Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
Notrite
Enthusiast
Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PB360+
Exclamation Ghosting?

I can still see very faint whitish outlines of words from the page before even with full page refresh. Is this normal? Is anyone else getting this with their prs-t1?
Notrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
trevgriff
Zealot
trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trevgriff ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini - Main Reader (iPad 3 backup, iPhone 4s back to my backup)
no ghosting here
trevgriff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #3
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
nope, no ghosting

and what do you mean "even with full page refresh" T1 always does full page refresh when turning pages.
log is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Ghosting is typical of eink, although with the T1 it is very minimal. I mostly see it from the dictionary pop-up. Maybe it would help if you can post a picture?
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Ghosting is typical of eink, although with the T1 it is very minimal. I mostly see it from the dictionary pop-up. Maybe it would help if you can post a picture?
Yep! Same experience over here. And once when I touched the page slider on the bottom by mistake. I turned the page and it was gone.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #6
Notrite
Enthusiast
Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Notrite , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by log View Post
nope, no ghosting

and what do you mean "even with full page refresh" T1 always does full page refresh when turning pages.
What I am trying to say is that a full page refresh should't leave any ghosting effects but mine does.

I'll try to get a picture up. its getting annoying because its happening everytime it performs a full refresh (even in the menu page), like what you would expect from a partial refresh.

Last edited by Notrite; 10-13-2011 at 09:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
If you're saying it looks kind of like ghosting that would be similar from partial refresh (e.g. on a Nook STR), then that doesn't sound normal.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
Notrite
Enthusiast

I never owned a nook STR, but i used to have a pb360 plus, and it allows partial refresh, and the ghosting effect between pb360 and my t1 are similar (whitish outline of the previous page). By the way this happens EVERY time it refreshes not just opening up the dictionary. Could this be a defective screen?

PS; I dont have access to a half-way decent camera at the moment, but I try and get a picture up ASAP.

Last edited by Notrite; 10-13-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
9033 began at the beginning.

Device: 600, 650 and T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrite View Post
I can still see very faint whitish outlines of words from the page before even with full page refresh. Is this normal? Is anyone else getting this with their prs-t1?
Yes. Next time before you turn on the T1, which has been shut down completely last, you will see in the center of the screen, there happened to have a circular faint whitish mark (trace of the shut-down-indicator). As the faint whitish mark is so light that it is hard to be captured with my substandard photo equipment. I do not think this normal, as compared with 650. I would thus conclude that the quality of the screen of T1 and 650 is not the same.
9033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:19 PM   #10
Notrite
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9033 View Post
Yes. Next time before you turn on the T1, which has been shut down completely last, you will see in the center of the screen, there happened to have a circular faint whitish mark (trace of the shut-down-indicator). As the faint whitish mark is so light that it is hard to be captured with my substandard photo equipment. I do not think this normal, as compared with 650. I would thus conclude that the quality of the screen of T1 and 650 is not the same.
But do you get these marks if you switch between the first and second page of the home screen? Or during reading?
Old 10-14-2011, 05:10 AM   #11
Notrite
Enthusiast

Here is the photo, as you can see a faint outline of the previous home page.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Ghosting.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	77781
Old 10-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
9033 began at the beginning.

Device: 600, 650 and T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrite View Post
Here is the photo, as you can see a faint outline of the previous home page.

Attachment 77781
Agree.
9033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 06:49 AM   #13
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I have the same thing on mine. Not too bothersome. Should I go back to BB and exchange it?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
Notrite
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I have the same thing on mine. Not too bothersome. Should I go back to BB and exchange it?
I am asking Sony if this is a hardware (screen) problem. If it is I will then get it replaced. At the moment i have no clue. As 9033 said this could be a quality issue.
Old 10-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
log
log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.log ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
I think some expect to much from an e-Ink display.

Home screen will have some ghosting paging through screeens due to partial screen refresh -- so what? its not a big deal

When reading a book, and turning to the next page T1 does full screen refresh and I never see ghosting when reading a book.

Last edited by log; 10-14-2011 at 10:07 AM.
log is offline   Reply With Quote