Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #1
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Nokia N810, EZ-Reader, HTC Droid Incredible, Archos 70
Any OLPC display based readers on the way

Has anyone seen any information floating around the web about any concrete plans for a reader based on the tech from sunlight readable display of the XO? I've seen that ereaders are mentioned on the Pixel Qi site http://pixelqi.com/products but I haven't been able to find any information on companies that are interested in licensing the technology.

Personally I think it could make a great reading device and hope that someone somewhere will do just that. Something with an open linux based OS and maybe the java implemented mobireader like the iliad or something to cover the drm'ed books.

For now though since I found mobileread I have been jonesing for a reader but just can't see paying $300.00 for one. I've been using my sony clie for a reader for several years now and I think its time to move up. Guess I'll give the ebookwise a try, I just wish it wasn't so format locked.
derrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 03:17 PM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
For now though since I found mobileread I have been jonesing for a reader but just can't see paying $300.00 for one. I've been using my sony clie for a reader for several years now and I think its time to move up. Guess I'll give the ebookwise a try, I just wish it wasn't so format locked.
Which Clie do you have?

My ebook reader is a Tapwave Zodiac 2, which is a Palm OS device with a 320x480 hi-res color screen. Most of my ebboks are HTML converted to Plucker format, but I have a fair bit of Mobipocket books, plus stuff in eReader, PDF, plain text, Word and RTF format. I have to maintain five readers to handle it all, but I can read pretty much anything.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
derrell
Jack O' Apes
derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.derrell once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I have three one is a peg sj20 and the other two are peg sj22's. The sj20 is a 320x320 gray scale screen, and the sj22's are 320x320 color. I do the same thing with plucker. I convert my books with plucker then read them that way. I've tried using mobipocket but it just usually ends up crashing the clie, both models, and requiring me to do a hard reset. I'm trying the newest version of mobipocket reader now as its been a version or two since I tried it. So far no crashes.

I've looked at the Zodiacs on ebay but could never bring myself to bid on them. I've also been looking at the nokia 770 and 800. They seem like nice devices.

I thought that maybe someone had heard something about a device based on the XO's display that I might not have heard about. From what I've read about it there is a lot of potential there for very usable low cost readers with decent battery life.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:48 AM   #4
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
I just got my first Clie a few months back. It's an nx73v and I love the silly thing. Most of all I like it's hinged "A" frame build and that it can be self supporting. Plus I can operate it one handed. Luckily it supports left-hand operation because most days my right hand is not up to the task of holding much of anything.

Like you I dearly would love an ereader device. But none really offers me more over what I currently have with the Clie. Seriously other then the bigger screen and the ability to read outside (that actually is a BIG DEAL) but beyond those two things I cannot find justification for the cost of a Kindle or even a Sony 505. I actually might pop for a Sony 500 should I find one under $100.

There is just no single compelling reason for me to buy a dedicated reader. I would love an iLiad but for $700 it is nice buuuuut....next choice would be a Kindle with Sony bring up the rear and well off the pace.

I do seem to recall reading about an OLED (I am assuming you mean OLED not OLPC) display based device recently. It might have been a blurb from some CES2008 article. I just don't remember. If I can find/recall the info I'll pass it along.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #5
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

btw, you might look at the Nokia N800. It has a bunch of software and an ereader...plus if you update it to Maemo OS2008 (free) it has a pretty nice web browser. It's not OLED and it's not e-ink but it's still a nice form factor adding web browsing (but no PDA functionality built-in). But there are PDA type apps to be had free or for a pretty reasonable cost. And the N800 can be had for around $200 new.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Like you I dearly would love an ereader device. But none really offers me more over what I currently have with the Clie. Seriously other then the bigger screen and the ability to read outside (that actually is a BIG DEAL) but beyond those two things I cannot find justification for the cost of a Kindle or even a Sony 505.
You can't read the Clie outside?

I don't have the problem with the Zodiac: I can turn the backlight all the way off, and it becomes quite readable. I used to have that problem with my old Tungsten E, where I couldn't. I found out about a utility that would let me do that after I retired the E for hardware problems...

See if Energy Dimmer (freeware) helps you: http://dimmer.79bmedia.com/index.php
______
Dennis
Old 02-09-2008, 01:44 AM   #7
brecklundin
Banned

oh, heck, I never thought about turning the backlight all the way down outside...hmmmm...I will try it tomorrow! Thanks!

Am gonna go look at the dimmer software now too. But I can turn enable/disable the backlight on my device with the on/off switch. Just never considered less backlight might be better outside...d'oh!!
Old 02-09-2008, 01:50 AM   #8
brecklundin
Banned

well, I'll be a tatoo'd monkey's butt...I just turn off the backlight and put my Clie under 5 200w-equivalent full spectrum bulbs, so about 1000w total (dunno how many lumen's that is but, well, who cares)...and the darned thing is PERFECTLY READABLE....I am completely jazzed!! Thanks so much for that suggestion!

Last edited by brecklundin; 02-09-2008 at 01:52 AM.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:22 AM   #9
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
well, I'll be a tatoo'd monkey's butt...I just turn off the backlight and put my Clie under 5 200w-equivalent full spectrum bulbs, so about 1000w total (dunno how many lumen's that is but, well, who cares)...and the darned thing is PERFECTLY READABLE....I am completely jazzed!! Thanks so much for that suggestion!

You're welcome.
______
Dennis
Old 02-09-2008, 02:24 AM   #10
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
oh, heck, I never thought about turning the backlight all the way down outside...hmmmm...I will try it tomorrow! Thanks!

Am gonna go look at the dimmer software now too. But I can turn enable/disable the backlight on my device with the on/off switch. Just never considered less backlight might be better outside...d'oh!!
I suggested it for devices that won't let you turn the backlight completely off. If the Clie will do so, you probably don't need it.
______
Dennis
Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
derrell
Jack O' Apes

The display that I was asking about is the one that is used for the small laptop that is being built by the One Laptop Per Child organization, OLPC. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_s...Specifications
This low power requirement display seems like it would make a good in between option from from the normal pda type display and the high cost of the current e-ink displays.

I submitted a question to the faq at Pixel Qi http://pixelqi.com/faq but I don't think they are far enough along to start naming deals with manufacturers. Possibly by mid 08. There is also a possibility that no company is interested in producing something like this.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:39 AM   #12
derrell
Jack O' Apes

Hmmm, posted a reply and it went off to the moderator for approval. Think I might have inadvertently posted to the wrong thread.

If so humble apologies for not paying more attention to what tab I was in when I started typing the reply. If that is the case my reply is below and if this one ends up with the mods also, well then delete whichever one you deem appropriate.

The display that I was asking about is the one that is used for the small laptop that is being built by the One Laptop Per Child organization, OLPC. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Hardware_s...Specifications

It would seem that a device based around this display could be an important middle or lower end device. Something between the usual pda and the e-ink based devices.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:51 AM   #13
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
derrell: the reason for the delay in your post appearing on the forum is because it had a link in it.
With new members, if there is a link in any of their first ten posts then the post has to be approved by a moderator. Sometimes there's a delay if the mods are busy or not online. I'm sorry that your post was delayed for a bit.
We have this procedure so as to avoid spammers joining the forum merely to post spam. You would be surprised at the stuff these people try to get away with.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 11:53 AM   #14
derrell
Jack O' Apes

Not a problem Patricia. I understand completely about the spammers and the need for the moderators to check links. I should have hunted up the forum rules and read them. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:55 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by derrell View Post
This low power requirement display seems like it would make a good in between option from from the normal pda type display and the high cost of the current e-ink displays.

I submitted a question to the faq at Pixel Qi http://pixelqi.com/faq but I don't think they are far enough along to start naming deals with manufacturers. Possibly by mid 08. There is also a possibility that no company is interested in producing something like this.
I just think you are way ahead of the curve. I suspect there will be takers for this screen and it was just recently spun off from OLPC for exactly that reason but to ask for one tomorrow (or later today) is just unrealistic.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote