Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-08-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
meth
meth began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Color ereader for reading online magazines

Good morning,
I'm looking for suggestions on a color ereader with at least an 9" screen to be used for reading pdf magazines. Preferably less than $800. The options I've seen so far would be an iPad, enTourage eDGe, or possibly a netbook with a swivel screen. Anything else out there to consider?

Thanks in advance!
meth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iPad really is the best choice for this, I think. It's lighter, has a much better battery life, and is cheaper, than most Tablet PCs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #3
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
HarryT is right ... for the moment. A lot of new options should be arriving in the next 2-3 months, though, if you can wait. Certainly by the end of the year. (Speaking specifically about Pixel Qi here but Mirasol will probably be available in the next 6-12 months)
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #4
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iPad really is the best choice for this, I think. It's lighter, has a much better battery life, and is cheaper, than most Tablet PCs.
But is it cheaper? You can buy an Asus tablet with a 10" screen for $500.

The plus side is that you are running Windows 7, so a real operating system. It's thicker, because it has a keyboard. But I believe in terms of weight it's similar, or not much heavier. And has a built-in stylus. The only downside I see is, as you mentioned, battery life. But I would take a tablet with Windows 7 any day over the handicapped OS on the Ipad.

Or how about the Lenovo alternative:
http://www.alltouchtablet.com/articl...mparison-1889/

As others have mentioned, it might be a good idea to wait. I personally can't wait for the Asus EEPad, or whatever it is going to be called (I really, truly, hope they change the name; I am not looking forward tot he IPad-EEPad confusion).
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
But is it cheaper? You can buy an Asus tablet with a 10" screen for $500.

The plus side is that you are running Windows 7, so a real operating system. It's thicker, because it has a keyboard. But I believe in terms of weight it's similar, or not much heavier. And has a built-in stylus. The only downside I see is, as you mentioned, battery life. But I would take a tablet with Windows 7 any day over the handicapped OS on the Ipad.
Depends what you want to do with it, of course. I have a couple of notebook PCs, but the iPad isn't a rival to them - it's a completely different class of machine. If I want to do real work, I use a notebook. If I want to check my e-mail, browse the web, or read a book, I use my iPad. Its best feature is the fact that you just pick it up and it's instantly on. No waiting for it to boot, like a PC.

You need to think about what you want to use it for, and act accordingly. a Tablet PC and an iPad are very different things.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert