Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 AM   #1
RobbieT
From Holland
RobbieT began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question [301]Fast on/off?

My girlfriend is looking for the Pocketbook 301. One important feature for her is that it should have a fast on/off switch.

So that if she is reading and she wants to stop, she just can press the on/off button and the device will go to a standby mode. At the moment she wants to continue reading again, she can press the button and the device will return to the correct page in seconds, Instead of powering up for 20 seconds and returning in the main menu.

Can anyone tell me if the pocketbook has this feature?
RobbieT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieT View Post
... she just can press the on/off button and the device will go to a standby mode. At the moment she wants to continue reading again, she can press the button and the device will return to the correct page in seconds, ...
Can anyone tell me if the pocketbook has this feature?
Yes it does have that feature.
It is called the "button lock" mode.
You can even set a time period after which the device will lock the keyboard if you do not use it.

You can configure PocketBook to go to the main menu when switched on, or go directly to the book you were reading when you switched it off.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
I know only about 360 but I assume 301 works same.

Because e-ink screens use power only when changing text there is really no need to turn the device off. All I do is lock keyboard when I stop reading. Then I can instantly continue reading whenever.

If I actually turn device off booting takes about 10 seconds but in addition opening book takes time. Usually opening book takes 10-30 seconds for me depending book but it is possible for it to take even longer. So for someone who wants easily continue reading it is best to never switch it off.
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
Schnitzelbrain
Groupie
Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Schnitzelbrain once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux
U can also set the "Power Off" image to screenshot. Then , during Power off the last Page is viewed as a screenshot. Together with the direct to Book booting, u can switch the Power totally off and switching on will take u right to the last book (last opened page). During the booting process the last Page is viewed as a screenshoot and u can already read while booting.
Schnitzelbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:01 PM   #5
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzelbrain View Post
U can also set the "Power Off" image to screenshot. Then , during Power off the last Page is viewed as a screenshot. Together with the direct to Book booting, u can switch the Power totally off and switching on will take u right to the last book (last opened page). During the booting process the last Page is viewed as a screenshoot and u can already read while booting.
There is an error in the above statement.
You have to set "Boot logo" to "current page"

Holly $DEITY!

Why nobody told me about that feature sooner?
When did Guys In Kiew (I LOVE YOU guys!) add that feature?
Why wasn't it mentioned in the list of features the 15.2 firmware brought?

This way I get to keep my cake and eat it at the same time!
At the time I received my PocketBook 360 my biggest complaint was that it took much longer to start reading after switching it on than on my "good old, mildly obsolete, feature limited Sony PRS-500". Now I simply turn the page before switching the device off, and when I switch it on I can read the page until the book is loaded in background.

AWESOME!
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 05:06 AM   #6
RobbieT
From Holland
RobbieT began at the beginning.

Device: None
Well, I've asked the same question in the Cybook topic. There is a new firmware that supports this feature. So my girlfriend ordered the cybook gen 3 yesterday. Thank you all for your answers.
RobbieT is offline   Reply With Quote