Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I busted my kindle :(

Went to bed reading. I put it on the other side of my bed, safe from me i thought. In the morning I woke up, rolled over and felt something under my head. Under my groggy half asleep state I heard a tiny crack. I bolted up like the time I felt an earthquake hit. No please no. Slide the switch. Arrghh. Lines everywhere. Even worse, my incriminating custom screen saver is stuck right there and not going away. Busted!

Lesson: despite what the commercial tells you, your kindle is very breakable. Treat it like the delicate egg it is.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:50 PM   #2
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
shoot... sorry to hear the devastating news!
mine's showing some cracks in the lower corner of the gray case. i'm starting to suspect someone in my household sat on it...
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12

Another "I broke my Kindle in bed" story. Falling asleep with a good book is more dangerous than it used to be.

I'm so sorry about your broken Kindle. Give Amazon a call. They seem to be cutting down on the "free replacements for any reason" but they might give you a nice discount on a replacement. It can't hurt to try. They don't seem to care too much about the screensaver thing - you wouldn't be the first to send one back with the evidence permanently frozen on the screen, and I don't think there's been any reports of Amazon changing their mind about the replacement after seeing it.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Kindle 3 + Paperwhite 7th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Went to bed reading. I put it on the other side of my bed, safe from me i thought. In the morning I woke up, rolled over and felt something under my head. Under my groggy half asleep state I heard a tiny crack. I bolted up like the time I felt an earthquake hit. No please no. Slide the switch. Arrghh. Lines everywhere. Even worse, my incriminating custom screen saver is stuck right there and not going away. Busted!

Lesson: despite what the commercial tells you, your kindle is very breakable. Treat it like the delicate egg it is.
I'm very sorry to hear about this, mate. I hope they'll send you a new one, but if you cannot then try to get a refurbished Kindle from Amazon. I think they take around 50ish for a wiki and 70-80ish for a G3 model, If I remember correctly. Also, from what I have read, so far, they won't use the screensaver hack you have installed as a reason for not sending you a new one. The screen damage is a whole other case, though.

They (the person you'll be talking to) just might be more forgiving if you tell him/her that a toddler got to it and that you had a cover on it at the time. But you'll be lying of course.

Also, think about getting a cover next. Right now I'm using a Kindle cover + a silicone skin for protection, but anyone can get unlucky, bro.

Good luck.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-18-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Kenneth_irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
shoot... sorry to hear the devastating news!
mine's showing some cracks in the lower corner of the gray case. i'm starting to suspect someone in my household sat on it...
Mine started showing a crack in the lower right corner of the case - right where the screen meets the case. I know for a fact no undue pressure was put on it, nor did it take a fall from anywhere.

Phoned up Amazon and within 5 minutes they had processed a replacement for me. Got the replacement in about 2 days and shipped back my old. Extremely painless.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 01:52 PM   #6
Kenneth_irl
Addict
Kenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneKenneth_irl makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghat View Post
Mine started showing a crack in the lower right corner of the case - right where the screen meets the case. I know for a fact no undue pressure was put on it, nor did it take a fall from anywhere.

Phoned up Amazon and within 5 minutes they had processed a replacement for me. Got the replacement in about 2 days and shipped back my old. Extremely painless.
Very nice service.

Just for interest, do you think it could have cracked due to slightly twisting the case ? It might just be something to be careful about not to do.

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-18-2011 at 01:54 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
I doubt it. Mine has been in the lighted cover case since day one.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
I doubt it. Mine has been in the lighted cover case since day one.
Couldn't be it then.
Old 02-18-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I'm so sorry for your misfortune. I have been lucky - although I read without a case, I was doing so while getting a medical procedure. I dropped the kindle from the 4 foot bed, flat on the floor. Luckily, it was flat on the floor. The cover spring a bit, I got most of it back, and the on/off switch was pretty tight, but seems to back to normal, now.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:23 PM   #10
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
The bezel by the lower screen corners appears to be a point of crack propagation. There have been similar reports. I have not been "inside" but there must be a slight rise or pressure point in that area that causes cracking in that area. Or the top has a molding defect that does not adequately protect those corners from cracking inward from the screen corners.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Falling asleep with a good book is more dangerous than it used to be.
I don't know about that.... I fell asleep and dropped an encyclopedia on my face. Almost broke my nose! I bet a Kindle would have caused less blood shed!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #12
TenaciousBadger
Mrawr?
TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TenaciousBadger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle 3 wifi
Quote:

my warranty has long since expired (the one-month type).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
The bezel by the lower screen corners appears to be a point of crack propagation. There have been similar reports. I have not been "inside" but there must be a slight rise or pressure point in that area that causes cracking in that area. Or the top has a molding defect that does not adequately protect those corners from cracking inward from the screen corners.
this would have been my second "theory" since i tend to hold my kindle on both or one side of the keyboard.

but let's not hijack the thread .

i never ever leave my kindle on the floor, on the bed, anywhere! except its bombproof bunker, when i don't read. on the rare, rare occasion i take it out in the world, it's in a homemade case and bundled up in a think muffler... yeah, i know :|

i think the take-your-kindle-to-the-beach commercial skews the buyers' perception of how fragile the thing really is.
TenaciousBadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:04 PM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
I don't know about that.... I fell asleep and dropped an encyclopedia on my face. Almost broke my nose! I bet a Kindle would have caused less blood shed!
Ouch! I stand corrected.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
Kenneth_irl
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseShan View Post
Okay help me picture this, mate.

You were lying down reading an big-ass Encyclopedia, which you held over your head, and then you fell asleep dropping it on your face busting your nose in ?

This is how I pictured it, and if this is really how it happened then how the hell could you fell asleep holding that big-ass book in your stretched arms, mate ?

I can only ever fall asleep in the most of common positions.

What a talent, lol...

Last edited by Kenneth_irl; 02-18-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenaciousBadger View Post
my warranty has long since expired (the one-month type).

this would have been my second "theory" since i tend to hold my kindle on both or one side of the keyboard.

but let's not hijack the thread .

i never ever leave my kindle on the floor, on the bed, anywhere! except its bombproof bunker, when i don't read. on the rare, rare occasion i take it out in the world, it's in a homemade case and bundled up in a think muffler... yeah, i know :|

i think the take-your-kindle-to-the-beach commercial skews the buyers' perception of how fragile the thing really is.
I think it is luck of the draw. my Kindle(s) have been; to the beach, skiing, camping, shooting, major travel, to the puppy park, leave the house with me every single day, had surgery with me, and sleep naked every night. in bed they've been slept on, rolled over on, slid off the side of the bed, stepped on by the dog (all 185 pounds of her) and gnawed on by a kitten. still going strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth_irl View Post
Okay help me picture this, mate.

You were lying down reading an big-ass Encyclopedia, which you held over your head, and then you fell asleep dropping it on your face busting your nose in ?

This is how I pictured it, and if this is really how it happened then how the hell could you fell asleep holding that big-ass book in your hands, mate ?

I can only ever fall asleep in the most of common positions.

What a talent, lol...
I fell asleep with one of Jordan's Wheel of Time books. I'd had it propped just *so* on my chest and when my wrists finally relaxed it slammed forward into my face. had it been any taller I could see how serious nose damage may have happened
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote