Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 08-09-2007, 05:16 AM   #1
Honza
Honza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
XML Hack for Locking 0-9 Keys?

Does anybody have an idea how to make a simple keyboard lock function? My problem is that I accidentally (and often) press 0-9 buttons while I carry Reader switched on. Then I need to navigate through the history to find the place in the book where I stopped reading.

My idea is to press "0" for 5 seconds, and all 0-9 keys will be locked (other keys can be locked as well, but it's not so crucial).
And again, press and hold "0" to unlock.

Can this be done in XML hack?

PS: I just realized I don't use 0-9 keys while reading at all, so just disabling them at all would satisfy me as well

Last edited by Honza; 08-09-2007 at 07:01 AM.
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 05:39 AM   #2
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
This may sound like a stupid question to you, but why don't you just turn your Reader off?

The "boot"-time from standby to "ready to read" is like 2-3 seconds.
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 06:54 AM   #3
Honza
Honza began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Well, I'm just not used to switch off any device when I know I will use it in a few minutes again. But you are right, it's not "power-off" in this case.

It's just psychological: when you open a book (paper), it's already in "ready to read" And I still read paper-made books from time to time..
Honza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 AM   #4
MacBeezle
Zealot
MacBeezle began at the beginning.

Device: Apple iPhone 4, Apple iPad, Sony Reader PRS-500U2. Soon: Kindle 4
hehe^^

Well .. I think mapping the Button to "null" (or something like that) should do the trick.
MacBeezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:06 AM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBeezle View Post
hehe^^

Well .. I think mapping the Button to "null" (or something like that) should do the trick.
I think that sounds like a good idea. If you don't use the mp3 player, then one "null" possibility is to map buttons you don't want to use to do volume up or down action.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:35 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you mapped put the number buttons, would you then not be able to use them to navigate the menues?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #7
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You could still use the up/down joystick to navigate them. Just depends on what he prefers.

I think the idea is that he is more annoyed with the accidental pressing of number buttons (I do it too) than he is concerned about menu navigation being easy.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was annoyed at accidentally pressing the number buttons as well when I moved from the joystick history to page turns. Now that the silver button is history, it's not a big deal. I do use the number buttons to navigate the menus. So without them, I'd be annoyed with the joystick.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 11:40 AM   #9
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Yep, I need the buttons myself for easy menu navigation. At first when I got the Reader I used the joystick because the buttons were on the bottom and the rows "point" to the side. Plus, I kept trying to touch menu options like a touchscreen!

But after a while I got used to the numbers and love them. If only we could go to a page by pressing number buttons!

At any rate, I still hit a number button sometimes when I am handling the Reader. That's the main reason I still need history navigation available to me.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
If you mapped put the number buttons, would you then not be able to use them to navigate the menues?
I think it's possible to do it in a way that they don't work inside a book but keeps working in the menu navigation.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 09:31 PM   #11
KaiGoth
Enthusiast
KaiGoth began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS500 & PRS700
Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL View Post
I think it's possible to do it in a way that they don't work inside a book but keeps working in the menu navigation.
I would LOVE that myself. I use to get up and take my book to go outside and have a cigarette, every time I had to use history to find my spot. Quit smoking 20 days ago so it happens a lot less, but still happens.
KaiGoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiGoth View Post
I would LOVE that myself. I use to get up and take my book to go outside and have a cigarette, every time I had to use history to find my spot. Quit smoking 20 days ago so it happens a lot less, but still happens.
I will take a look later. Do you use any other hack besides the clock that needs to be inside?
Old 08-10-2007, 02:46 AM   #13
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

The attached main.xml will disable the 0-9 keys only when reading a book and keeps the menu navigation working. This and the clock are the only hacks inside this file. If you are using the joystick hack you won't loose it because it's in the application.xml file.

Please let me know if it's ok.

Of course the whole: "use at your own risk applies here".
Attached Files
File Type: xml main.xml (38.4 KB, 622 views)

Last edited by diabloNL; 08-10-2007 at 02:50 AM.