Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-17-2016, 02:32 PM   #1
Sinom Bre
Sinom Bre began at the beginning.

Device: Moon+ Pro 3.4.1 with Calibre Comp. on tablet; Calibre 2.49.0 on PC
Sigil 0.9.x CSS refresh problem

I use Sigil 0.9.2, and I have the same problem as originally discussed here. Any changes I make to my external stylesheet is not reflected in the view pane unless I close the program and open the file again. I've check my CSS and HTML again the version checkers, investigated CSS inheritance problems, etc., etc. I still can't get the changes to the stylesheet reflected to the html file without going through hoops.

This should be automatic, in my opinion. The stylesheet rules the document, and any changes should be immediately effected once you hit the save button (or even without, perhaps). At least there should be a REFRESH button that updates everything at that point. I don't want to have to close tabs or the program--it drastically affects productivity.

I really don't have a solution or a particular sage piece of advice. Only airing a concern.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2016 at 08:41 AM.
Sinom Bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
On what OS are you running Sigil? I use Windows 10 (64-bit) and all changes in my stylesheet are reflected immediately in the Preview pane. It has been like that as long as I know. Of course as long as the stylesheet is correct.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 03:44 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
On what OS are you running Sigil? I use Windows 10 (64-bit) and all changes in my stylesheet are reflected immediately in the Preview pane.
Same here. On various Windows versions and Linux.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 03:54 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
External Stylesheet???
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:07 PM   #5
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
I have that sometimes... Win 7 64 Sigil various versions. Sometimes Sigil seems to get a state where changes in ths CSS wernt refected neither in Bookview nor in Preview. If that happens i need to close and re-open Sigil. Happens not very often but i cant reproduce it.
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
External Stylesheet???
That kind of worried me too. It IS still technically called an external stylesheet (even when it's entirely within Sigil), but I have to wonder if he/she's trying to maintain css that's actually external to Sigil itself (which of course won't work)?
Old 01-17-2016, 04:23 PM   #7
rubeus
Banned
rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rubeus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650
My guess: internal = in the xhtml file using the style element
External=separate stylesheet file inside sigil
rubeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 05:10 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe the override style sheets (e.g. ToC and Index) that can be put in ...\sigil-ebook\sigil are loaded at start up.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:36 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
If the stylesheet becomes malformed, sometimes Sigil seems to wait for it to be good.

Terminology

I say: Style section for the current file
inline styles (part of the current paragraph)
Stylesheet x , or z (part of the book)

I would never think of expecting a true external (computer/wan) stylesheet to be usable except to import into the book
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:44 PM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I would never think of expecting a true external (computer/wan) stylesheet to be usable except to import into the book
I don't think the OP is either. But I wanted to be sure. Any stylesheet that exists outside of the (x)html file is an external stylesheet. I just wanted to make sure their external stylesheet is in the Styles folder of the current epub being worked on.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:04 PM   #11
Sinom Bre

Exclamation I just now got an email notification of activity on this post. O_o

I run Sigil on Windows 7 SP 1. I despise the whole Win8 Metro thing, and I am waiting for Windows 10 to mature and season a bit before upgrading, although what I am hearing is mostly good. A little aging and a few less-than-point-one upgrades, and it'll be in good shape. I give it a year.

On to the point: "External Stylesheet" is probably a general misnomer by me and others. I mean a separate file that has to be linked-to in the document html to implement the style elements rather than putting those elements in the html document itself and replicating it for every section00XX.html for a particular epub. Those are called "in-line stylesheets", I believe.

I have a real problem with changes not showing up in the html document in WYSIWYG view when I make changes to the linked style sheet. The quickest and dirtiest solution I've found is to use the ePUB reader plug-in for Firefox and simply put a bookmark for that epub file on my Bookmarks Toolbar. It's a one button refresh (and an alt+tab program switch) but it's quick and works.

Thanks for the comments. I may just be having an OS version problem, same as "rubeus". I can't really find any reason for it, and I've scoured the program for options and prefs.

Cheers!
Sinom Bre

Last edited by Sinom Bre; 01-22-2016 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Spelling, grammar, and white space.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:17 PM   #12
Sinom Bre

Why is there so much space after my last post? Just as a point of reference, I am not so much a writer of ebooks but a cleaner. Some of them have so much unnecessary crap code in them, it boggles the mind, and it makes for a poor look in any reader, especially converted PDF files. Yuck. I'm just anal retentive enough that it bugs continuously. It also doubtless causes presentation difficulties across multiple readers, as well, unless the reader program defaults to "ignore stylesheets" like Moon+ does. Even unchecking that option brings only marginal improvements.

And Calibre2, while great at what it does in terms of management, adds its own crap to the code. I suppose Koyal has reason to do this, considering the state of some of what gets imported, but in my dealings, it gets in the way as much as it helps. I wish I could just turn off Calibre2's style sheet additions, but I haven't found a way to do that.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and I apologize for the lateness of mine. I subscribed to the thread, so I don't know why I didn't get any notices. I check my junk folder frequently.

Cheers!

Last edited by Sinom Bre; 01-22-2016 at 01:19 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 01-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

The only time I've ever experienced CSS changes not being immediately applied is when the change was made to an external sheet that was being applied via an @import statement in the linked external CSS file.

Meaning in the xhtml:
Code:
<link href="../Styles/MainStyle.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
in MainStyle.css:
Code:
@import url(../Styles/epub.css);
and finally in epub.css:
Code:
p.blah { text-indent:1.2em; }
Changes to epub.css would not take effect until a Sigil restart.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:00 AM   #14
John2011
Enthusiast
John2011 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1
I am having the same problem as the OP.
It used to be when I made changes to the CSS it straight away changed in book view.

Now I have to make the changes save the book then close Sigil and re open it load the book and the changes are now visible.

The CSS in in folder Styles. (Stylesheet.css)
<link href="../Styles/Stylesheet.css" rel="Stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
Version of Sigil: 0.9.2
John2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:56 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I split the new discussion (Sigil 0.9.x) away from the old thread, but left a link to it for reference.

First off: of the two people reporting this issue with Sigil 0.9.x, does this happen with all epubs all the time, or is it a random occurrence?

If it's not ALL epubs, does it always happen to the particular epubs it's ever happened to?

I think we're going to need some example epubs posted (no copyrighted material please!!) so we can see exactly what css is being used.

If copyrighted epubs are the only example you have, take a look at this calibre plugin which was created for the express purpose of scrambling the text of books so copyright is not an issue when sharing said book for support purposes.

I would love to get this tracked down, but we've got to find a way to recreate it first.