Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 06-05-2008, 07:21 PM   #16
ArgonZ
ArgonZ began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I've decided to try the lBook version instead of waiting for the Jinke version that should soon follow.
My first impression is that there are some new graphic efects, and the option to set and present the clock on the status bar.The page turn also feels a bit quicker, but that might be just a biased feeling.

I would be quite more impressed if it hadn't crashed while reading an FB2 after 10 page turns. I am now getting a bit tired of these random reboots and I was looking for a bit more of stability instead of new functionalities.
Does everyone experience this type of behaviour?
ArgonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:03 PM   #17
dameuna
dameuna began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
I just loaded this firmware and I could no longer read the books I was reading. I had to restore the version that I was using last (1.24-20071207). A ".doc" file that I was reading suddenly could not be accessed and it displayed an error message "bad file length". An "rtf" file I was reading suddenly had a much larger font. The page numbers were therefore way off from before. I also could not go back to the page that I was on. I tried going to pages 50, 100, 150, 200 and it would only take me back to at most page twenty something. Suddenly it just powered down when I did a "goto page". (It was fully charged).

I put back the old firmware and now everything works again.
dameuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2008, 03:46 AM   #18
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infovore View Post
Today Lbook released an updated version of its V3 firmware

Details and download (Russian, so you might want to use an online translator)

http://lbook.com.ua/ru/download/lBook%2520V3
This is regrettably devoid of any details. Anyone with a better grasp of Russian than me or the Google translator care to summarize this thread and provide an English translation of the user manual linked in the first post?

I take it that Coolreader (used for TXT, FB2, and RTF files) has been updated and now sports a bunch of new options (which ones?), that you can now read encrypted PDFs, and that the font handling has changed again (how?).

Also, did I read the third post in the thread right and the next version will bring Powerpoint (no dynamic features) and finally, the long-awaited Mobipocket support?
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:46 AM   #19
Infovore
Infovore began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3 R2
I am struggling myself with the Google translator. So unfortunately I cannot provide much detail except for the font handling which I have tested myself:

Coolreader is now able to access user fonts in both /fonts and /crengine/fonts folders in the SD card thus making a duplication of the user fonts unnecessary.

As for the manual, if someone could tell us at least if there are significant deviations from the standard user manual, this would be very much appreciated.
Infovore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:20 PM   #20
Gudy
Wizard
Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gudy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux (623)
I've struggled with the manual bit, but here's what I've come up with:
- It is possible to set the font family and font size, the page orientation, and the clock. (The clock is new, everything else was possible before, I think.)
- You can apparently set the font to use in the book shelf.
- You can invert the screen.
- You can switch kerning on/off to speed up rendering at the cost of a less pretty result.
- You can choose to have the time and/or page number displayed or hidden
- In order to read encrypted PDFs you need to provide the password or pass phrase in a file with the same name as the PDF but with the ending .PWD, which you put in the same folder as the encrypted PDF.
The addendum also describes the remaining options in the CoolReader configuration screen, which I haven't figured out yet from the manual.
Gudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2008, 02:38 PM   #21
iterati
Zealot
iterati doesn't litteriterati doesn't litter

Device: Hanlin V3, RCA REB1100, iPaq 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by torbich View Post
As the author of the CoolReader (soft used for rtf, fb2 and txt in LBook) explained, now only those fonts shown in the menu of this plugin, which contain Cyrillic characters. Others - not. I think hi changed it in a few days.

Cannot say anything about changing fonts from main bookshelf.
Hello.
Well, therefore it checks the fonts and if it doesn't find Cyrillic in them then it skips these fonts. hmmm, do you know if there are any thought to change that behaviour? I assume there is a way to edit the font and add for instance the glyphs from Verdana to Frutiger, but that is tedious. The best is to support all ttf fonts, no matter if Cyrillic fonts are available or not, I think.
Thank you.
iterati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:55 AM   #22
dottedmag
OpenInkpot co-founder
dottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-booksdottedmag has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by iterati View Post
hmmm, do you know if there are any thought to change that behaviour?
Author of CoolReader said he will fix it in the next version.
dottedmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:47 AM   #23
iterati
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dottedmag View Post
Author of CoolReader said he will fix it in the next version.
Great, thanks.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #24
torbich
Zealot
torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.torbich has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 602, LBook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
I've struggled with the manual bit, but here's what I've come up with:
The addendum also describes the remaining options in the CoolReader configuration screen, which I haven't figured out yet from the manual.
You are right. Another options are:
- enabling/disabling of font smoothing (anti aliasing)
- Footnotes at the bottom of page (on/off)
and "Document styles", what is it - I don't know.
torbich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 AM   #25
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I own a BeBook (rebranded Hanlin V3). If I install Hanlin- or lBook eReader firmware, will the startup- and shutdown-logos change?
Also, is it possible to somehow make a backup of the current firmware so it can be easily restored? (BeBook does not offer the firmware for download on their website (yet))

Last edited by AlfonsVH; 06-23-2008 at 09:42 AM.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:04 AM   #26
iterati
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
I own a BeBook (rebranded Hanlin V3). If I install Hanlin- or IBook eReader firmware, will the startup- and shutdown-logos change?
Also, is it possible to somehow make a backup of the current firmware so it can be easily restored? (BeBook does not offer the firmware for download on their website (yet))
The logos change but you can find an application and instructions at jinke side to make & install your own logos.
As for the firmware I don't know of a way to backup the existing one...
Old 06-18-2008, 03:09 PM   #27
polyfimos
polyfimos began at the beginning.

Device: Lbook V3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH;
I own a BeBook (rebranded Hanlin V3). If I install Hanlin- or IBook eReader firmware, will the startup- and shutdown-logos change?
Check this thread for instructions on how to change the startup and shut down images:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17811

Lbook site provides the two latest firmwares for Lbook V3 (In its russian page of download V3 update). So far, I 've never had a problem with an update from neither Lbook or Jinke site.

PS. Geia sou Iterati happy to see another happy greek owner of V3
polyfimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:20 PM   #28
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by polyfimos View Post
Check this thread for instructions on how to change the startup and shut down images:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17811
Thank you. The "problem" is that I'd like to use the same startup- and shutdown-images as before (i.e. the BeBook ones) but I don't know where to find them. Is it possible to extract them from the current firmware somehow, or to extract the current firmware as a whole?

Thanks!
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:16 AM   #29
iterati
Zealot

I suppose you can find the images somewhere, what is so special anyway? And also I don't think the firmware is much different and providing bebook doesn't offer and update isn't bad idea to update to lbook or hanlin firmware and take advantage of support for new formats, bug fixes etc.

Geia polyfimos.
Old 06-20-2008, 02:22 PM   #30
Infovore
Infovore began at the beginning.

Device: HanLin V3 R2
Just noticed that lBook has released an updated version of their firmware

http://www.lbook.org/downloads/v3upd...6-20080619.zip

Apparently the main changes are:

PDF parser updated to version: V1.20.080619
Bookshelf updated to version: V1.20.0800529

I haven't tested it yet and can't provide further details since my Russian is almost non-existent.
Infovore is offline   Reply With Quote