Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 10:08 AM   #16
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
The hard cover is now $17.50!
Way to increase sales!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #17
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Sigh. And here I left my Kindle turned on all night so the book would be there when I woke up this AM. I didn't realize it had been delayed...
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You should count yourself fortune that you only have to wait a few weeks. NONE of Mr King's books whatsoever are available to any Kindle owner anywhere outside the US!

Last edited by HarryT; 11-10-2009 at 10:18 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #19
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Your other option is buy an Epub version from BnN - apparently* it's only a trivial $40

And you'd have to scrub the DRM and reformat it for Kindle.

sometimes you wonder if publishers are really supportive of thie ebook concept.

*not a fan, and not interested myself, so haven't confirmed this. It's what I've seen others complaining about.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony_fox View Post
Your other option is buy an Epub version from BnN - apparently* it's only a trivial $40

And you'd have to scrub the DRM and reformat it for Kindle.

sometimes you wonder if publishers are really supportive of thie ebook concept.

*not a fan, and not interested myself, so haven't confirmed this. It's what I've seen others complaining about.
Do you have a link? It's not supposed to be available anywhere as an ebook (no matter the format) until the end of December.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2009, 11:08 AM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Way to increase sales!
It's $21 at B&N and $17.50 at Wlamart.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 11:33 AM   #22
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
Sorry. My mistake. the thread I was looking about was for the Stand, $40 and B&N. third hand info without a link. If true it's still daft.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:05 PM   #23
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
Well, and then there are those of us (heh) who will buy the hardcover, inhale it, pass it on to family for their enjoyment...and if it has any re-read value, add the Kindle one to our permanent library in December.

This is one chunky book though. My wrists are already starting to ache from holding it.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:38 PM   #24
jament
Enthusiast
jament doesn't litterjament doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505
I've been a King fan for a long, long time but I don't understand his position on this at all.

He's said that he supported the delay of the e-book to help out the independent booksellers and try to protect their sales.

Yet, he also celebrated the price wars that pushed the pre-order price of the hardcover down to $9 - a price that independent booksellers can't possibly match and compete with.

To me, the contradiction just means that it's all B.S.
jament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 PM   #25
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FligMupple View Post
If, in theory, I wanted to personally protest this stupid delay of the ebook, and get a "pirated" version that can be read on a Kindle, where would I go/look? As someone who has only bought legit ebooks, and will continue to buy non-King ebooks, I don't know where to look. I thought I would ask here first.
Mobileread's policies forbid specific, and even almost-specific, instructions on how to get pirated ebooks. (What's permitted is advice like "google for the author's name and the word ebook" and "learn how to operate torrent software.")

That said--as mentioned, the only way there'll be a pirate copy is if someone scans & OCR's the hardcover. Which, in the case of Harry Potter books, happens in a matter of hours after the release; I have no idea if there's as much interest in King's new book.

Quick conversions tend to be sloppy, with poor formatting and lots of OCR errors. If you want to read & enjoy the book (unlike HP fans who often want to slam through the ebook version ASAP in order to keep from getting blasted with spoilers on their discussion communities, or who keep an ebook version in order to check for details while writing fanfic), you should probably either get the hardcover, or wait for the ebook version.

Writing to the publisher and pointing out that you want to buy the ebook, but may no longer be interested by the time it's released (especially if you've been subjected to spoilers in the meantime) might be useful in general, but is not going to get you a copy of the book any sooner.

Yes, it's stupid to delay the ebook release. No, there's nothing we can do about it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:35 PM   #26
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Well, time to see if the book it on the torrents now...
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM   #27
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Well, nothing yet
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #28
BarryTX
Connoisseur
BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'BarryTX can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle 2
I guess I save the most of all, with no intention of buying any version. I gave up on King long ago as his stories got hokier and hokier.
BarryTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:04 PM   #29
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Under the Dome: A Novel (Kindle Edition)
# Format: Kindle Edition
# File Size: 6 KB
# Print Length: 1088 pages
# Publisher: Scribner (December 24, 2009)
# Sold by: Amazon Digital Services
# Language: English
# ASIN: B002UFUMDI

6 KB for 1066 pages!
Oh, no! Page numbers means topaz!!!!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
No, Topaz is when there is no file size (only page numbers). They don't want us to see how huge those topaz files are.
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote