Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-06-2004, 05:11 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Digital Flip: Flip your e-book like a paper book

It's almost like the Holy Grail of e-books: technology to flip ("skim") through dozens of digital pages and be able to catch a glimpse of what is on each page - much like browsing through a book. Singapore software company E-Book Systems (EBS) might be able to deliver such a e-book technology very soon. According to yesterday's article at Singapore's The New Paper, EBS has its own patented technology called Digital Flip, which allows you to flip an e-book just like its paper version:

Quote:
It was first used in its consumer range of products called FlipAlbum, allowing people to make virtual photo albums. The company claims to have sold one million of FlipAlbum products to date worldwide.
Though I have never heard of FlipAlbum, I am anxious to see how this technology works when it is applied to e-book reader software.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 02:31 PM   #2
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I don't know, is this a good feature. Readers doesn't have to mimic paper books, I say.
Well, in terms of power consumption that would be cool, though.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2004, 03:25 PM   #3
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
I can think of one scenario where this might become useful: when skimming through textbooks, such as college textbooks.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 05:39 PM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Hey, you've got yourself a PPC!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
drc54
Enthusiast
drc54 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm m515, now TX
While sitting at the airport lounge in Changi, I met a guy who worked for this company. He showed me a demo of his product. I must admit, it's pretty cool. He said that the company's main customers, are education institute. To be precise, Kindergarten and Primary schools.

But it's not just the "look and feel" of flipping a real book that sells. The company offers all the good stuff multimedia can bring to a story line. So, it the case of a children book, the young reader will be presented with little things that make reading enjoyable. One sample he showed me was a Japanese book, which a boy enters a room, then switch the light on, showing the effect of a dark room to a lighted room. Well, you get the idea.

Regards,
Deva
drc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert