Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 06:49 AM   #1
HarpingOn
HarpingOn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Double spaced text LIT to mobi

Trying to convert some LIT books for my new Kindle 3.

When the .mobi is viewed on the kindle, all the text is double spaced and the lines don't wrap correctly.

Running in debug mode, I see that the html in the input directory has each line wrapped in paragraph tags, so I guess what I'm seeing is a paragraph break after each line.

If I view the html from the input directory using IE or Firefox, it looks correct. No double spacing.

It's unreadable on Kindle as it is. What can I do to fix up the output?

The top of the HTML looks like this:

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head>
<meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"/><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"/><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"/><style>
p
        {text-indent:0px;text-align:left}

<!--
 /* Font Definitions */
 @font-face
        {panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;}

/* Style Definitions */
 p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
        {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:small;}
Thank you for any help!
HarpingOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:51 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Can you post a few lines of the HTML of the actual text of the book?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 07:06 AM   #3
HarpingOn

Sure. It's a bit of a mess. The body of the book converts as one HUGE line so I stuck the html file through 'strings' to break it up, then I end up with this:

Code:
<p class="MsoPlainText"><span>
 </span>Words<span>
 </span>It</p><p class="MsoPlainText">more words<span>
 </span>farmland.</p><p class="MsoPlainText">yet more words<span>
 </span>word<span>
 </span>cat<span>
 </span>dog<span>
 </span>farm<span>
 </span>lotus<span>
 </span>flower</p><p class="MsoPlainText">lilly pond<span>
 </span>front</p><p class="MsoPlainText">maple tree<span>
 </span>please<span>
 </span>hedge</p><p class="MsoPlainText">eye.</p><p class="MsoPlainText"><span>
 </span>Leaning tower<span>
 </span>Calamity</p><p class="MsoPlainText">wild west<span>
 </span>fin</p>

Last edited by HarpingOn; 08-31-2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's truly horrible. You know what they say - "garbage in, garbage out". I honestly don't think there's much you can do to clean that up.

My honest advice would be to buy a legitimate eBook copy of "Hitchhiker's Guide" - it's not expensive.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 07:24 AM   #5
HarpingOn

It's £5.50 on amazon for the four volumes together in paperback, and the Kindle price is nearly £20 for same. At least, that's how it appears to me. And I already have the paperbacks

As you say though, not worth persevering with a duff conversion. When next I want to re-read these, I'll go with my paperbacks still. They make a nice pattern too, when placed together.

Last edited by HarpingOn; 08-31-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Advert
Old 08-31-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you tried enabling the heuristics options. Not sure if they can fix something as badly broken as the HTML you gave a sample, but it is definitely worth trying.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:44 AM   #7
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Use a search and replace to remove the extra span tags. Then enable heuristics and be sure the unwrap line heuristic is enabled.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please don't give help to fix an illegally downloaded eBook. Sure I could give a possible solution to this problem. But since it's an illegal eBook, I won't be helping.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote