Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-24-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
corrupt metadata.db and redoing library

I had to redo my library a few times because of database corruption. It was okay when I had a few books now that they are over a few hundred if I ever have to do over it will be really annoying. Plus for a few books I had changed the metadata in calibre but inside they still had the old metadata and covers so when I recreatred my library I had to redo a lot of it again

So I was wondering is saving the metadata of each book in its own folder in a xml file a better Idea. So even if I loose my metadata.db
calibre can have an option to rescan and make a new database from the xml files. So there is no need to re add all the books as that takes a long time as calibre tries to find metadata from each book.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I wonder if Calibre should always save the .opf file with each book (rather like there is always a cover.jpg fle. It would certainly make recovering much easier and I cannot see any obvious downside other than the trivial amount of disk space it would consume. After all that file is always there when you do a "Save to Disk".

I guess a comment from Kovid on this idea would be useful?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It already does save the OPF file, unless you tell it not to.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It already does save the OPF file, unless you tell it not to.
That is for using the save to or send to device function
Where as I am talking about the actual library so that for if any reason the database gets corrupted. Calibre can rescan and remake it without having to manually add each ebook and remake the whole database all over again
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The downside would be a slowdown. The OPF file would have to be regenerated for each metadata change and because access to the database is multithreaded the file would have to locked and unlocked to prevent corruption.
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
Dopedangel
Wizard

That's true maybe an option to update opf files when closing calibre.

My main problem is database corruption so maybe calibre could make a backup file of the database every session so if there is corruption we can revert back to an older database
Old 01-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Why not just backup your library using whatever backup solution you normally use