Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 AM   #1
friflaj
friflaj began at the beginning.

Device: Irex 1000S
reader won't boot

My dr1000 won't boot up. I'm sure the battery is fully charged (I let it charge overnight, and when I used it this morning the battery icon said so), but doesn't react to holding the on button. Reset doesn't do anything. Is this a known problem with a known solution?
friflaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000s, Hanlin V5
It doesn't sound like anything I'm familiar with. My best bet would still be to try to charge it for a while.
rvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #3
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Yes, despite your best efforts, charging has been an ongoing issue. It is difficult to find any pattern to when it occurs.

Plug into a wall charger and wait (at least 10mins). It will then start up and charge itself again.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
friflaj

That sound like a fairly critical flaw to me. I take my ereader on the train so I can study. There're no outlets on the train, so if this happens often it will usually catch me when I need it most and when I can do nothing about it. I just bought the ereader, so if this is a structural problem it must go back.
Old 09-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
plisken
Enthusiast
plisken began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000S
@friflaj, in such case it will happen to every electrical device.

The only problem with DR1000 is it doesn't work in pass-through mode, but when there are no outlets, not matter what mode is, you won't get any juice anyway.
plisken is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #6
friflaj

@plisken, the reader was fully charged when I shut it down and tried to start it up again. That's different from any other device. I referred to the outlet because @pthwaite said it might make a difference, but it looks like not even that.

So in essence, it can randomly decide to not boot up, and that is then game over, whether you charged it before or not, and whether you try and charge it later. It's been on the charger for an hour and a half, and still nothing. I don't know of any other device where that would be seen as normal, but certainly not for something that's supposed to replace a book.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #7
rvs
Groupie
rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rvs has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

There's a known bug in the reader, where it won't shutdown properly and so keeps draining down the battery (without the user being aware) until there's almost zero charge left. I've had this happen about 4 times in one year.

But this draining should take some time, I'd estimate at a minimum 2 to 3 hours (if it runs at maximum cpu load), but probably more like 8 hours. How much time was there between when you shut it down and then tried to start it again?

And have you used the reset button before and did it work then?
Old 09-20-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
friflaj

2 hours, possible, 3 hours, no. I've tried the reset before and I don't think it helped although at some point it did boot up suddenly. This was somewhere last week. Please don't say the lack of a bypass means it's a doorstop now.

If it does boot again at some point, shouldn't an app shortcut to /sbin/halt force a proper shutdown?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 PM   #9
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by friflaj View Post
2 hours, possible, 3 hours, no. I've tried the reset before and I don't think it helped although at some point it did boot up suddenly. This was somewhere last week. Please don't say the lack of a bypass means it's a doorstop now.
That sounds too short to be caused by the bug I described. Is the top LED turned on or off during charging?

Quote:
If it does boot again at some point, shouldn't an app shortcut to /sbin/halt force a proper shutdown?
I have no idea if this would bypass the bug, but I wouldn't call that a proper shutdown, because your settings etc. won't be saved.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:30 PM   #10
friflaj

The led is off. What settings would not be saved? I don't expect to change the settings very frequently.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:42 AM   #11
rvs
Groupie

Quote:
The led is off. What settings would not be saved? I don't expect to change the settings very frequently.
The reader settings and any changes to documents you still have open while shutting down.

But in your case I think it's more likely to be a hardware failure, probably the battery. I'm no expert on this though.
Old 09-21-2011, 04:57 AM   #12
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
The led is off.
This is strange, I expect the led to be orange when charging (or red when charging an empty battery). Did you try charging it from USB, there are some wall-chargers that do not give enough current for the DR to charge correctly.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
You can set the LED to always off though as I remember in the settings.
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 03:56 PM   #14
friflaj

I'm charging it with the charger that came with the package. It's been on the charger for a full day, nothing. The shop is sending me a new one.

I did see a setting for the leds, but they seemed to pertain the small leds on the touch buttons, not the top led. From the one day I did get to use it I figured the top led show charge status (color) and activity (blink).