they calculate the KENPC for their KindleUnlimited program, it's well worth it to learn to actually code the books to maximize the number of pages they assign a book.

I definitely want consistent styling across all of her pen names. I can't believe how easy it is to make adjustments using style sheets!

ETA: How AWESOME is that REGEX thing? I mean... wow... I don't even think I fully understand it yet but my mind is whirling.

Last edited by DrewBoyd; 02-24-2016 at 05:48 AM.
DrewBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2016, 08:19 AM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBoyd View Post
ETA: How AWESOME is that REGEX thing? I mean... wow... I don't even think I fully understand it yet but my mind is whirling.
Ahhh... I sense the birth of a new addict. Remember to only use your regex-fu for good.

http://regular-expressions.info
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 08:40 AM   #49
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Ahhh... I sense the birth of a new addict. Remember to only use your regex-fu for good.

http://regular-expressions.info
Are we going to tell Drew that one should always make a backup before doing any serious regex stuff (especially involving asterisks...)? It's better to learn it the hard way, isn't it?
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 01:57 PM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Are we going to tell Drew that one should always make a backup before doing any serious regex stuff (especially involving asterisks...)? It's better to learn it the hard way, isn't it?
I think I kinda covered that here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=33 but, in case Drew didn't see it:

NEVER NEVER NEVER try to learn regex without backing up first. Make a copy. Put that in a dropbox. Back it up again. You can NEVER be too careful with regex, esp. when learning.

Oh, for $40? RegexBuddy is your friend. It's mine. (Friend, I mean, not my program).

There you go, DubShuff. Happy now? :-)

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-24-2016 at 01:57 PM. Reason: RE; Note to DubShuff
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-29-2016, 01:34 PM   #51
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I may be a bit late to this party but an observation as I don't think it has been mentioned - LiveCSS in Calibre's editor is a good way to get the machine to tell you just why it's displaying something the way it is.

A very useful tool for debugging css.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #52
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I may be a bit late to this party but an observation as I don't think it has been mentioned - LiveCSS in Calibre's editor is a good way to get the machine to tell you just why it's displaying something the way it is.

A very useful tool for debugging css.

BobC
Preview Pane has the inspector at the bottom (can be resized). This is similar to the one built into Firefox
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:39 AM   #53
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Preview Pane has the inspector at the bottom (can be resized). This is similar to the one built into Firefox
I was aware of it and also in other Web browsers; Although Inspector works, I find it rather fiddly to get it to display the bit I'm interested in; not as handy as Calibre's LiveCSS. This isn't a complaint - jut a personal view.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:58 AM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
I was aware of it and also in other Web browsers; Although Inspector works, I find it rather fiddly to get it to display the bit I'm interested in; not as handy as Calibre's LiveCSS. This isn't a complaint - jut a personal view.
I agree. The LiveCSS feature is awfully handy. I suppose the Web Inspector is also, but I just don't use/need it all that often.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #55
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I agree. The LiveCSS feature is awfully handy. I suppose the Web Inspector is also, but I just don't use/need it all that often.
Hmmm...speaking of new addicts, I hadn't tried that yet. I shall go forth and see what I can see!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 03:51 AM   #56
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I never use Web Inspector to be honest. I made that as small as possible and had even forgotten about it. Since I do not use the Calibre Editor, I have no opinion about LiveCSS.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote