Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-05-2009, 04:49 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
How did I never notice this??

My Kindle is with my DIL.....she wanted to see what one was like. So, being a nice person, I shipped it to her. (Loan only!) Then I sold my extra, thinking, 'no probs, I have some p-books I simply must get read'.

When did they start making the type so small? And make the books so hard to hold open? There is never a bookmark handy. My hands are cramping, and just try eating while holding a paperback open. Couldn't get comfortable at all last night in bed.

Give people (readers) ebook readers for free to read on for one month.

Doesn't matter which brand.

Then take them away. Guarantee they'll be back in droves to buy them.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #2
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
I agree completely! I hate reading paperback books now. You would think someone in marketing would have figured this out. Common sense and foresight are definitely lacking there.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
ravenne
Wizard
ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ravenne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PocketBook 360°, Cybook Gen3, iPad mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
I agree completely! I hate reading paperback books now. You would think someone in marketing would have figured this out. Common sense and foresight are definitely lacking there.
Same here! And I always try to push the page turn button when reading a paper book
ravenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I brought a pbook with me when I moved that I really really REALLY wanted to read. it still sits undisturbed
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:12 PM   #5
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

When did they start making the type so small? And make the books so hard to hold open? There is never a bookmark handy. My hands are cramping, and just try eating while holding a paperback open. Couldn't get comfortable at all last night in bed.
Man, I'm right there with you. I've noticed lately my knees make funny noises when I bend down and my back's not too happy when I try to stand back up. I fall asleep just sitting down and I've been told I'm starting to repeat myself. Lousy p-books!

Did I say my knees make funny noises?

What is this place again?
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2009, 06:27 PM   #6
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I move back and forth between paper books and my Kindle/Sony readers. I don't want to drop out of my book swapping group, so I'm reading paper books to keep up with my obligations there. So, today at lunch, I'm reading as I eat, but the stupid book won't stay open. So I take my knife and try to lay it across the open book, but it's a light-weight knife and the spine of the paperback book is stronger. Add a second knife, and it's still not enough weight to keep the darned thing open. If I added another utensil, I wouldn't be able to see much of the text, so I gave up and picked up the book in my left hand. Since I was having a taco salad for lunch, I didn't have much need for the second hand to eat with. Obviously this wouldn't work if I were at a steak restaurant -- so I'll have to remember to take my Kindle with me the next time I go there.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I've read one pbook since I purchased my Kindle. The whole time I was reading it, it felt so antiquated. I'm surprised I didn't get carpal tunnel from the page turning.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I've read one pbook since I purchased my Kindle. The whole time I was reading it, it felt so antiquated. I'm surprised I didn't get carpal tunnel from the page turning.

(note to self. Do NOT loan out Kindle again...dumbass!)
Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinlo View Post
Man, I'm right there with you. I've noticed lately my knees make funny noises when I bend down and my back's not too happy when I try to stand back up. I fall asleep just sitting down and I've been told I'm starting to repeat myself. Lousy p-books!

Did I say my knees make funny noises?

What is this place again?
Oh, we will not even go there. I can ignore all those other little reminders of age......

Have you noticed that they've replaced street signs with smaller print also? AND put them further away?
Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 PM   #10
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I move back and forth between paper books and my Kindle/Sony readers. I don't want to drop out of my book swapping group, so I'm reading paper books to keep up with my obligations there. So, today at lunch, I'm reading as I eat, but the stupid book won't stay open. So I take my knife and try to lay it across the open book, but it's a light-weight knife and the spine of the paperback book is stronger. Add a second knife, and it's still not enough weight to keep the darned thing open. If I added another utensil, I wouldn't be able to see much of the text, so I gave up and picked up the book in my left hand. Since I was having a taco salad for lunch, I didn't have much need for the second hand to eat with. Obviously this wouldn't work if I were at a steak restaurant -- so I'll have to remember to take my Kindle with me the next time I go there.
When I was in university we referred to The 5th Food Group which is stuff you can eat with one hand because there's a book in the other.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:04 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
When I was in university we referred to The 5th Food Group which is stuff you can eat with one hand because there's a book in the other.
'whine. Yeah, but you can't turn pages with one hand like you can with the kindle.............I'm just sayin'........
Old 06-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #12
Peverel
Still Easily Confused
Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Peverel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
When I was in university we referred to The 5th Food Group which is stuff you can eat with one hand because there's a book in the other
Kindle mint cake!!!!!!

oh no that is kendal, sorry
Peverel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:26 PM   #13
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
This reminds me of the TiVo phenomenon. Whenever I would watch TV at someone else's house, I would be frustrated because I couldn't pause the TV when I needed a bathroom break. Doesn't everyone have a TiVo?
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
My Kindle is with my DIL.....she wanted to see what one was like. So, being a nice person, I shipped it to her. (Loan only!) Then I sold my extra, thinking, 'no probs, I have some p-books I simply must get read'.

Give people (readers) ebook readers for free to read on for one month.

Doesn't matter which brand.

Then take them away. Guarantee they'll be back in droves to buy them.
I've heard that there is a supersize version of this "book" thing. It stays open better.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I've heard that there is a supersize version of this "book" thing. It stays open better.
If I ever "have" to buy another pbook, I will definitely get the larger version.......but still have several smaller paperbacks that need to be read.

I"m sure I'd enjoy the process more if they were available for the K......