Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-16-2011, 07:31 AM   #31
darknessangel
Addict
darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darknessangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Ok, now THIS catapults e-ink technology to a new level. That vid was really impressive! I wonder how the other companies will react... oohhhh... I should just start with the stock exchange right now.
darknessangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Inconceivable!
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #33
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
... on eink, is what I said. I don't read books on my TV set, and I don't want to watch moving pictures in my books.
I guess you never bought a WebTV, then.
Novelty is fun! And sells more models..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Oh, [semiruggedness] will [happen]. Pocketbook has a few models in their lineup, they just can't get the panels in significant numbers yet. They are aiming at the educational market, amongst other things, where a glass panel really won't do.
I never said it was impossible. I said it won't happen. It's not profitable.
I could theoretically give you clear ceramic displays tomorrow that would never shatter or scratch like glass. Beancounters would probably murder me before you got it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's actually displaying a "feature" of E Ink: Partial screen refresh. Only the quarter needs to be updated (which I assume requires less power), while the rest of the picture can remain stable.
Ooooh, cool
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #34
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
It's actually displaying a "feature" of E Ink: Partial screen refresh. Only the quarter needs to be updated (which I assume requires less power), while the rest of the picture can remain stable.
Power requirements aside, I'd call that necessary. Would the rest of the picture remain unaffected if it did have to refresh the entire screen while displaying the video in one section, or would we see artifacts of the refresh (like flickering) in the text area?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:07 AM   #35
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mutters mutters ....

Bookeen have a blog and I, for one, am subscribed to the new items - this never arrived in my mail box ....

Colour - interesting .... Sometimes one hankers for something other than 'stale grey' to read on ... perhaps a light vellum colour and red-brown ink ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #36
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I guess you never bought a WebTV, then.
No, and indeed I have no intention to.

Quote:
Novelty is fun!
No argument there, but not for its own sake. You know, l'art pour l'art, as the French say.

Quote:
I could theoretically give you clear ceramic displays tomorrow that would never shatter or scratch like glass. Beancounters would probably murder me before you got it.
Probably. Luckily there's usually some middle ground.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 02:35 PM   #37
teadonkey
Zealot
teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teadonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Oddly, most folks who report eyestrain trying to read ebooks on LCD screens do not report it for normal use, like browsing MR.
I get eye strain from reading on LCD, but only occasionally get a head ache from browsing the internet. I think it makes sense. When you're browsing, you aren't reading line after line intently. You're skimming.

I think it's need that they've made it able to watch videos, but I think the color aspect is much neater. It'd make reading magazines much more like reading the real thing.
teadonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:01 PM   #38
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney
Oddly, most folks who report eyestrain trying to read ebooks on LCD screens do not report it for normal use, like browsing MR.
I get eye strain from reading on LCD, but only occasionally get a head ache from browsing the internet. I think it makes sense. When you're browsing, you aren't reading line after line intently. You're skimming.
I think you're in the right area, at least. The eye is more active, doing more things than reading line after line of test.

As mentioned, I have no problem reading on an LCD screen, but I'm aware a fair number of folks do.

Quote:
I think it's need that they've made it able to watch videos, but I think the color aspect is much neater. It'd make reading magazines much more like reading the real thing.
I'd say color eInk has a way to go. Yes, it's available, but there are trade-offs involved. One is less total colors in the palette, since it's 12 bit color. Another is that colors on current Triton displays may appear washed out compared to other technologies.

It's something you would need to see first hand and evaluate with sample source material to see if it worked for you. It would not work for me in current forms, but again, I don't assume I'm representative.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:02 PM   #39
tweety
Enthusiast
tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tweety ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Well, children's animated nursery stories. Instruction manuals that allow rotating of diagrams. Lots of applications, new markets
tweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:03 PM   #40
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
While cool I can't help but think that video on e-ink is like having the newest, sharpest picture black and white tv set. It's the best in it's class but it's still a black and white tv.
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #41
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by teadonkey View Post

I get head aches, too, from browsing the internet if I don't take frequent breaks. A colour e-ink reader reader that could support videos would really rock my world!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 09:41 PM   #42
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Amazons engineers will make very good use of this...they are a top notch bunch.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #43
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
It will also be curious to see what battery life is like doing this. eInk gets huge savings because no power is required to maintain the screen once drawn, and for standard reading, screen refresh is an "every so often" occurrence as you reach the end of a page and go to the next. With video, a lot more screen refresh happens, and I'd expect battery life to drop in consequence.
______
Dennis
I'm curious because it's possible that an eInk screen refreshing at a rate sufficient for video may consume as much energy as an LCD.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:42 AM   #44
vbkun
Enthusiast
vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vbkun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Maybe sony
Quote:

The question is whether it ever will be there.
______
Dennis

Just quoted to give some context, but in general I would agree with all you have spoke, actually i do agree, considering current times.

But as I've stated I was considering the importance of that being 'one step' in a LONG time frame. Not something for the next 5/6 years, but something in between the next 10/15.

If u'd take a long study in most techs we use today, u'd see they started like 20/30 years as something that, like the color e-ink, wasn't really any useful.

And for the "whether it ever will":

Companies need to get new technologies on new products to raise sells, e-ink black and white won't last forever. Eventually every single product has it's sales peak, then it starts going down.

When the product it's technology based, u need to add a new tech on it to get a new peak. So it doesn't really matter if people will actually want a color e-ink display because they are tired of their black and white. It will just happen, and people will either have to choose between "lcd + low battery + eyestrain" vs a color e-ink. And from what I've researched already on the topic screens, I don't see anything coming for the next years that can save battery for reading like e-ink does.

Unless of course companies can come up with something better than e-ink to replace it.Then color e-ink will fade to death, because it will be replaced by some new tech. which mimics most of it's characteristics and adds some more.
vbkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 04:59 AM   #45
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimm View Post
... but it's still a black and white tv.
How many people happily watched B&W TV, before colour became available and affordable?
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote