Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-22-2016, 01:15 PM   #31
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Ding-ding-ding! We have a winner. This specifies that all tags have a margin left and right. That includes empty spans, italics, bold, the works. What are you trying to accomplish with this? I guess you only want this for the paragraph tag. If so, replace the asterisk with p.
Winner winner chicken dinner. ;-)

(Thank God. I thought I was losing my mind. I was starting to contemplate font-based issues...)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:25 PM   #32
DrewBoyd
DrewBoyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Thank you all SO MUCH for all the help!! I mean I knew it must be something stupid that I was doing but obviously had no idea what it could be.

Now I can go on and get them finished -- I've got 23 books to recreate in Sigil and this was just stopping me in my tracks.

Again, thanks so much to all of you -- I'm an incredibly happy woman right now!
DrewBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2016, 06:55 PM   #33
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBoyd View Post
Thank you all SO MUCH for all the help!! I mean I knew it must be something stupid that I was doing but obviously had no idea what it could be.

Now I can go on and get them finished -- I've got 23 books to recreate in Sigil and this was just stopping me in my tracks.

Again, thanks so much to all of you -- I'm an incredibly happy woman right now!
Drew:

You are most welcome. MR is always happy to help those who are genuinely trying. Just remember: until you are more experienced,

* =bad.
Specificity=good.

And I'm not mean. You have NO IDEA of the wreckage I've surveyed, after my dalliances with a wildcard in Regex. The only thing that kept me from throat-slitting was that at LEAST, I'd had the sense to always, always, keep a back-up of any file with which I mess. But had I not? Zoiks and oish.

There will come the time when you can deploy those with ease..but probably, not yet.

(I am refraining from telling the horror story about the time I helpfully regexed a client's file [no...no backup. Last time THAT ever happened--read on for the "why"] in, I think, 2009, and wiped out ALL of her italics. Every last bit. On a book that was rolling in them, as she used italics for all inner thought. I'd completedthe book, mind you--this was the very. last. thing. THAT was my lesson. Don't even breathe without backups now.)

Hitch
Old 02-22-2016, 07:27 PM   #34
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
(Thank God. I thought I was losing my mind. I was starting to contemplate font-based issues...)
I love it when we instantly jump into the deep end when trying to deduce what could cause a given issue, and then it turns out to be as simple as "is it plugged in"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewBoyd View Post
23 books you say? What are they about? Seems like a decently sized project.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:04 PM   #35
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
I love it when we instantly jump into the deep end when trying to deduce what could cause a given issue, and then it turns out to be as simple as "is it plugged in"?
Aw. c'mon! We are all seekers of "interesting stuff," right? Who'dathunk that it wasn't plugged in? :-)

Quote:
23 books you say? What are they about? Seems like a decently sized project.
Indeed.

Hitch

Last edited by Hitch; 02-23-2016 at 12:19 PM.
Advert
Old 02-22-2016, 11:46 PM   #36
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Aw. c'mon! We are all seekers of "interesting stuff," right? Who'dathunk that it wasn't plugged in? :-)
It really helped that it took Drew so long to figure out how to post the stylesheet, didn't it? It was great fun watching the experts speculate.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:49 PM   #37
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
It really helped that it took Drew so long to figure out how to post the stylesheet, didn't it? It was great fun watching the experts speculate.
Proof positive that we're all grossly overpaid, and don't work nearly enough hours in the day. (Hitch now ducks and seeks cover...) <snort>

I agree that it's somewhat interesting--when we are grinding through this kind of thing in our own shops, we're sneering at the markup to bow, bow in submission! And then what do we do? We come HERE to hang out and relax and...troubleshoot code for other folks. Christ, it's like we all go to Cop Bars when we get off shift. :-)

Hitch
Old 02-23-2016, 12:09 AM   #38
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Well, the great thing about this kind of thread is their high educational value for non-experts like me. I knew of course that the asterisk serves as a wildcard in searches, but I had no idea you could (but shouldn't!) use it in CSS the same way.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 12:18 AM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Well, the great thing about this kind of thread is their high educational value for non-experts like me. I knew of course that the asterisk serves as a wildcard in searches, but I had no idea you could (but shouldn't!) use it in CSS the same way.
Well...abalooley, not when you're learning. :-) After all, that's why they are called WILD. <snicker>

Hitch
Old 02-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #40
DrewBoyd
DrewBoyd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Heck I didn't really even click to the fact that I was using a wild card -- I mean I knew what it was but I didn't contemplate how powerful it would be.

I borrowed the stylesheet from a gentleman and then set about trying to learn the basics from there. I have to say that this has all be really fun to work with and learn. I imagine I'll be here at some point in the future trying once again to figure out what I've done wrong.

At least then I'll know how to post the stylesheet right away. That way you guys can spend your time hitting real coder's bars and downing a few instead of handholding me and reminding me to plug the dang thing in.

The 23 books I've got to format are all my partner's books. Now that Amazon has changed the way they calculate KENPC for KindleUnlimited, it's well worth the time to figure out how to take control of formatting our books properly.

And it's great fun besides. Thanks again for all your help!
DrewBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 11:19 AM   #41
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
No problem, happy to help!
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 02:55 PM   #42
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@DrewBoyd - if you don't already have it may I suggest keeping Pablo's EPUB tutorial at your elbow.

And there's a lot of relevant material in the MR Wiki MobileRead Wiki - ePub

Added - what did your partner use to create the books?

If it was MS Word or similar then there are tools that will do a decent convert from DOCX to EPUB. IMO these three are worth considering:- Calibre Conversion, Calibre ebook-editor import and the e-Book Tools Word add-in. The last one has several useful features unrelated to e-books per-se.

Good luck BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-23-2016 at 04:04 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:19 PM   #43
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If you are starting with a clean source (not PDF) it may be even easier

(assumes: simple, fiction book styling. Consistent source styling within a series)

Grouped Saved Searches. That is almost a script of the series of S&R steps you used (and saved).

I have a 'Word Cruft' set made of individual 'removals' make each search fix only a single cosmetic (code) flaw so no matter the order they appear
Be very careful of the ORDER you perform chained (group) S&R. Order MATTERS in many cases or you mangle a later step.

I have another to scale font sizes from HTML named to em that I run on a CSS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:23 PM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
That reminds me. I was doing tech support and someone called in for a computer that wasn't turning on. The person was asked if it was plugged in and it was to a power strip and then was asked if a different socket was tried. The answer was yes. So I went to have a look and it was a defective socket on the power strip.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:30 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you want consistent looking eBooks, once you get your first one finished and looking good, take the stylesheet from that eBooks and use it for the next eBook. You can then apply the already created styles to keep the same look. If you have to add more styles, do so and then use that stylesheet for the next one and so on. Then all the eBooks you've created will have a consistent look to them. This is especially good for books in a series.

As to the formatting I suggest no line-height (go with default), no font-size for the base font size (again use the default), do not left justify the text. Full justify is what you want. Also, don't use paragraph spaces as they are hard to read and the space distracts. Also, don't use silly space for thing like chapter headings. I've seen eBooks with 14% space for the chapter title and that's just poor form.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote