Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-03-2011, 01:24 PM   #16
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
I have had my Sony Touch for just over a year now! and have yet to read a book!!

I just thought, buy an e-book, transfer it to the Reader and read!!!
You might want to try a Kindle, because it works just as you describe. Buy, download (or transfer i.e., sideload) and read. That simple! Good luck and I hope you are able to work out the kinks.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #17
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
You might want to try a Kindle, because it works just as you describe. Buy, download (or transfer i.e., sideload) and read. That simple! Good luck and I hope you are able to work out the kinks.
This is absolutly not necessary as the Sony Software that is incorporated in the device does exactly this as long as people do not feel compelled to use Calibre and the likes because they think they have to. There are more companies out there that are working than Kindle foremost the one that invented ereaders: it is called SONY!
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 01:52 PM   #18
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Don't forget to check out the Sony store, they do offer several titles for free.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #19
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
This is absolutly not necessary as the Sony Software that is incorporated in the device does exactly this as long as people do not feel compelled to use Calibre and the likes because they think they have to. There are more companies out there that are working than Kindle foremost the one that invented ereaders: it is called SONY!
Sony hardly invented ereaders. Get a grip on your Kindle hate, it's making you stupid.

Last edited by queentess; 02-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #20
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Sony hardly invented ereaders. Get a grip on your Kindle hate, it's making you stupid.
Actually I do not have a Kindle hate. Why should I hate a device even though it is ugly? No, I hate that every Kindle owner here keeps going on telling you that only their precious Kindle is easy to use, switch-on-download-read device! This is just not true! And I am tired of reading it in every f.thread! What about Cover Story, PocketBook 603, Neo.... there is a zillion readers out there that can do this and none of their owners is having that arrogant attitude that Kindle owner seem to have.

BTW for me it started with e-ink but I see your point and from your point of view you are right of course.
Advert
Old 02-03-2011, 02:16 PM   #21
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Actually I do not have a Kindle hate. Why should I hate a device even though it is ugly?
Personal attacks always strengthen your argument.

Quote:
No, I hate that every Kindle owner here keeps going on telling you that only their precious Kindle is easy to use, switch-on-download-read device! This is just not true!
This is exactly how Kindles work. This is why they're often promoted to people who don't own computers or are not tech savvy.

Quote:
And I am tired of reading it in every f.thread! What about Cover Story, PocketBook 603, Neo.... there is a zillion readers out there that can do this and none of their owners is having that arrogant attitude that Kindle owner seem to have.
I assume you mean the PB360? All these other readers have wifi and direct download from the device itself, with no need for a computer? I bet the device manufacturers will be surprised to learn this.

Quote:
BTW for me it started with e-ink but I see your point and from your point of view you are right of course.
Yes, eink was an innovation in portable ereaders, but it was far from the beginning.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

No, I meant the 603. Where in
Quote:
switch-on-download-read
did I mention a computer???

And how for heavens sake is one able to insult a device personally? Thank you for making me laugh. K. therefore.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #23
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
No, I meant the 603. Where in did I mention a computer???
Ah, I stand corrected. The 603 appears to have wireless.

You said
Quote:
Kindle is easy to use, switch-on-download-read device! This is just not true!
Please tell me what is "not true" about the stated Kindle use?

Quote:
And how for heavens sake is one able to insult a device personally? Thank you for making me laugh. K. therefore.
I can't speak for your devices, but all my devices have personalities. Alexandria was very insulted.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:36 PM   #24
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Actually I do not have a Kindle hate. Why should I hate a device even though it is ugly? No, I hate that every Kindle owner here keeps going on telling you that only their precious Kindle is easy to use, switch-on-download-read device! This is just not true! And I am tired of reading it in every f.thread! What about Cover Story, PocketBook 603, Neo.... there is a zillion readers out there that can do this and none of their owners is having that arrogant attitude that Kindle owner seem to have.

I was to lazy to quote myself and did a mistake in writing it down again. I refered to my original statement that there are more reader able to do so than just the Kindle. And I suspect you know that perfectly well and just want to make me feel stupid because you think I am stupid.

It won't work.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:44 PM   #25
queentess
Reading is sexy

Ah, I missed the "only" in your post.

As far as I can tell, the PB603 is not available in my country, and it's 269 EUR (~$350). Or I could get a Kindle for $140.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #26
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
Ah, I missed the "only" in your post.

As far as I can tell, the PB603 is not available in my country, and it's 269 EUR (~$350). Or I could get a Kindle for $140.
This is not the point. The point in this thread is LadyLou who fights very brave to get her little reader running and enjoy it. She worked on it for a year. Now she asked for help and it is not going to help her when someone says: throw out your device and buy one that works easier. Her device is not a bit more complicated. The only difference between them is the lack of wifi and thus the downloading to a computer first.

Furthermore I guess it is not helpful for certain persons to always mention Calibre. It should be step 2 not step 1 to engage Calibre when they have mastered using the software on board the reader. I don't know if you own a Sony but the moment you connect it with your computer it runs the Reader Library Software and you are perfectly able to handle all your needs with it as I imagine the Kindle software does with the Kindle.

When somebody comes to a board having precise questions or issues I think it is common curtesy to adress these and not to wisecrack about how easy something else works or if there are even more advanced things and so on.

The pattern in all threads I saw on this forums so far is always the same. Someone will talk about Calibre and its superiority above SRL or ADE or whatever, another one will recommend the easy Kindle and a third one will bring up deDRM. You can bet your ass on it. But I fail to see how this is helpful to those who come here for help. And this is what drives me nuts and sometimes over board.

Last edited by Poppaea; 02-03-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #27
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLou View Post
I have had my Sony Touch for just over a year now! and have yet to read a book!!

The device itself is fine and I know as much as I need to know about using it for reading books.

I use Calibre and have a collection of about 100 books at present, all converted to e-pub format. I can transfer them to my reader and open them to read, but this is where the problems start!

The sentences and paragraphs are all over the place. There are gaps in pargraphs; every time there should be a double 'l' one is missing and replaced by a gap in the word.

Sometimes there are only a few words on a page, etc. etc.

I took a break for a few weeks to clear my head and started reading up again.
I have had quite a bit of help on this site, and have decided I need Sigil which I have downloaded, but it appears to be totally beyond my 'grasp' on computing and editing.

To me, it appears that I have to actually read the book page by page and correct each and every fault mannually.

This is just too much for me to cope with.

Is it really that complicated, I am a 'silver surfer' but have managed to conquor i-tunes, but sigil and to a point Calibre just seem to need much more knowledge of computing than I have.

I just thought, buy an e-book, transfer it to the Reader and read!!!
Obviously that is just not so, so, I am about to throw in the towel, sell it on e-bay and return to paperbacks.

People have been helping her. The OP is the first person to mention Calibre. She said she was using it in her first post. Many posters commented that her problem could well be that she converted PDF's to E-Pub and suggested that she simply sideload the original PDF's.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #28
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
People have been helping her. The OP is the first person to mention Calibre. She said she was using it in her first post. Many posters commented that her problem could well be that she converted PDF's to E-Pub and suggested that she simply sideload the original PDF's.
I know. I was one of them. You were one of them, too. Does that make untrue what I said here?

Quote:
The pattern in all threads I saw on this forums so far is always the same. Someone will talk about Calibre and its superiority above SRL or ADE or whatever, another one will recommend the easy Kindle and a third one will bring up deDRM. You can bet your ass on it. But I fail to see how this is helpful to those who come here for help. And this is what drives me nuts and sometimes over board.
The Kindle recommender showed up already...
Old 02-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #29
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
This is not the point. The point in this thread is LadyLou who fights very brave to get her little reader running and enjoy it. She worked on it for a year. Now she asked for help and it is not going to help her when someone says: throw out your device and buy one that works easier.
No one said to throw it out. You've applied malice to a post that was trying to be helpful. "You can't get the Sony to work well for you? I haven't had problems with a Kindle, it's easy. Maybe you'd like it?"
Quote:
Her device is not a bit more complicated. The only difference between them is the lack of wifi and thus the downloading to a computer first.
Involving a computer does make it more complicated. Maybe not for you or me, but for many people. My mom has a Sony. I bought it for her. She brings it to me when she needs to buy more books because she can't figure the thing out. I handed her a Kindle and she had downloaded her first book and was reading in about 3 minutes. So yes, I do think the Sony's are more complicated for the average user, and my personal experience supports this.

Quote:
Furthermore I guess it is not helpful for certain persons to always mention Calibre. It should be step 2 not step 1 to engage Calibre when they have mastered using the software on board the reader. I don't know if you own a Sony but the moment you connect it with your computer it runs the Reader Library Software and you are perfectly able to handle all your needs with it as I imagine the Kindle software does with the Kindle.
I have several Sonys; I don't like or use the Reader software. The Kindle does not install any software, it shows up as an external drive and you drag and drop files. I know Sony users can't imagine a device that doesn't need software... But that's part of what makes the Kindle user-friendly for the masses. Calibre is certainly not something I'd recommend to a new ereader user who wasn't tech savvy.

Quote:
When somebody comes to a board having precise questions or issues I think it is common curtesy to adress these and not to wisecrack about how easy something else works or if there are even more advanced things and so on.
I think we all did a very good job of addressing her issue.

Quote:
It's what I like to call the Pro-Kindle Movement. It bothers me too, and it's the reason I don't venture into the Kindle forums anymore. But there's an equally vocal Anti-Kindle Movement, and I hate it too. You had a knee-jerk negative reaction to a very innocent comment.

Last edited by queentess; 02-03-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:04 PM   #30
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
When someone asks for help with something they own, and someone else suggests they spend $140 to replace it...

I don't know, call me crazy, but that just doesn't seem helpful.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote