Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #1351
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
Quote:
Originally Posted by readreadread View Post
Hi i installed the new version of Duokan (20/12/2013 release)
It works fantastically with pdf.

I am still looking for how to enable other dictionary, I uploaded many files in the \DK_System\xKindle\res\dict that was populated originally only by the Oxford gb formatted.dict/idx/idx.oft/ifo

I copied some stardict format dictionary but they all lack of the idx.odt file the just have the dict.dz/idx/ifo files.

But beside these differences I don't find on the menu settings where enable these dictionary.

OT. Since I have the new PW2 JB I want to prevent Amazon to upgrade my firmware, have I to install the loophole hack to prevent this even on this version ?

Thanks guys!
You need the .dict, .ifo and .index. As long as those 3 files are in the directory \DK_System\xKindle\res\dict, you do not need to enable anything, the dictionary function will recognize them. It is a bit tricky to get different dcitionaries to work on one same word as the button for this is in chines and not translated to english.

After testing both over the last days I prefer using Sergey's Coolreader, even though it has no dictionary function yet. It is much more flexible, it works with KUAL, and I have installed it on my three readers (PW2, Aura HD and PB623) and it works the same on all 3 which for me is a huge advantage.

Plus I don't like the way Duokan wants me to migrate my account (for the mail to kindle function) to a bookstore. It seems to be not about hacking and enabling kindles to be used in chinese anymore but about profit, and if they think they are going to earn money with me (or anyone) based on the work that our dev team did, then I'd rather pass on the whole experience thank you very much.

Last edited by aceflor; 12-26-2013 at 02:18 AM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #1352
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
You need the .dict, .ifo and .index.
This means they use "dictd" format instead of "stardict" format which they used before.

This tool may be used to convert any dictionary from other formats including stardict into dictd: https://github.com/soshial/xdxf_makedict

(feedback is needed here )

Last edited by thomass; 12-27-2013 at 05:13 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #1353
readreadread
readreadread began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
You need the .dict, .ifo and .index. As long as those 3 files are in the directory \DK_System\xKindle\res\dict, you do not need to enable anything, the dictionary function will recognize them. It is a bit tricky to get different dcitionaries to work on one same word as the button for this is in chines and not translated to english.

After testing both over the last days I prefer using Sergey's Coolreader, even though it has no dictionary function yet. It is much more flexible, it works with KUAL, and I have installed it on my three readers (PW2, Aura HD and PB623) and it works the same on all 3 which for me is a huge advantage.

Plus I don't like the way Duokan wants me to migrate my account (for the mail to kindle function) to a bookstore. It seems to be not about hacking and enabling kindles to be used in chinese anymore but about profit, and if they think they are going to earn money with me (or anyone) based on the work that our dev team did, then I'd rather pass on the whole experience thank you very much.
I succeeded
Just had to extract it , yes the way it enable dictionaries is not good as kindle do, duokan open all the dictionaries in many pages.
I see if I open a pdf with chinese in duokan the dictionary works on the wrong line.

I have still this unanswered question:

OT. Since I have the new PW2 JB I want to prevent Amazon to upgrade my firmware, have I to install the loophole hack to prevent this even on this version ?

Thanks!!
readreadread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:35 AM   #1354
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readreadread View Post
Just had to extract it
Do you mean dictionaries with stardict format also work?
Old 01-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #1355
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Device: Kindle PW2
Hey guys, I want to give the PW2 duokan a go, but scared to not brick the device, seeing no install procedure I can understand. I have downloaded the 2013-12-27 version, currently newest on their site, but how to install it?
1. Copy DK_System to root of the PW
2. Copy the awesomely named bin file from KindlePaperwhite_something folder to the root of PW (?)
3. ?

I'm afraid to experiment with it
Thanks
DrunkenDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2014, 03:01 PM   #1356
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkenDonkey View Post
3. ?
3- menu> settings> menu> update
Old 01-02-2014, 03:59 PM   #1357
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur
DrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the roughDrunkenDonkey is a jewel in the rough

Thanks thomass, works, great after the slight battle to get it (mostly) in english. Having some cyrillic quirks, but so far so good
Old 01-04-2014, 03:58 AM   #1358
geoslake
geoslake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 NT & Kobo Aura
Hi guys

Ive just updated my kindle 4nt to latest duokan (2014-01-03), and my fonts are not smoothed, they look quite blocky.
This already happened in the past with previous versions.
The fonts look ok in menus, system etc, its just when i read book.
I guess they have broken something...

Cheers
geoslake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:57 AM   #1359
DrunkenDonkey
Connoisseur

Thanks for the info, will hold off the update then
Old 01-08-2014, 04:28 AM   #1360
readyu
readyu began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3&4
please check:

Reading Settings:
Page Turn Mode:
(.)Normal Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoslake View Post
Hi guys

Ive just updated my kindle 4nt to latest duokan (2014-01-03), and my fonts are not smoothed, they look quite blocky.
This already happened in the past with previous versions.
The fonts look ok in menus, system etc, its just when i read book.
I guess they have broken something...

Cheers
readyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:47 PM   #1361
readreadread
readreadread began at the beginning.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Do you mean dictionaries with stardict format also work?
Yes the stardict dicts work on Duokan, but they are arranged very unfriendly if you have many dicts the results of a word are showed with many dicts and you have to turn a lot of pages to find the more suitable translation.
It seems you can NOT select only one dictionary in accord of the book you are reading, as you are doing in the kindle original firmware.
I don't know if i am expaining the problem well and if there is a better solution to manage dicts on Duokan

Last edited by readreadread; 01-13-2014 at 12:49 PM.
readreadread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #1362
geoslake

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyu View Post
please check:

Reading Settings:
Page Turn Mode:
(.)Normal Fast
Ahhhh my bad. Thank you, that solved my problem.

Cheers
Old 01-16-2014, 03:43 PM   #1363
lisq1
lisq1 began at the beginning.

Device: lbook v3+, Onyx I62, K4NT
Is it possible to switch quickly from Duokan to Coolreader just like from Kual to
Duokan? I have K4NT.
Thx
lisq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:31 AM   #1364
geoslake

I maybe miss something, but when using Epub, there's no proper justification.
I loaded up my (french) Epub in Calibre, checked the "justify" box for text, and converted it (epub to epub, just to enable justification).
When read in Calibre, the text was indeed fully justified (it wasn't before).
I loaded the same epub in my kindle, and the text wasnt justified. Well, it kinda was, but as they were no word split at all, it only very partially was.

Then I converted to Mobi (with the same "justify" box checked), then opened it up in my kindle, and there it was perfect !

Could it be because I miss the french dictionnary (so Duokan doesn't know where to split words) ? But then, why would Moby work properly ?

Thanks for the help

Last edited by geoslake; 01-21-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 11:12 AM   #1365
hackintosh1984pl
hackintosh1984pl will become famous soon enoughhackintosh1984pl will become famous soon enoughhackintosh1984pl will become famous soon enoughhackintosh1984pl will become famous soon enoughhackintosh1984pl will become famous soon enoughhackintosh1984pl will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Duokana will downloads from oficial project developer site: http://bbs.xiaomi.cn/forum-679-1.html

If we will have problem with downloads file Duokan from web browser I use the program etc. FlashGet (app for menager downloads).

I uploaded mirror servers under the latest versions available Duokan: from day [2014-01-26]

== Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite 版本信息 && 下载链接 ==
版本号:xTouch_2014-01-26.33145.rtm
大小:92.8MB
安装包下载 http://kindleota.duokan.com/KT%20and...33145.rtm).zip
cd183256ad972511fb73a7e35c965017 (安装包的MD5值)
备注1:安装包支持 Kindle Touch 所有版本/KP一代所有版本/KP二代所有版本!
mirror link downloads: http://www.qooy.com/files/0CTQ9YZVKY....33145.rtm.zip

=================================================
K3/K4请来这里下载R4.11

=== Kindle3 版本信息 && 下载链接 ===
版本号:2014-01-26.33143.rtm
大小:92.3MB
安装包下载 http://kindleota.duokan.com/(K3)xKin...1-26.33143.zip
bc0cf62b0e44e5651715bc3d83f81cc7(安装包的MD5值)
mirror link downloads: http://www.qooy.com/files/1T02MLO8XI...0126.33143.zip

=== K4 Non-Touch/K4 Black 版本信息 && 下载链接 ===
版本号:2014-01-26.33143.rtm
大小:84.2MB
备注:这个版本也支持k4 black版本(俗称K5),安装方法和k4 non-touch一样。
安装包下载 http://kindleota.duokan.com/(K4)xKin...1-26.33143.zip
204cb9eceb7ef7b1f9efb3dd8b23dc6d (安装包的MD5值)
mirror link downloads: http://www.qooy.com/files/WDT6JHLXS5...0126.33143.zip
hackintosh1984pl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf