Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #16
ArtWench
ArtWench began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tingle View Post
My $10 planner cover from Staples works fine, and to my delight, I discovered It had a second, facing pocket that allows me to carry both the K3 and the jetBook in one case.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Great idea!
ArtWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #17
ArtWench

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelenaJole View Post
I crocheted a sleeve (slip cover?) for mine. Not sure how much protection it actually offers.
Oh, but, I bet it is beautiful! My grandmother taught me how to crochet; however, that has been over twenty years ago and I've totally forgotten now. She did such pretty work.
Old 10-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #18
ArtWench

Quote:
Originally Posted by terencek View Post
I went to a place which sells the black 'leatherette' used in upholstery work and bought a small offcut for next to nothing, plus a tube of contact adhesive and a tiny strip of velcro. A couple of hours' work and I have a very serviceable, lightweight and durable sleeve with a velcro flap. I went this route because I was unimpressed by the sheer bulk of a friend's official Kindle case (not to mention the cost).
What kind of place sells the leatherette? That sounds like an awesome solution!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:58 PM   #19
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
woah, spam much?
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #20
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
To answer the leatherette query: you can probably get an offcut, and they may not even charge you, from anywhere that does car upholstery or manufactures furniture.

Sewing is the obvious way to go to make the cover, but if you're an unreconstructed male like me that's ain't gonna happen and an adhesive like Pattex works beautifully. But if you are going to add a Velcro closing strip the Pattex may not cope with the constant pulling when opening, and I found superglue to be the best for that, and it also stiffens up the entry edge and flap. Good luck!

Oh and a good tip I wish I had done when making mine: glue a piece of strong cardboard inside the front of it, to protect the screen. No need on the back, which is robust enough.
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 01:16 AM   #21
birdifulstitches
birdifulstitches began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Sew one!

Last edited by birdifulstitches; 10-26-2010 at 01:18 AM.
birdifulstitches is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, homemade, inexpensive, k3 3g, kindle