Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Response from Merriam-Webster on Kindle version of dictionary

Yesterday (Sunday), I sent an email to the Merriam-Webster publishers via their website asking them the Kindle version of their 11th Collegiate dictionary would be available. As you may know, it's been listed as "not yet available" in the Kindle store for quite some time. It is available on Mobipocket but I don't think it will work with the Kindle in the same way as the current dictionary.

Here is our correspondence (yay for Merriam-Webster for being so quick to respond):

Quote:
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2008 1:01 PM
To: mwsales@merriam-webster.com
Subject: Kindle version

I've noticed that the Kindle version of the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate
Dictionary, 11th Edition, has been listed as "not yet available"
for quite some time. I know the version for Mobipocket is available now. I
would like to know when the Kindle version will be available.

Thank you.
Their response:

Quote:
Before the Collegiate Dictionary (and other Merriam-Webster titles) can be
put on sale Amazon needs to update the Kindle software to better support
reference use. Although we don't know when that update will take place we
take it as a good sign that they have listed the title, and we are hoping it
will be in the coming months.

Thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,

Jim Withgott
Merriam-Webster Inc.
I don't understand how using the Merriam-Webster dictionary needs a software update. Would it not work in the same way as the current dictionary? I guess my next step to write Amazon to find out what the deal is on their end.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's a very curious response. Given that it's available as a MobiPocket dictionary, and the Kindle appears to have a perfectly standard implementation of the MobiPocket Reader, one does wonder what "changes" are required on the Kindle to support it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a very curious response. Given that it's available as a MobiPocket dictionary, and the Kindle appears to have a perfectly standard implementation of the MobiPocket Reader, one does wonder what "changes" are required on the Kindle to support it.
Not sure... but you were the one that told me a standard Mobipocket dictionary would not work on the Kindle, there must be some differences.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I been told that it won't, that's right, but what I don't understand is why it won't. You'd have thought that dictionary support would come right along with implementing the Mobi reader, especially given that the device actually has a dictionary anyway.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I been told that it won't, that's right, but what I don't understand is why it won't. You'd have thought that dictionary support would come right along with implementing the Mobi reader, especially given that the device actually has a dictionary anyway.
If someone has a mobi dictionary I can try on my Kindle and confirm what Harry was told.

BOb
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Try the free 1913 Webster's in the Mobi downloads forum here.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
DRM-free MOBI dictionaries do work on the Kindle.

It may be that the Kindle does not yet support DRMed dictionaries (the built in one could be DRM free, since we can't copy it).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #8
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
This is all interesting. If you'll excuse the slight hijack, is anybody dissatisfied with the default dictionary? I think it is pretty good, but still a somewhat odd way to display only certain words.

The old Rocket eBook had one where one could highlight the word (touchscreen, of course) and just that definition came up. The troucle was that it was so basic, that any time I did not know a word, the dictionary didn't either.

I don't see any way that could be implemented on the Kindle, though.

I'm perfectly satisfied with the one we have now, but if others were available at a reasonable price, I'd be interested in trying them.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Response from Amazon.

Quote:
Greetings from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about the availability of the Merriam-Webster Dictionary on Amazon.com. I apologize that I do not have a date as to when this will be available for purchase. As it is currently listed on our website it may be very soon. Please keep checking the website as it is updated regularly, hopefully it will be available for purchase soon.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
If someone has a mobi dictionary I can try on my Kindle and confirm what Harry was told.

BOb
I've been trying to create an alternate dictionary with no luck so far. How about you?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24893
Old 06-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I've been trying to create an alternate dictionary with no luck so far. How about you?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24893
HAve not had a chance to try it yet.

BOb