Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
kylecronan
-
kylecronan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Another option on the Kindle is to just use a directory of images, one for each page. Instructions here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=373150

I compared this with PDFRead (prc-mobi profile), and there are advantages and disadvantages to both. PDFRead isn't as good at turning one portrait-mode page into two landscape-mode pages- sometimes content gets cut off and split across two pages. With a directory of images you don't have to divide each page in two, because the Kindle reader supports panning. On the other hand, the page turns are faster with PDFRead, and I like the fact that it crops out the margins and generates a table of contents automatically.

Another factor is that running PDFRead is quite slow for large files.

Last edited by kylecronan; 02-28-2009 at 02:53 PM.
kylecronan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
astromusic
astromusic began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
You're welcome. When it works, it works!

If you like PDFRead, then you'll love PDFRead with pi. Check out the sample technical .pdf I converted to .prc using both of these programs; pi first, then PDFRead.

Basically makes these small screened devices usable now for reading .pdf ebooks!
Nick, are you using the pi version 0.7, as posted by Ashkulz? Or, did you figure out a way to get pi 0.8 working (maybe with Linux live CD?)

Last edited by astromusic; 03-06-2009 at 06:36 PM.
astromusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #18
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by astromusic View Post
Nick, are you using the pi version 0.7, as posted by Ashkulz? Or, did you figure out a way to get pi 0.8 working (maybe with Linux live CD?)
The sample was made the hard way, first with the windows pi version ashkulz was able to post (ver 0.6, I believe) and from it's output (directory of images) I created the ebook using PDFRead.

I never did get to try the Linux Live CD, since I was waiting for a windows version of 0.8 or to have it incorporated WITHIN PDFRead by ashkulz for PDFRead v2.0 (C++ based).

Are you able to use the pi program? v0.8?

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-10-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: added link to windows pi version 0.6 done by ashkulz
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #19
DebraSeattleGrrl
DebraSeattleGrrl doesn't litterDebraSeattleGrrl doesn't litter

Smile Thanks quantamix

Thanks for sharing your settings quantamix!
DebraSeattleGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:27 PM   #20
astromusic
astromusic began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post

Are you able to use the pi program? v0.8?
No, not yet. I am about to embark on that quest (new Kindle 2 owner) and wanted to make sure I had the right info before reinventing the wheel!

I will post back as to success or failure after a few days (real busy at work!)
astromusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #21
hadeze
hadeze began at the beginning.

Any Luck

Hey have any luck with your Kindle 2 yet?
hadeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #22
fading
fading began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Text quality

Thanks to the original poster for pointing out PDFRead 1.8.2

It's certainly a good solution for me trying to produce a .prc from a .pdf and it's very easy to use.

The only problem I'm having is that the text doesn't look too great. The program seems to make the text very dark and quite grainy when zoomed in. Is this to do with the settings that I've chosen when converting with PDFRead?
fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #23
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fading View Post
Thanks to the original poster for pointing out PDFRead 1.8.2

It's certainly a good solution for me trying to produce a .prc from a .pdf and it's very easy to use.

The only problem I'm having is that the text doesn't look too great. The program seems to make the text very dark and quite grainy when zoomed in. Is this to do with the settings that I've chosen when converting with PDFRead?
Yes, increase the dpi setting to double or even triple what you are using. You probably have a low-resolution .pdf and the dilution gets too pronounced.

Increasing the dpi or setting 'no dilution' will help.

Also, be sure to get the updated NRhtml2mobi.exe mod when creating .prc files. You can even use the Sony MinFilter5 mod as well to increase the resolution of the final output. It's all available at the bottom of post #1 in the PDFRead main thread.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:47 AM   #24
fading
fading began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Still poor

Thanks Nick,

I've done all those things however and the text still looks poor...

I replaced that NRhtml2mobi.exe file in the 'bin' folder of PDFRead, and my settings for conversion are as follows:

profile - prc-mobi-p
unpaper - v
dilation DPI - 900
cropping percent - 2.0
colorspace -defaut
colors - 256
edge level -5
NO DILATION - TICKED
OPTIMIZE PNGs - TICKED

The file I have been left with is attached - as you can see, it doesn't look great when any level of zoom is set.

Thanks,

Sam
Attached Files
File Type: prc AB Guitar.prc (327.4 KB, 788 views)
fading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM   #25
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fading View Post
Thanks Nick,

I've done all those things however and the text still looks poor...

I replaced that NRhtml2mobi.exe file in the 'bin' folder of PDFRead, and my settings for conversion are as follows:

profile - prc-mobi-p
unpaper - v
dilation DPI - 900
cropping percent - 2.0
colorspace -defaut
colors - 256
edge level -5
NO DILATION - TICKED
OPTIMIZE PNGs - TICKED

The file I have been left with is attached - as you can see, it doesn't look great when any level of zoom is set.

Thanks,

Sam
OK, you're probably not going to like the answer, but due to those crop marks, the margins cannot be removed by PDFRead by itself. It can however, when using unpaper to strip them - see this post on how to do just that; needs experimentation, perhaps on a few pages at a time.

The idea for displaying pdf pages on small screen ebook devices is to somehow gain back those white margins (when using portrait-mode) OR use a landscape profile/mode (see attached screenshot). However, this will require two page turns for each pdf pages. (I told you wouldn't like the answer... )

But there's no other way to increase the clarity/readiblity of the text unless the image can be "zoomed-in" on the ebook page via white margin removal or landscape mode.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	32829  

Tags
duck!