Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-17-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Organizing the book / file names

Good day! I am building an epub "omnibus" of five earlier e-books, using Sigil. Since starting the project, I've decided to switch one of the books around, so that the third volume becomes Book One, the first becomes Book Two, and the second becomes Book Three. I have made the appropriate changes so that the html TOC works correctly (and I will in time similarly tweak the virtual TOC).

However, something in my upbringing dislikes seeing the Book One file in the middle of the pack, and having a higher sort order (0016.htm) than Book Two (0001.htm) or Book Three (0012.htm). Is this just madness? Or should I go back and fix what doesn't seem to be broken?

Thanks!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Good day! I am building an epub "omnibus" of five earlier e-books, using Sigil. Since starting the project, I've decided to switch one of the books around, so that the third volume becomes Book One, the first becomes Book Two, and the second becomes Book Three. I have made the appropriate changes so that the html TOC works correctly (and I will in time similarly tweak the virtual TOC).

However, something in my upbringing dislikes seeing the Book One file in the middle of the pack, and having a higher sort order (0016.htm) than Book Two (0001.htm) or Book Three (0012.htm). Is this just madness? Or should I go back and fix what doesn't seem to be broken?

Thanks!
N J
Remember the TOC editor can be used to rename section titles (this does not change the file names) as well as hide unwanted items.

Instead of Book 1...
Why not just use the original Title?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
However, something in my upbringing dislikes seeing the Book One file in the middle of the pack, and having a higher sort order (0016.htm) than Book Two (0001.htm) or Book Three (0012.htm). Is this just madness? Or should I go back and fix what doesn't seem to be broken?!
That's entirely up to you. Most readers will never see the internal file names anyway. But if you decide you can't live with the cosmetic discrepancy, then Sigil's bulk rename feature should make it trivial to change.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

Thanks!
Having incorrect internal filenames is obviously morally offensive.

(Practically, no one will actually see it, but you KNOW it will just sit in the back of your mind bothering you until you fix it.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 05:36 AM   #5
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Having incorrect internal filenames is obviously morally offensive.

(Practically, no one will actually see it, but you KNOW it will just sit in the back of your mind bothering you until you fix it.)
All very true, but I think I can live with it.

Thanks to all!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-19-2016, 01:36 AM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
I would probably just do a more logical filenaming convention like:

Method A:

TableofContents.xhtml
Introduction.xhtml
Book1-Chap01.xhtml
Book1-Chap02.xhtml
[...]
Book5-Chap01.xhtml

Method B:

00-TableofContents.xhtml
01-Introduction.xhtml
02-Book1-Chap01.xhtml
03-Book1-Chap02.xhtml
[...]
99-Book5-Chap01.xhtml

This is also helpful if you uncompress the EPUB and use other tools on the files, then reimport elsewhere. Because the Method A/B filenames ALREADY sort in their proper order (or near proper order), you don't have to waste time manually reordering files in Calibre/Sigil.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote