Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-11-2016, 12:18 AM   #1
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
More Linux friendly?

Just a small suggestion to make Sigil seem a little more friendly to Linux users.

[Context: I’m still using DiapDealer’s 0.8.6 version & thinking about building 0.9.3]

At the moment the release notes make a point of suggesting you get binaries from Github, but when you follow the link there are, of course, no binaries for Linux. It would help if there was a link to https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/Sigil...dingOnLinux.md somewhere along the way as it takes a bit of hunting to find it.

Of course, it would be much better if there was a .deb or a repo, but that would require work (!), so in the meantime just a little mention of Linux would be good.
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:43 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
There are specific instructions on how to build Sigil for Linux directly from source. IIRC that is also mentioned on the GitHub.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:48 AM   #3
seanos
Zealot
seanos began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Aura H2O, LG V20
Given that I included a link to the instructions, I’m fairly sure I knew that!
seanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
From Sigil's home page (sigil-ebook.com) you can go to the "Get" page for the specifics of getting Sigil on the three platforms (Windows, OS X, Linux). The Sigil on Linux section has a direct link to the 'docs' directory in Sigil's Github Repository, where the BuildingOnLinux documents are first in the list.

If you think a direct link to the Linux documentation from the main README file (instead of the current directions for how to find them that exist there) will be more helpful, I'll certainly see about adding that. I'm just not sure I agree that there's much "hunting" to be done for those who are looking. The 'docs' folder is a fairly traditional location to put additional documentation in a source archive after all.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-11-2016 at 09:19 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote