Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #31
wheatfree
wheatfree doesn't litterwheatfree doesn't litter

Device: Pandigital Novel
The black one runs android 1.5 and has 128mb of RAM. The white one runs android 2.0 and has 256mb of RAM. The black one is harder to hack, runs slower because of the RAM, and will never run a lot of the newer apps because it will never run android 2.0.

If all you wanted was an ebook reader, the black one is fine. If you plan to use it as an android tablet, get the white one.
wheatfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 12:34 PM   #32
londonfire
londonfire began at the beginning.

Device: pandigital novel ereader
Thanks, wheatfree. That helps a lot. Ed.
londonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 07:44 PM   #33
lotrfan
Connoisseur
lotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enoughlotrfan will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Also the 2gb on the black one is fixed. The white Novel has a 1gb micro sd card that can be replaced. Note though that very few apps other than the ones from pandigital can "see" this internal sd card.

Another difference is that the white Novel has an internal fixed "hard drive" of 512MB where all the apps are installed and run from yet I am pretty sure that the black one only has 256MB. Therefore if hacked, more apps fit in the white one than the black one.
lotrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #34
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I second the suggestion on getting the white one. Everything I've been reading indicates that that's the one that is the easiest to modify by the average user (witness myself as the example of that), and having Android 2.0 means that you're not going to have a problem with most Android apps working on it. The majority of the free apps that I was looking at required at least Android 1.5 but some required 1.6 or higher. Some of the new ones require 2.1 which means I can't use them. No sense in crippling yourself right from the start.

A site that I've found that I can install Android applications from is slideme.org. There's an Android setting on the PDN that has to be set to allow installation of non-Android Market applications. Since I don't have Android Market installed, everything that I download and install is by definition non-Android Market.

EDIT: Just installed a lovely APK (Android application) called World Newspapers. It also allows you to access magazines.

Last edited by Xanthe; 12-13-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:04 AM   #35
wheatfree

Well, I had a failed app update through the market last night, got it shut down, and woke up to the blue bootup screen--and nothing else. Maybe you should be thankful you didn't install GE. It wouldn't load the firmware. I just finished flashing it back to stock, so I get to start over. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to try something else, since I flashed mine to the Cruz UI firmware on slatedroid within 12 hours of getting it a few months back and never tried anything else.

I think I'm going to see how that 2.2 thing is coming along and then maybe install the open platform. I have a v.1 board, and it wouldn't kill me to actually see video on mine that doesn't stutter, so I could hack the 7/24 I just flashed it to. We'll see.
Advert
Old 12-14-2010, 12:09 AM   #36
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's why I shied away from trying to install AM/GE first - I saw too many posts from people having problems with it, and since I am totally unfamiliar with Android I wanted to at least learn something about it before I BSOD'd it.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:14 AM   #37
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Here is a link to a thread on SlateDroid where a member provided a list of sites where you can download Android apps (APK) directly to your computer: http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?...30413#msg30413

Very useful if you don't have Android Market on your PDN.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #38
wheatfree

I tried to do without market access yesterday. I really did. That was a non-starter all the way around for me. I am an android market addict. I admit it. I check the market for updates every day. I install new things to play with. I have the coolest Christmas wallpapers. I have so many that I can (and do) change my wallpaper every night. I'm not the biggest holiday-type person, but I do love the Christmas wallpapers. *sigh*

I'm not looking for a 12 step program. I'm comfortable in my market addiction. My PDN is now back to the Cruz UI where I can feed my need for new and exciting things to do with my PDN to my heart's content. I have no willpower.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:20 PM   #39
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

I like the SlideMe.org application. There's a nice assortment of apk's available, and their manager checks compatability with my device so I'm less likely to try to install something that's designed for a higher Android version.

I've had to reset the PDN a couple of times so far when various gadgets I was trying out from other sites just didn't work right or seemed to cause a cascading problem. But it was painless and simple to do. I just need to better organize the apk's on my external SD card so that I clear off the ones I'm not going to install again and have my core ones easily available.

A question about apk's. When I "install" them from my external SD card, I'm not quite sure of what is happening. Is a program being loaded onto my internal SD card, or is a pointer just being added so the the PDN looks to the external SD card to run the apk from there? Is the apk file akin to a setup file or an .exe file?

Perhaps after Christmas I might play around with the Cruz UI. Right now, I don't have the available time to allow myself to get lost in playing with the PDN. Tree to finish decorating, Christmas cards to still send out, cookies to bake, shopping to finish, presents to wrap - lol.
Old 12-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #40
wheatfree

You can delete the files from the external card after you install. If you're running the Open Platform mod, all of the apks install to the internal sd card. Otherwise, they install to proprietary memory inside the PDN that only has something like 128 mb of space.

That sounds like you'd run out quickly, but I just counted, and I have 65 apps on mine and still have 33MB of space to install more. Not to mention that there's a number of those 65 I could uninstall without missing them at all. My market obsession is showing again.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:20 AM   #41
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force

Where do they show up on the internal SD card?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:11 AM   #42
wheatfree

Open Platform apps install to /data/app in the sdcard. Not sure if the /data folder is a top level directory on the card or not, since I've never tried the OP mod.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:13 PM   #43
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
I just purchased a Black PDN at BBB here in Ottawa Canada. I tried to get the White one but they only carried the Black. It comes with the Android 1.5 and loaded with the Kobo Reader app.

After doing the firmware update I noticed that I was granted access to various folders on the internal memory. These didn't show up before the update.

I can also download and install android apps - (limited by the 1.5 android level).

I found the screen responsive enough (I have enough full size stylus to use), It plays mp4 movies without stutter and Internet access and email is great. Nice display for personal pictures and the built in apps do fine by me.

It cost me $199 and with a mail in rebate that brings it down to $169.

Does anyone know if the White PDN is available in Canada w/o having to get it Online?

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:34 PM   #44
Rose
Rose doesn't litterRose doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300, Pandigital Novel, Kindle 3 with wifi
John,

I work in Brampton and they had the white PDN at Best Buy. I think they had it priced at $199.00.

Rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 06:15 PM   #45
jlg432
Addict
jlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead communityjlg432 has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: jetBook, ALP, Pandigital 7"Color(Black+ White), Kyros MID7015a
Rose, thanks but the only White PDN I found online and in the store (Best Buy and Future shop) was their monochrome e-reader. They only offer the Black Colour PDN with the built in Kobo Reader. That is the unit I have and as I am not willing to spend $600+ to play around with an Android tablet I will keep what I have. I have already added their new FW update which opens it up even though I am stuck with Android 1.5 it should satisfy my needs.

I have access to the Internet, email, Youtube app, Facebook app and others that interest me.

I was hoping to add some of the other major e-reader apps but I guess the 1.5 is the downfall. I did find a PDF reader that supports text flow.

Still I can't really complain as it only cost $169+tax cnd. The next tablet that was available locally was the Samsung Galaxy but I am not willing to spend $600+ for a toy. I did not like the 16:9 layout of the Samsung. I prefer the screen size of the PDN for Internet reading.

John
jlg432 is offline   Reply With Quote