Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #271
dacattt
Connoisseur
dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.dacattt could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Astak 6 EZ Reader Plus
Over in these forums you're going to find folks that are passionate about their readers, who are going to explain why someone shouldn't just default to a Kindle or Nook. Anyone converted who hangs around here, is going to be going out and singing the praises of YOUR e-book and why a non DRM reader, especially this non DRM reader is our pick in the crazy market of constantly changing readers.

Just two days ago at dinner, someone asked a question about my reader, it was out of it's case in a flash, passed over and that brought more asking questions. BUT, what could I do. Give them your name but said you can't see the reader there right now. Gave out MobileRead web site and told them to get their questions answered here. And check to see if they might be able to get an EZ Reader by then.

Took 10 minutes to get my reader back... but was fun even if we clogged up the restaurant. Sure made some converts.

The folks who's eyes really lit up, and copied down all the names on paper scraps were those who responded to non-DRM. It's very important to folks who are going to get your reader.

So... to push your bookstore, make DRM very clear.

To continuing just talking my experiences, I bought books from your old book store even before ordering my reader. I found I had DRMed books, went though the roof, and it was a month more before I bought my reader.

Don't discount the link of those two items for creating sales of both.
dacattt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #272
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
and why a non DRM reader, especially this non DRM reader is our pick in the crazy market of constantly changing readers.
Quote:
The folks who's eyes really lit up, and copied down all the names on paper scraps were those who responded to non-DRM. It's very important to folks who are going to get your reader.
exactly
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2010, 09:41 PM   #273
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel
Urf. Astak tech support still hasn't contacted my sister for repair or replacement. I don't believe the 'photo of damage not received' claim as it is available on one of my web sites.

My sister sent the photos, again, to both myself and support at Astak in the same email on October 20, 2010. So they cannot claim to not receiving them.

Over a two month wait for support is not acceptible.
Joebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:54 AM   #274
theusualuser
Enthusiast
theusualuser doesn't littertheusualuser doesn't litter

Device: none
I have to say, I don't even own an EZReader, but this is probably the single most interesting thread on MobileRead.

I've gotten to see a man lose his job, and a PR person (and Jennifer, I feel for ya) be forced to cover up some ugly truths.

I've gotten to see a community enraged over the lack of support for a product that is either trying to re-tool it's operation OR shutdown completely (depending on who you choose to believe).

And most of all, I've gotten valuable insight in EXACTLY how to lose a userbase's trust completely and wreck any future chance of selling a product.

What's that you say? How did they wreck their future? Simple. The internet never forgets. And MobileRead has a very high google ranking.

So, regardless of the "coming soon" website or shoddy tech support or claims being mishandled, the EZReader is dead in the water because people like me who were interested in purchasing one will see this thread and say, "Aw, hell no. I am NOT going to get into bed with this company."
theusualuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:59 AM   #275
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theusualuser View Post
I've gotten to see a community enraged over the lack of support for a product that is either trying to re-tool it's operation OR shutdown completely (depending on who you choose to believe).
I suspect most of us believe they're trying to re-tool. It's just that we've seen several other companies announce "changes soon!" followed by "changes soon!" followed by "um, slight hold-ups; plz wait" followed by "changes soon!" ... followed by a 404 message on the former website.

And not reacting to potential customer feedback is a bad sign. I don't mean Jenifer; she's been as responsive as we could want. I mean that the website still says the EZReaders are "out of stock," not "temporarily unavailable to sell;" the bookstore still has links to products you can't buy; its search engine is still incredibly limited--it'll show you whether they've got a specific book, but not a list of books you might be interested in by any reasonable criteria. Which means that, whether or not they "want" to hear from us, they're not willing or able to provide the public with what's known to create sales.

Quote:
And most of all, I've gotten valuable insight in EXACTLY how to lose a userbase's trust completely and wreck any future chance of selling a product.
Nah, they could get it back. All they have to do is get the devices problems sorted out in the next, oh, three weeks or so, before the Christmas buying rush kicks in strong, and make the website pleasant & useful before Christmas, so that when people open their new ezreaders, they immediately hop online & go to the bookstore to buy content for it.

Or they can wait until next year to try the same thing, but the tech changes will probably make their current devices obsolete to most customers by then.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #276
eGeezer
NE1 seen my glasses?
eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.eGeezer is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nook Glowlight (following previous nook STR and STR w/GL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post

...Nah, they could get it back...
I totally agree

Quote:
... All they have to do is get the devices problems sorted out in the next, oh, three weeks or so, before the Christmas buying rush kicks in strong, and make the website pleasant & useful before Christmas...
I again totally agree, but not only will I not hold my breath -- based on their history to date, I'm not even going to bother taking a deep breath.

But I hope so. Its a great, versatile product. But they are on the verge of being left behind.
eGeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 10:49 PM   #277
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:

What's that you say? How did they wreck their future? Simple. The internet never forgets. And MobileRead has a very high google ranking.

So, regardless of the "coming soon" website or shoddy tech support or claims being mishandled, the EZReader is dead in the water because people like me who were interested in purchasing one will see this thread and say, "Aw, hell no. I am NOT going to get into bed with this company."
I agree. I was one of those people planning to buy the latest Astak, based upon how RobertB touted it and because I liked the fact that it handled so many formats without having to convert them. But with its axing of RobertB, the phantom websites, out-of-stock product, and the tying of Jennifer's hands regarding explanations to us - pffft. There's plenty other companies out there to give my money to, and Sony got it.

It just seems to me that they missed the chance to ride the crest of the ereader wave. They had people who were willing to purchase their new reader, even though the price was going to be higher than the Kindle, Nook, and Kobo. But not having the product available for sale - whether the problem was with their own logistics or with the manufacturer - on top of the breakage of the close relationship this forum had with their rep did do, IMO, serious damage to their reputation.

As theusualuser said, this site has a high Google rating. Any question about ebook readers usually directs you to this website. Anyone reading through this forum is going to have second thoughts about buying the Astak product.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:43 PM   #278
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebill View Post
Urf. Astak tech support still hasn't contacted my sister for repair or replacement. I don't believe the 'photo of damage not received' claim as it is available on one of my web sites.

My sister sent the photos, again, to both myself and support at Astak in the same email on October 20, 2010. So they cannot claim to not receiving them.

Over a two month wait for support is not acceptible.
Unfortunately, here I must say that something has gone wrong with this claim. I have seen, with my own eyes, your sister's responses to my messages. I have also witnessed two separate members of our tech team respond and send the RMA information along to your sister. Again, I'm going to have to ask that you either call in to speak with support directly, or I can email your sister one more time. Weekly, I have pressed this issue in the office. Either your sister is not receiving our emails or she had not chosen to use our RMA form. Support number is (408) 452-8788 and our hours are 9-5 PST.
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #279
jenifer.ezread
EZ Read Team Member
jenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enoughjenifer.ezread will become famous soon enough

Device: EZ Read Pocket Pro
Quote:

shoddy tech support or claims being mishandled.
I really want to address any issues for a lack of support. This claim is often tossed around, and of course, I am not a member of the tech support team, but if anyone right now reading this does have an actual problem with their device, you can email support@astak.com and PLEASE cc your email to my personal account, jenifera@ezread.com

Every day that I am physically in the office, I monitor the forums so I can relay this information to tech. My cubicle is literally across from two members of our tech team. This gives me infinite power to bring up issues.

I have done my absolute best to scan through your posts for actual problems which can be addressed. Is this poor tech support? Maybe. But I don't want anyone coming to the forums, without even bothering to call or message our team, believing that they will not receive help.

Also note: EZ Read is not shutting down.
jenifer.ezread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:16 AM   #280
Joebill
Fanatic
Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joebill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

She checks her filters, nothing in there. She has workedi n tech support and knows how to check email filters, and use forms.

I'll forward your post to her.
Old 11-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #281
Joebill
Fanatic

I guess it is time for me to mention she CCed me on her second email to support on Oct 20, 2010. Support at Astak got a copy and I got a copy of the same email. Maybe they should check their filters. Just to make sure the don't have her on ignore.

I don't believe Astak support sent her a RMA number at any time.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:14 PM   #282
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
In the OP dated 10 Aug, the Astak rep mentioned the "EZRead Plus" ereader was available for sale and that there was a forum created for customer support. There are 17 posts at that forum site; virtually all of them either "test" or created before Aug 10. The "EZRead Plus" device is still not available ... in fact no device from Astak is available and the parent website eshews all knowledge of ereaders of any brand ... as of Nov 4, three months later.

Quote:
Our forum will a small part of a much larger site and Beta project we are currently working on. We are tackling a number of new challenges, recruiting new team members, and also trying to be a few steps ahead of our competition in the eBook industry with our new project. "Slow and steady" no more!
Laugh or cry? Perhaps the last two words sum it up. No more! (quoth the raven?)

But here's something even more galling: over at the Facebook page cited in the OP, this same staffer (one presumes) has the gall to write a "review" signed only as "The Renegade Staff" of the new Kobo WiFi eReader and rank it alongside "our own delightful EZReader". In the "review", the author states: "The screen is devoted entirely to text (unlike that icky Nook nonsense, gag)" ...

And never mind Astak has not had any stock in three months but the staffer still manages to exclaim (non-existent) EZReader is the best "Because it comes in pink, and also, it supports any format, DRM or no". Which is, of course, an outright lie: it does NOT support Kindle DRM nor Nook DRM.

The rankings, following MIA EZReader: Kindle is second, Kobo third, the Sony flawed because it is "(Industrial looking?)" in fourth and finally Nook "(THE COLOR BAR ON THE BOTTOM IS A FLAW IN ALL REASON)". And a bonus: "iPad does not make this list. It's a computer! Plus backlit screens will hurt your eyes".

They always warned me: Never say it can't get worse. I said it and it did.

Last edited by SensualPoet; 11-04-2010 at 09:18 PM.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #283
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
But here's something even more galling: over at the Facebook page cited in the OP, this same staffer (one presumes) has the gall to write a "review" signed only as "The Renegade Staff" of the new Kobo WiFi eReader and rank it alongside "our own delightful EZReader". In the "review", the author states: "The screen is devoted entirely to text (unlike that icky Nook nonsense, gag)" ...
Probably the only ereader they could get their hands on as we all know, they are out of stock of their own

Quote:
And never mind Astak has not had any stock in three months but the staffer still manages to exclaim (non-existent) EZReader is the best "Because it comes in pink, and also, it supports any format, DRM or no". Which is, of course, an outright lie: it does NOT support Kindle DRM nor Nook DRM.
Well that might have originally been true, but was it not announced like 4-5 months ago no more colours? The 5" were going to come in black or white?

3 months is a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG time to be out of stock with no new date of stock arrival. I know Jen is posting what she knows (which from what I have read she isn't being told much), but it isn't looking good. I wonder if this stock delay is to do with Jinke and the expected V60 release??
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #284
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
3 months is a LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGG time to be out of stock with no new date of stock arrival. I know Jen is posting what she knows (which from what I have read she isn't being told much), but it isn't looking good. I wonder if this stock delay is to do with Jinke and the expected V60 release??
Long. They probably have missed Christmas 2010 season.
Buyers for Christmas have usually placed orders in JULY for the Season stock. Christmas decorations are already appearing on shelves.

Missing a "Gifting" season is a DISASTER.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #285
Gill Batez
Gill Batez began at the beginning.

Device: none
You mean someone actually still cares about Astak? You folks are saints. I gave up on them two months ago. Just for a joke, I checked the website again, and what do you know? No stock! Who would have thought. It sounds like all they've done is kneecapped some poor guy to make him retire. And all this mysterious talk about legal issues is shorthand for "we're getting our asses sued". Good luck with that.

Just as an aside, I'm spending some time in China so I thought I might find an e-book reader to take home, since this is where they make them. I was surprised that the prices are virtually the same as in North America. Hardly worth the risk, since the chances are high that it is a fake or defective. I made the mistake of buying a Chinese "iPhone" on my last trip here. I thought it might be a fake, but that it would work, but I was wrong. It was a piece of trash. I put it on the street and let cars run over it before I threw it in the garbage. Chinese merchants have a no returns, no refunds policy.
Gill Batez is offline   Reply With Quote