Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #46
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Really? Can you educate us on what screens the Fire and A1 have. Also what processor both have, pls include the speeds.

=X=
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #47
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I love that emoticon. Definitely conveys the feeling.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #48
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Really? Can you educate us on what screens the Fire and A1 have. Also what processor both have, pls include the speeds.

=X=
The information is easily available. Do your own research, like I did. Or don't, and call me an internet quack.

I'm not interested in educating you on the benefits of dual-core vs single, or an IPS lcd vs non-IPS.

Particularly when you're snarky about it.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #49
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
The information is easily available. Do your own research, like I did. Or don't, and call me an internet quack.

I'm not interested in educating you on the benefits of dual-core vs single, or an IPS lcd vs non-IPS.

Particularly when you're snarky about it.
*my turn*
Old 10-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #50
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
*my turn*
lol
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #51
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweminence View Post
Fair enough, but you should be interested in educating yourself since you are obviously misinformed.

Both devices have IPS.

Also a single core process is far more efficient than a dual core. As in 1 GHZ processor will give you better performance than two 500MHz processors. Until you now the speed of the Fire you can't assume it's better.

The only reason you took my reply as "snark" is because you knew you where speaking out of ignorance. How about instead of throwing insults, you take the time to educate yourself before you speak.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #52
SCION
Séduisant

Old 10-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #53
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Well, I'm willing to share what I've been able to find regarding the Fire and Lenovo A1 screen and processor...

Kindle Fire:

Screen: 7" anti-reflective multi-touch display with IPS (in-plane switching=wider viewing angle), 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi
Processor: 1GHz dual-core TI OMAP SoC

Lenovo IdeaPad A1:

Screen: 7" glare multi-touch display (with IPS?)*, 1024 x 600 pixel resolution at 170 ppi
Processor: 1GHz single-core TI OMAP 3622 Cortex A8 SoC

Other points relevant for comparison are the Lenovo A1 has Bluetooth, GPS, two cameras, and microSD card reader; the Kindle Fire has none of those features. They both run Android 2.3 (Gingerbread). The Fire comes with 8GB onboard memory (6GB available for user content), but Amazon content can be stored on the Cloud (to retrieve you'll need wifi access). There is a Lenovo A1 model with up to 16GB onboard storage, plus it has a microSD card reader. It does look like Lenovo is going to be priced higher than the Fire, with the 16GB model probably at $249, while the Kindle Fire is $199.

* A Google search reveals that the Lenovo A1 has an IPS display, but I haven't seen that information confirmed on Lenovo's website.

Last edited by DreamWriter; 10-14-2011 at 02:10 PM.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #54
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Fair enough, but you should be interested in educating yourself since you are obviously misinformed.

Both devices have IPS.

Also a single core process is far more efficient than a dual core. As in 1 GHZ processor will give you better performance than two 500MHz processors. Until you now the speed of the Fire you can't assume it's better.

The only reason you took my reply as "snark" is because you knew you where speaking out of ignorance. How about instead of throwing insults, you take the time to educate yourself before you speak.

=X=
I concur.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:12 PM   #55
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
@ DreamWriter great post thx. There web site does not list IPS nor microSD. But they have released those specs to the public and their demos have that hardware included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Sorry Scion the fun over, move along now .
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #56
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:

Sorry Scion the fun over, move along now .
ok
Old 10-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #57
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
Quote:
@ DreamWriter great post thx. There web site does not list IPS nor microSD.
The Lenovo A1 product page that they took down within the last few days did not mention the microSD (which I thought was odd!), but their new page does: http://www.lenovo.com/products/us/tablet/ideapad/a1. I would think that they would tout IPS in the specs, but I see no mention of that there.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 02:42 PM   #58
gweminence
Fat Guy

That's because its NOT an ips screen. But let's not let facts get in the way of his delusions. I mean seriously, the guy thinks a single core is better than multiple ones. Of course, nearly every device maker on the planet disagrees with him, but we'll leave him the comfort of his misconceptions.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #59
emilikins
Short One in the Stacks
emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.emilikins can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: HTC Flyer; Kobo WiFi
I don't think the argument should be are multiple cores better than one. If you're only doing some web surfing, some YouTube, and e-reading on a tablet, with some lightweight games, a single core processor works just fine. Basically, the casual user probably isn't going to miss extra cores. I've seen people get swotty about multiple cores lately, which might make tablet novices feel pressured into feeling like they have to get multi-core because some tech guy on a forum or blog said so.

Other people on here have been quite sensible with the argument: What is it you want from your tablet? A1 and Fire are comparable in several aspects. If you want Market, Netflix, and basically an open ecosystem and a good screen at a budget price, then the A1 is great (yes it has the SD card). If you want cheaper and don't mind being tied to and tracked by Amazon, then get the Fire. If you want the Fire and are comfortable trying to hack it, then good for you.

Someone mentioned Coby:I don't want a Kindle or Amazon tie-in. I've had a Coby 7024 before I had internal memory failure. I got it for $161, and I liked it for the most part. Side-loaded Market and it worked for a little bit before getting buggy. I didn't have too much trouble with the resistive screen, and ereading was okay in it (PDFs in 7inchers do not display well). It ran Froyo. Aside from the self destructing memory, I discovered that you need a good resolution to really enjoy ereading on an LCD. I'm now reading books on my work tablet (Galaxy) and it's a lovely ereading experience, for me as easy as e-Ink if not better, but the 10.1 inch tablet isn't as comfortable as the 7-inch.

I decided to replace it with the A1, even though I had to increase my budget. However, Tuesday night I convinced a Coby rep to sell me the 16GB for the 2GB price. :-D After I pestered him with questions. I'm banking some of my money on Lenovo's quality in general. We have ancient Thinkpads still chugging, they're just too outspec'd to be of any real use.
emilikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #60
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilikins View Post
Someone mentioned Coby:I don't want a Kindle or Amazon tie-in. I've had a Coby 7024 before I had internal memory failure. I got it for $161, and I liked it for the most part. Side-loaded Market and it worked for a little bit before getting buggy. I didn't have too much trouble with the resistive screen, and ereading was okay in it (PDFs in 7inchers do not display well). It ran Froyo. Aside from the self destructing memory, I discovered that you need a good resolution to really enjoy ereading on an LCD. I'm now reading books on my work tablet (Galaxy) and it's a lovely ereading experience, for me as easy as e-Ink if not better, but the 10.1 inch tablet isn't as comfortable as the 7-inch.

I decided to replace it with the A1, even though I had to increase my budget. However, Tuesday night I convinced a Coby rep to sell me the 16GB for the 2GB price. :-D After I pestered him with questions. I'm banking some of my money on Lenovo's quality in general. We have ancient Thinkpads still chugging, they're just too outspec'd to be of any real use.
So would you say Coby is a good brand for a tablet? I know around here Coby's other stuff like mp3 player, radios and such is junk. You are the second person I heard mention the brand. I just want a tablet for reading in bed nothing fancy.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-14-2011 at 05:06 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote