Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 02:59 AM   #46
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
PRS-300, no matter what cable is used, (it's noted in this forum somewhere), but it sounds as though Sony have stopped this practise. The T3 is looking like a good upgrade for me from my PRS-300 - which cost £169 at the time!
You could charge a PRS 300 through a wall charger--although it was a special charger like this:

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Compa.../dp/B004I1GI12

It won't charge via a USB wall charger. For the x50s on, the Sonys will charge through a USB wall charger.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #47
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Does anyone know what specification the processor is in the T3? Is it fair to assume that it will be faster than my PRS-300?
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #48
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Has Sony ever changed their firmware so you can tap to turn as well as swipe?
Anyone?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:47 PM   #49
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Anyone?
AFAIK I have the latest Sony Firmware on my device. My T2 is unhacked.

The only choice they show in settings in the Preference for Page Turns is either right to left, or left to right.

Or use the buttons.

But tapping won't work.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:49 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post

The only choice they show in settings in the Preference for Page Turns is either right to left, or left to right.

Or use the buttons.

But tapping won't work.
Thanks.

That's unfortunate.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #51
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post

Or use the buttons.

But tapping won't work.
I actually just turned on my T1 to see, since I the whole reason I love Sony readers is that they provide buttons. I very seldom swipe.

It's also the reason why I love the Aldiko reading app since you can use the volume buttons on your phone, mp player etc. to turn the page!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:01 PM   #52
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
Thanks.

That's unfortunate.
I noticed the reviewer poking at the screen with no response then started swiping instead. I wondered why my T1 would never turn pages with a tap. I thought "I wasn't holding it right." It was by design, it seems.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #53
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
The PRS-T3 looks gorgeous, I really like the slim lighted cover. Sadly they are 2 years behind the times with this (I am open to correction on the timespan). I think Sony has really missed the boat on this release.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #54
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
The PRS-T3 looks gorgeous, I really like the slim lighted cover. Sadly they are 2 years behind the times with this (I am open to correction on the timespan). I think Sony has really missed the boat on this release.
Yes and no I think. When the price was first speculated to be around $150 I thought that sounded crazy, but if it comes in around $100-$110ish (still don't know US pricing) that's not too terribly bad.

The thing is that with them not putting in a light and probably pricing it as high as models that do have a light you have to wonder if it will sell well or if it will cause Sony to decide that they're done with the reader market, like they've done with other things. That would be a shame.

I personally am fine having a reader without a light (don't really use the one on the Aura HD), even if a lot of the market seems to want one, so the T3 is probably close to the perfect device for me, but I'd have to get more familiar with Sony's newer firmware before deciding to buy (I really wish you could tap to turn).
Old 09-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #55
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Yes and no I think. When the price was first speculated to be around $150 I thought that sounded crazy, but if it comes in around $100-$110ish (still don't know US pricing) that's not too terribly bad.

The thing is that with them not putting in a light and probably pricing it as high as models that do have a light you have to wonder if it will sell well or if it will cause Sony to decide that they're done with the reader market, like they've done with other things. That would be a shame.

I personally am fine having a reader without a light (don't really use the one on the Aura HD), even if a lot of the market seems to want one, so the T3 is probably close to the perfect device for me, but I'd have to get more familiar with Sony's newer firmware before deciding to buy (I really wish you could tap to turn).
I don't find the price too high and if like other years it will be $99 by Christmas and probably $79 by spring.

I would like the option of purchasing either cover or buying without cover and getting the lighted one instead. I am not really that into covers anyway, but the basic cover is a sleep cover AFAIK which might be handy as it would save where and tear on the on/off switch if indeed there is still an on/off switch?.

Perhaps if I look on the original cover as a backup in case the lighted cover stops working. (I need an attached light of some sort for reading on the balcony at night. )

And yes I would also like tap to turn, but buttons are okay too.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:06 PM   #56
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:

Yes, you are right, it is good to give people a choice. I use the light on my ereader all the time, and would not buy one without an inbuilt frontlight. I have been mistaken in my assumption that this is a feature that the majority of users would want. But having had a quick check on prices here in Ireland - Sony T3 unlighted at €149 vs Kobo Glo at €119 (Aura and Aura HD not available here yet), I think the Sony is expensive for what it offers, But that may differ in other markets.
PS Kindle PW is €129, no price in Euro for the PW2 yet

Last edited by Breid; 09-05-2013 at 09:10 PM. Reason: to add PS
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 PM   #57
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I don't find the price too high and if like other years it will be $99 by Christmas and probably $79 by spring.
That's fine. Like I said the US pricing (& release date) is unknown at this point anyway. $99ish gets me pretty interested, $120ish gets me maybe interested, but then I look at the other stuff available and start to think a little bit, $140+ and I'd probably be out.

Quote:
I would like the option of purchasing either cover or buying without cover and getting the lighted one instead. I am not really that into covers anyway, but the basic cover is a sleep cover AFAIK which might be handy as it would save where and tear on the on/off switch if indeed there is still an on/off switch?.
Agreed, options are good. I used be a die hard cover user (Sony 505, Kindle 2 & 3), but have kind of gotten used to going without for the past few years and like it. The T3 cover doesn't look like much so maybe I'd be OK with it.

Quote:
And yes I would also like tap to turn, but buttons are okay too.
Oh, buttons are fine. I just question if I'd be OK with only the buttons on the bottom. I liked the page turn button arrangements on the 505 it allowed me to read one handed with either hand.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 09-05-2013 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM   #58
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
Yes, you are right, it is good to give people a choice. I use the light on my ereader all the time, and would not buy one without an inbuilt frontlight. I have been mistaken in my assumption that this is a feature that the majority of users would want. But having had a quick check on prices here in Ireland - Sony T3 unlighted at €149 vs Kobo Glo at €119 (Aura and Aura HD not available here yet), I think the Sony is expensive for what it offers, But that may differ in other markets.
PS Kindle PW is €129, no price in Euro for the PW2 yet
PW2 is €129, too.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...er/#more-56783
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #59
Geralt
Witcher
Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geralt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
sony is way too expensive for those specs. they will not be competitive at all with kobo and amazon with this new device.
Geralt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #60
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geralt View Post
sony is way too expensive for those specs. they will not be competitive at all with kobo and amazon with this new device.
I agree, it's £99 in the UK which is £11 less than the new Paperwhite @ £109 but by the time you add in the lighted cover its a lot dearer, if the lighted cover is the rumoured €50 which is £42 approx, so £141.

I know you need a cover for the Paperwhite and the official cover is £31, so together they are £140 but a lot of people get a cheap cover and don't pay £31 for the official one.

Plus new readers unsure of what's what will compare the unlit T3 against the K4, Amazons only unlit reader which retails for £69, so add in the £31 cover for that and that comes in at £100, not the T3s £141.

It's very sad but I think the designers at Sony are fools to bring out a device without a front light.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote