Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #31
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Don't forget The Road, by McCarthy. Not exactly SF but definitely post apocalyptic.
+ 1

doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 02:57 PM   #32
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Pelbar Cycle

The nicest post-apocalypse series series I've read is The Pelbar Cycle Paul O. Williams. Takes place a thousand years after the fall of civilization.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:01 AM   #33
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
What about SM Stirling's "Change" series (starts with Dies the Fire)? There's a little mysticism in it as well, but I'd definitely call it post-apocalyptic.

I've read good reviews on a Young Adult PA set of books, but I haven't read them myself:

Life as We Knew It and The Dead and the Gone by Susan Beth Pfeffer
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #34
modwitch
modwitch began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Just read one by a new author I really like, Shard Mountain (Joe Mitchell). Another that's not quite PA, but fits the same likes for me is Peace Warrior (Steven Hawk).
modwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #35
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by modwitch View Post
Just read one by a new author I really like, Shard Mountain (Joe Mitchell). Another that's not quite PA, but fits the same likes for me is Peace Warrior (Steven Hawk).

In case you didn't know, Joe Mitchell is a member here.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:04 AM   #36
modwitch
modwitch began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
In case you didn't know, Joe Mitchell is a member here.
Didn't, thanks! Does that mean you've all read his book ?
modwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #37
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
Spin - Robert Charles Wilson

SUMMARY:
One night in October when he was ten years old, Tyler Dupree stood in his back yard and watched the stars go out. They all flared into brilliance at once, then disappeared, replaced by a flat, empty black barrier. He and his best friends, Jason and Diane Lawton, had seen what became known as the Big Blackout. It would shape their lives. The effect is worldwide. The sun is now a featureless disk--a heat source, rather than an astronomical object. The moon is gone, but tides remain. Not only have the world's artificial satellites fallen out of orbit, their recovered remains are pitted and aged, as though they'd been in space far longer than their known lifespans. As Tyler, Jason, and Diane grow up, space probe reveals a bizarre truth: The barrier is artificial, generated by huge alien artifacts. Time is passing faster outside the barrier than inside--more than a hundred million years per day on Earth. At this rate, the death throes of the sun are only about forty years in our future. Jason, now a promising young scientist, devotes his life to working against this slow-moving apocalypse. Diane throws herself into hedonism, marrying a sinister cult leader who's forged a new religion out of the fears of the masses.Earth sends terraforming machines to Mars to let the onrush of time do its work, turning the planet green. Next they send humans...and immediately get back an emissary with thousands of years of stories to tell about the settling of Mars. Then Earth's probes reveal that an identical barrier has appeared around Mars. Jason, desperate, seeds near space with self-replicating machines that will scatter copies of themselves outward from the sun--and report back on what they find. Life on Earth is about to get much, much stranger.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #38
SteveHawk
Author of Peace Warrior
SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.SteveHawk is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by modwitch View Post
Thanks for the shout out, Modwitch!

And I can vouch for Joe Mitchell's
Shard Mountain as well. I read it this past summer and thought it was wonderful. Here's the link to the book, and the review I posted for it. My review should be the first one on the page. http://www.amazon.com/Shard-Mountain...cm_cr-mr-title
SteveHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #39
Mitch G
Connoisseur
Mitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enoughMitch G will become famous soon enough

I forgot to mention The Passage by Justin Cronin.
Although the ending reminds you it's part of a trilogy (yet to be written), I found it an enjoyable read.

Mitch
Mitch G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:13 PM   #40
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Have you read Souls in the Great Machine (Sean McMullen)? It's a start of a series about earth after technology is gone- wonderful.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #41
fantasyISbetter
FantasyisBetter
fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyISbetter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I forgot to mention an IT "horror" almost dystopean book that was great- Daemon by Daniel Suarez. Anyone in IT should appreciate the concept.
fantasyISbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:48 AM   #42
bonaldo2000
Enthusiast
bonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy bluebonaldo2000 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: prs-505
The Stand by Stephen King. A supremely excellent book in my opinion (it's not sci-fi but it's as apocalyptic as they get).
bonaldo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #43
JoelArnold
Fanatic
JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoelArnold ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I don't think anyone's mentioned I Am Legend yet. (And if someone has, sorry!)
I've been wanting to read Earth Abides for awhile now - so thanks for the reminder! I'll download that tonight.
JoelArnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #44
khintul
Enthusiast
khintul doesn't litterkhintul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle2, Kindle 3, PRS-300, PRS-350, PaperWhite 1, Kobo Aura HD
I just discovered Earth Abides, and started reading it today - can't believe I'd never even heard of it before!!

As I was reading I began wondering just how old this book was because the main character was talking about going into a house and laying down on the davenport - hadn't heard that term in a long, long time!

Anyway, so far so good - seems like it's going to be a good read.
khintul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 10:53 AM   #45
Bidibulle
Enthusiast
Bidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheeseBidibulle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kobo Clara Hd
In the 60's JG Ballard wrote several post-apocalytic books: The most acclaimed were 'The Drowned World' and 'The Draught' (also known as 'The Burning World').

'The Wild Shore' by Kim Stanley Robinson (post nuclear, that one)
I remember having read the whole 'Orange County Trilogy' and liked it a lot. Don't know if it aged well...

Last edited by Bidibulle; 12-31-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Bidibulle is offline   Reply With Quote