Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 08:33 PM   #31
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I've never really needed folders on my Kindle. I just don't keep that many books on it. The people that do want them are very vocal, though.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 PM   #32
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I do miss having the collections I had when I was using a 505 (even if they're not quite full fledged folders), but it hasn't been the end of the world. There have been rumors about some type of folders/organization coming to the Kindle, but AFAIK they're just unsubstantiated rumors and wishful thinking so far.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 09:04 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I'll add one more too... the Jetbook...

So Lets see...

BeBook
EZ Reader
EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Jetbook
Opus

All have folder. I think the iLiad and DR1000 do too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:15 AM   #34
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I don't know, from what I'm seeing so far I don't think that the new Sony device would qualify as much more than a dying quail of a single.
I'm afraid you are looking at thing through Kindle-colored glasses (whatever color that is!) - I didn't say Sony won the game or even hit a grand slam.

I firmly believe the general book reading population would prefer a device that can buys books at the touch of a button and can borrow books from the library easily and be able to turn pages with a flick on the screen.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #35
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow_hand View Post
I'm afraid you are looking at thing through Kindle-colored glasses (whatever color that is!) - I didn't say Sony won the game or even hit a grand slam.

I firmly believe the general book reading population would prefer a device that can buys books at the touch of a button and can borrow books from the library easily and be able to turn pages with a flick on the screen.
Perhaps you are correct about the touch screen, but I don't particularly like the idea of sacrificing crispness and clarity of what I'm reading for the novelty of a touch screen.

Also, we'll see how quick libraries are to adopt this technology, I don't see it happening very quickly with the economy in it's current state. Non-profits are cutting their budgets to the bone and I don't expect Adobe to give away this technology or the publishers to give much by way of help either.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 08:08 AM   #36
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I don't understand this way of thinking, why is it so important to have a clear winner...I don't think its Sony vs Kindle anymore. There are so many readers entering the market. I seriously doubt Kindle is gonna own this market in the long run, Sony either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Well, IMHO, Sony fell way short of a Kindle DX challenger. Its limited 3G still leaves readers requiring a PC, as does the Library Finder software, etc. (Although igorsk is probably hacking on this even as I write). PDF support is still questionable. And, launching only a touch screen model, with known issues in decreased contrast/readability, won't challenge the DX screen.

Plus, the late arrival at Xmas misses the text book market.

The DX is far from perfect, but the Sony Daily Reader seems to be a hurried attempt to get something/anything on the market before year end to keep their foot in the door.
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:13 AM   #37
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I will buy the first reader that comes out with folders. I will convert all of my books to read on that device, and will never look back. Whether it is Sony or Amazon, fully functional folders is the game for this anal tax lawyer.
So what's stopping you? The CyBook Opus has folders; the BeBook (and clones) have folders; the iRex iLiad and DR1000 have folders, etc. etc. Sony and Amazon are not all that exist, you know .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #38
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
My problem is really simple. I am old and my eyes are not the greatest. The Dx is perfect because I can use a larger font and read some without having to change pages as often. The browser is mediocre at best, but it's there in an emergency. Major problem: I can't read library loaners on it. Shear Madness on the part of Amazon.

The Sony 505 is nice and well designed. It is easier to carry arround but the major plus is that I can have a legally borrowed ebook, read it in a week, and return it. It just strikes me a huge savings. I'm not sure why, but the idea of making a contibution to my library which will keep circulating ebooks, compared with Amazon taking the fee and the book sitting on one of my devices in a software limbo for 10 years until I decide, maybe, to read it again, is greatly appealing to me. I am perhaps biased because my daughter and ex are both Librarians, a fact of which I am very proud.

Sadly, running Python and scripts is beyond my kin. My only choice is to wait for the Sony Daily to read library ebooks with greater comfort. I will not sell my DX when the Daily shows up. I will just hope and pray that Amazon sees the light which will lead to the sale of many more Kindles but far fewer ebooks.

Last edited by advocate2; 08-30-2009 at 08:49 PM.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:00 PM   #39
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connallmac View Post
I don't know, from what I'm seeing so far I don't think that the new Sony device would qualify as much more than a dying quail of a single.
Don't discredit the public's demand for lower costs. The Sony Pocket Edition being a full $100 less than a Kindle is going to make a big difference to many consumers. Add in that it can handle library books and a lot of casual readers will be motivated to buy.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:06 PM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
Sadly, running Python and scripts is beyond my kin.
If you can type you can run a python script. Just because you might not know how to do it this second doesn't mean it is beyond you.

BOb
Old 08-31-2009, 07:09 PM   #41
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
Don't discredit the public's demand for lower costs. The Sony Pocket Edition being a full $100 less than a Kindle is going to make a big difference to many consumers. Add in that it can handle library books and a lot of casual readers will be motivated to buy.
The $100 difference isn't very much when set against the connectivity of the Kindle. Both being able to shop the Kindle store and download books wirelessly, as well as that internet connection. That gives so much more functionality! Especially when I'm sitting in the airport or the doctor's office and finish a book, or discover that the one I'm reading is a real stinker.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:23 PM   #42
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
The engineers at Amazon are clearly Sadistic maniacs having a huge laugh...

"They all want folders and we could do it in a day of hammering out code but lets not do it just to make em madder! LOL!!"
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:41 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So what's stopping you? The CyBook Opus has folders; the BeBook (and clones) have folders; the iRex iLiad and DR1000 have folders, etc. etc. Sony and Amazon are not all that exist, you know .
Until iRex has ePub support that works well, they are a no go. The BeBook and clones are a no go until they are verified to have a proper ADE implementation that handles internal links. The V5 7 Pocket PRO are a no go unless they have a working ADE that supports internal hyperlinks for epub. The Cool-er is a no go as it crashes too much and the button is too stiff. All Kindles are a no go because they do not support ePub. So as I see it, if you don't mind a 5" screen there is the Sony PRS-300 & the Opus. But as far as 6" screens go, the only choices you have is to find a Sony PRS-505 or get a PRS-600.

In summary, there's not much to go with for the moment due to poor software or non existent software.

Last edited by JSWolf; 09-01-2009 at 10:47 PM.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 11:40 PM   #44
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In summary, there's not much to go with for the moment due to poor software or non existent software.
Let's clarify that for everyone here by adding "in your opinion" to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Until iRex has ePub support that works well, they are a no go. The BeBook and clones are a no go until they are verified to have a proper ADE implementation that handles internal links. The V5 7 Pocket PRO are a no go unless they have a working ADE that supports internal hyperlinks for epub. The Cool-er is a no go as it crashes too much and the button is too stiff. All Kindles are a no go because they do not support ePub. So as I see it, if you don't mind a 5" screen there is the Sony PRS-300 & the Opus. But as far as 6" screens go, the only choices you have is to find a Sony PRS-505 or get a PRS-600.
You talk about such minor issues that really aren't show stoppers to many people.

So, ADE doesn't support hyperlinks inside a book. Ok, I read most books front to back.

The Cool-er crashes too much. Ok, today... but perhaps a firmware upgrade can fix that. I don't know. Many reviewers I have seen don't have a problem with the button. Some do.

Kindles don't support ePub. Erm... so what? NO dedicated eBook readers supported ePub until just recently. It is only since the Opus and the Sony came out that there were readers that did. (Or perhaps I am wrong, perhaps the Jetbook was the first to deliver ePub support. I know you also don't like that device.) I can still get pretty much any ebook I want for the Kindle in the Kindle format.

Then you mention the Opus is one to get, where on other threads you trash it because it crashes also. Doesn't that put it in the same league with the Cool-er?

I'm glad you are clear on what will work for you. But, to just tell someone that the ONLY 6inch readers worth getting are the Sony's...

Personally, I think the CyBook, Kindle, EZ Reader, Sony are all solid viable devices with very few differences. For what they are designed for, which is reading fiction ebooks any one will work fine. I actually would say they all have more in common than they have differences.

BOb
Old 09-03-2009, 05:47 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, ADE doesn't support hyperlinks inside a book. Ok, I read most books front to back.
This is not an "ADE" issue; it's an issue for ePub books with some specific implementions of ADE (those on Jinke devices). Most ADE implementations support ePub hyperlinks just fine.

Quote:
Personally, I think the CyBook, Kindle, EZ Reader, Sony are all solid viable devices with very few differences. For what they are designed for, which is reading fiction ebooks any one will work fine. I actually would say they all have more in common than they have differences.
Completely agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote