Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 02-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #35641
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Tying rawhide laces can be a problem... at first. If you don't like that knot, here are two other options.
1. Tie your usual knot, but with one small variation. When you begin the knot, instead of a simple overhand turn (left over right, as in figure 1 or your example,) make it a double. Go around twice instead of just once, then tie your bow the usual way. The two turns will stop most of the pull on the bow from the movement of your foot.
2. Soften the rawhide laces. Get some ordinary shoe cream (NOT wax shoe polish!) neutral color, and rub it into the last foot or so of lace (the area used for tying.) Really work the cream into the leather, folding and bending, pulling, stretching, bending some more, softening the lace. It will be MUCH easier to tie a bow that will stay.

Stitchawl
Easiest would be to go for option 2, but it's too much hassle. I've got the boat shoes and the lace also runs along the side and back of the shoe. It will eventually become soft enough to use the usual knot (the traditional one with an extra knot made with the bows). I have to say that this new knot works great, it isn't easy to do with stiff laces but when you get it right is stays very well.

Besides the stiff laces I love my new men's boat shoes (the ladies' version was too narrow and pinched). I didn't even need to break them in. I just love how thick and supporting the soles are but how supple they bend, ideal for working in the store all day.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #35642
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I love my new Timberland shoes. However, the rawhide laces keep getting undone, which is driving my crazy. So, I've found another knot to use for tying shoelaces, with rawhide laces it doesn't look as pretty but I don't care as long as I don't have to tie my laces every half an hour.
That's exactly how I always tie my shoelaces. Is there another way???? If it is the type of lace that sometimes works loose, then I do what Stitchawl says and double tie it.

Right now I'm sitting here catching my breath between work calls and emails, wondering what day it is...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #35643
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
That's exactly how I always tie my shoelaces. Is there another way???? If it is the type of lace that sometimes works loose, then I do what Stitchawl says and double tie it.

Right now I'm sitting here catching my breath between work calls and emails, wondering what day it is...
Are you sure you aren't using this variation: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/twoloopknot.htm Rumpelteazer's kind has an extra go-round in the middle step.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #35644
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Are you sure you aren't using this variation: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/twoloopknot.htm Rumpelteazer's kind has an extra go-round in the middle step.
That's the one, you are quite right. Will have to give Rumpelteazer's one a go.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #35645
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
As much as I like knots (I love doing Macreme) I can't be bothered to tie my shoes. Instead, I use these. You can get them in black, white, brown, or gray. Once you put them on and adjust them, you never need to tie your shoes again. Just pull on the loops to tighten, press the button to loosen.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:19 PM   #35646
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
My back's been giving me more than its share of difficulties lately, so I bought a Teeter EP-560 Inversion Table from Woot a couple of days ago. It's scheduled to arrive via FedEx on Saturday.

Cool. Now I'll be able to sleep like Batman.

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 AM   #35647
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
My back's been giving me more than its share of difficulties lately, so I bought a Teeter EP-560 Inversion Table from Woot a couple of days ago. It's scheduled to arrive via FedEx on Saturday.

Cool. Now I'll be able to sleep like Batman.

When these first came out, back in the early 80's, I really wanted to give them a try... but at the time I was broke and couldn't even afford a day pass at the local health club to try them out. But...
Not one to be deterred by a little thing like money, I figured I could 'make my own...'

I already had a 'chinning bar' in one of the taller doorways in my house, so that would be the support. I had good modern ski boots so I would have no difficulty 'clamping' my legs properly, and when combined with a loop of 1"tubular webbing from my rock climbing gear, and a 'sky hook' from the same pack, all it took was putting on the boots, looping the webbing around the ankles, connecting the webbing to the skyhook with a carabiner, and 'simply' pulling myself up, bringing my feet over my head while hanging upside down by one hand and hooking the skyhook over the chinning bar! No problem... until I was ready to try and get down...

It only took two weeks for the pain in my back to get to manageable levels. The tilt tables are a MUCH better idea...

Stitchawl
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 AM   #35648
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Having a girlie day; dyeing my hair and doing my nails. I'm now waiting until I can rinse the dye out of my hair. I wanted to trim my nails but I can't find my nail clippers (again), so I think it's time to find a good manicure set today. Unfortunately, a lot of those sets are very bad (nail clippers that aren't sharp, nail files that are nothing more than cross hatched lines on a metal plate) so I have to go to various beauty stores to check out what they've got in stock.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 AM   #35649
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
When these first came out, back in the early 80's, I really wanted to give them a try... but at the time I was broke and couldn't even afford a day pass at the local health club to try them out. But...
Not one to be deterred by a little thing like money, I figured I could 'make my own...'

I already had a 'chinning bar' in one of the taller doorways in my house, so that would be the support. I had good modern ski boots so I would have no difficulty 'clamping' my legs properly, and when combined with a loop of 1"tubular webbing from my rock climbing gear, and a 'sky hook' from the same pack, all it took was putting on the boots, looping the webbing around the ankles, connecting the webbing to the skyhook with a carabiner, and 'simply' pulling myself up, bringing my feet over my head while hanging upside down by one hand and hooking the skyhook over the chinning bar! No problem... until I was ready to try and get down...

It only took two weeks for the pain in my back to get to manageable levels. The tilt tables are a MUCH better idea...

Stitchawl
Ha! I could see me trying to go that route. I'd still be hanging there.

Update: now that the device has actually arrived at FedEx, the delivery date has been revised to Tuesday, 2/19/2013.

I don't plan to go a full 180 at first; I'll take this slowly and see how each level feels.

I was also thinking about inclining our mattress slightly. I don't use a pillow when I sleep on my back, only when I turn on my side. And whenever a need a quick nap, I find that elevating the legs seems to supercharge the sleep experience.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:49 AM   #35650
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Having a girlie day; dyeing my hair and doing my nails. I'm now waiting until I can rinse the dye out of my hair. I wanted to trim my nails but I can't find my nail clippers (again), so I think it's time to find a good manicure set today. Unfortunately, a lot of those sets are very bad (nail clippers that aren't sharp, nail files that are nothing more than cross hatched lines on a metal plate) so I have to go to various beauty stores to check out what they've got in stock.
At one time I had a set of nail clippers in every room of the house. Every time the clippers weren't where they were suppose to be, rather than looking for them, I'd just go out and buy another pair. Now I have one that I keep in my backpack. Since I know where it is and no one uses it without immediately returning it to me, it never gets lost (knock on wood!).

Have you found it increasingly difficult in recent years to find a decent pair of nail clippers?
Old 02-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #35651
Stitchawl
Opsimath

Quote:
I don't plan to go a full 180 at first; I'll take this slowly and see how each level feels.
I think you will be rather surprised... and find yourself going for the full upside down almost immediately. I was a bit 'let down' (no pun intended) that I didn't feel it stretching my back the way I though it would. (I'm talking about the real tilt table, not my DeSade device.) I hung and I hung and I hung, but it just never felt as if my back was stretching. I get more of 'that' feeling by supporting my upper body (as if holding myself up on Parallel Bars) and letting my legs pull down on my spine.

Quote:
At one time I had a set of nail clippers in every room of the house. Every time the clippers weren't where they were suppose to be, rather than looking for them, I'd just go out and buy another pair. Now I have one that I keep in my backpack. Since I know where it is and no one uses it without immediately returning it to me, it never gets lost (knock on wood!).

Have you found it increasingly difficult in recent years to find a decent pair of nail clippers?
Not a problem. I use an axe or a machete, and my wife is afraid of both. No problem getting through the tougher nail on my big toe...

(I've got the same clipper that I bought when I was in college... although recently I picked up a German 'pliers' type of nail cutter. (These pics are only to show type, not brand.) But when I'm in Thailand, I get my toenails cut at a salon $3 for a pedicure and foot massage. Much easier on my back, and great for my disposition. As a guitar player, I usually use 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper to deal with finger nails.

Stitchawl
Old 02-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #35652
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
...I use an axe or a machete, and my wife is afraid of both. No problem getting through the tougher nail on my big toe...
Found a video of you trimming your nails.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #35653
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Very hard. The pair I bought today for €5 doesn't cut but clamps off the nail. If I can't find my old pair, which was very sharp, I'm going to invest in some expensive (€15-20) clippers. I know I last put them on my nightstand, they might have fallen off and I hope not into the trashbin I had next to it earlier this week and emptied yesterday.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM   #35654
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I have an inversion jobbie, similar to the above, except with a fabric back rest. I use it about once a month, just to put some invisible space between the bones in me back. I never feel it doing anything, but I sure get back aches and neck aches when I *don't* do it for a while!
See, I'm 5'3" and used to date a 6'3" guy. He'd pick me up off the ground, in a bear hug, and I'd hear all my vertebrae releasing a little. Ahhhhh! Without him, I had to buy one of these. Not nearly as good, but it works.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #35655
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I have an inversion jobbie, similar to the above, except with a fabric back rest. I use it about once a month, just to put some invisible space between the bones in me back. I never feel it doing anything, but I sure get back aches and neck aches when I *don't* do it for a while!
See, I'm 5'3" and used to date a 6'3" guy. He'd pick me up off the ground, in a bear hug, and I'd hear all my vertebrae releasing a little. Ahhhhh! Without him, I had to buy one of these. Not nearly as good, but it works.
I'm going to save this post to show to my wife as justification as to why I spent $229 + $5 S&H for a device she'll no doubt call frivolous and a waste of money (in other words, I haven't told her yet! ).

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?