Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
A 128GB one couldn't hold enough, unless you use compression.
Memory cards and compression work for me.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 AM   #17
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV64 View Post
The models are become more and more similar each year, and now they're increasing the amount of models each year? I wish we could go back to the days of one quality upgrade model every year or two instead of this constant slight upgrading every few months.
These objects don't necessarily become obsolete the instant a new one comes out, so I don't see why it's a problem. You don't need to buy every New Toy, just the ones that work for you.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #18
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
From a pure ereader point of view, none of those are huge advantages.

No card slot is not a problem with Amazon cloud. And I doubt Google's online store surpasses Amazon in titles.
From several points of view those may not be huge advantages. But from several they are, so vive le difference.

"Trump" is definitely the wrong word, jswolf...uh...I mean tubemonkey.

And the lock-down, what little there actually is (not much) is just not relevant to many people, and apparently an advantage of tight integration convenience for some (see the success of a certain fruit-identified company.)

Personally, I would not have bought any of these current tablets yet at $200, but at $150 on sale, I decided to see if the Fire might give me enough value and enjoyment for that money, and it turned out it did.
Even being a happy Amazon customer, and liking the Amazon integration, if the Nook Tablet had been on sale for $150, with it's card slot and it's extra hardware buttons, I may have tried that, expecting to root it and replace the OS.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #19
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
True; in which case, it's a no-go. I don't have a problem not purchasing items that don't have basic functions; and a card slot is a must have.
As time pass you will see that card slots not a basic function. people will accustom to not have them and manufactuers will not include them. this part of tech world is changing fast.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #20
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
As time pass you will see that card slots not a basic function. people will accustom to not have them and manufactuers will not include them. this part of tech world is changing fast.
I don't know. In all my favorite extrapolative science fiction, the hand held devices always have a way to plug in a holographic crystal, or a data cube, or an isolinear chip or what have you....
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 10:12 AM   #21
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
Removable storage is not a basic funtion for a data storage and retrieval device in the same way a truck bed is not a basic component for a combustion vehicle. In both cases there are large market shares that require one. And in both cases, that market share will continue to be served.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I would prefer blue tooth and a sealed device to a card slot. That would allow for very flexible storage without exposing the internals of the device. Also, less vulnerable to wear and tear.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #23
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
so the screens on the 2 7 inch screens would have (slightly) different proportions? Doesn't seem right.

the higher res 7 inch would have about 215 ppi resolution. sounds pretty good to me. hope it happens.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:15 PM   #24
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
I would prefer blue tooth and a sealed device to a card slot. That would allow for very flexible storage without exposing the internals of the device. Also, less vulnerable to wear and tear.
Your memory use is only a fraction of that most users who require a removable medium use, and you do not use the same data on multiple machines.

Not everyone needs a truckbed. The people who do, absolutely require one. You really can't strap a thousand pound hay bale on top of the old Camry and haul it out to the pasture on your way to your day job.

There is never going to be a one size fits all solution in either case.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #25
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Removable storage is not a basic funtion for a data storage and retrieval device in the same way a truck bed is not a basic component for a combustion vehicle. In both cases there are large market shares that require one. And in both cases, that market share will continue to be served.
This. Dad keeps wanting to sell his truck and get something smaller, but every time he's about to take the plunge, we need to cart something heavy between two points.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:45 PM   #26
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I'd like to see if these are true, anyhow. Hopefully there's some SD love to be had. Would make an "upgrade" a bit more enticing.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:55 PM   #27
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
From a pure ereader point of view, none of those are huge advantages.

No card slot is not a problem with Amazon cloud. And I doubt Google's online store surpasses Amazon in titles.
Sure it is, having an eReader that can read from Amazon, B&N, Google, Adobe DRM is huge. So is the ability to use a decent eReader like Moon+, Montano, and so forth.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
A 6GB Fire without wifi can't hold enough videos to last a one week vacation.
You take a week long vacation out of range of wifi and spend every day watching movies? Doesn't sound like an SD card is the answer to the root problem there...

Anyway, If I needed to, I can get my movies to half a gig on average, with more than enough quality for a 7" screen, and have a movie to go to sleep to every night, and room left over for my apps and books.

I'm not saying more storage wouldn't be nice...I'm keeping an eye on those wifi drives because I like movies....but in many cases for many people, the 8GB is just fine.
Last year I was warned off getting an 8GB iPod touch for my daughter (also not expandable, as you know) but I did, and it turns out we put on movies, music, games, books, and still have room to spare.
That experience contributed to my comfort in getting the fire.

ApK
Old 03-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #29
ApK

Quote:
Umm...when, outside of a production studio, does ANYONE use ANY video WITHOUT compression?!?

UNCOMPRESSED video of any quality is in measured on the order of gigabytes per MINUTE.

Last edited by ApK; 03-28-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #30
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
So? Even Blu-ray is compressed. Really, it's just a question of the degree of compression and efficiency of the codec used. How many non-video professionals or hobbyists actually watch uncompressed video? You'd need a multi-SSD/HDD RAID set-up to get enough disk throughput for HD video.

Another thing, 128GB is certainly enough for a week's worth. Surely you won't just be watching videos on your tablet for the entire duration of your vacation?

We've cancelled cable TV at home and just use streaming sources to supplement free OTA. Our bandwidth usage is around 250GB per month (I reckon 80% of that is either Netflix or Hulu). Usage is around 5~10 episodes of Family Guy or Futurama or Simpsons and 2~3 full-length movies per day.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote