Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #196
MaxStirner
Connoisseur
MaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kindle Touch, Paperwhite
I've been using Koreader extensively for the last two months or so and have some observations:
- If the Table of Contents is longer than one page I'm in no way able to go to the next page. Swipe up or down does not work, the same goes for font changing. I have alternative fonts but If the font is few pages down the list (eg my favourite Ubuntu font) there is no way to select it. Don't know if this is a bug or am I doing something wrong?
- What about the idea of back and forth button (as in the standart mobi reader) - last time I was reading a pdf densely packed with annotations at the very end of document but since endnotes in the pdf file didn't worked I was forced to constantly manually shift beetwen the text and the endnotes which was a nightmare. Temporary solution was to add bookmarks to the text and to the endnotes, but this is ineffective since you have to add new bookmarks every few pages as you progress in reading.
- A few days ago strange thing happened - was reading a pdf book and it crashed so I restarted the device. After restart the book opened up on the very spot it crashed and after a minute crashed again. And again and again. Only after I plugged Kindle to my laptop and deleted the LUA for that particular book was I able to open it again. So I was thinking - maybe it would be good to have an option to delete the lua settings file from within the Koreader itself?
- I have quite a large number of files which is now hard to tap on the file manager. I often end up opening the wrong file. Maybe adding some separate lines or spaces beetwen the files could help a little?

Last edited by MaxStirner; 07-05-2013 at 04:21 PM.
MaxStirner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #197
pepe_alter_ego
Zealot
pepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animalspepe_alter_ego is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92, Kindle Paperwhite 1 (Wi-Fi)
If you report problems, you should probably report the exact version of the KOReader that you use, your device type and the version of its firmware.
pepe_alter_ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM   #198
MaxStirner
Connoisseur
MaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic somethingMaxStirner has a certain pleonastic something

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe_alter_ego View Post
If you report problems, you should probably report the exact version of the KOReader that you use, your device type and the version of its firmware.
Sorry I forgot about this - latest nightly (20130703) 5.3.6 Paperwhite

Last edited by MaxStirner; 07-05-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-05-2013, 05:40 PM   #199
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxStirner View Post
Sorry I forgot about this - latest nightly (20130703) 5.3.6 Paperwhite
Which version where you using when the "a few days ago..." crash happened?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:13 PM   #200
MaxStirner
Connoisseur

It was 2 days ago so either the latest or 0630 - I always try to use the most recent, but I'm not a hundred percent sure which of the two. I remember the crash happened while trying to decrease the "boldface" of a scanned reflowed pdf from "darkest" to a lighter one.
This pdf was relatively big about 30 megabytes in size - but it worked well until that moment.

EDIT: Another peculiarity - Koreader appears to have encoding problems. I'm reading now a mobi biography of Himmler. The base text is in English but as you might expect it is full of German proper names. The only font I was able to test in both standard reader and Koreader was Baskerville and Futura. Both work perfectly in the standard Kindle reader - when the same text is opened in Koreader both fonts show question marks and Chinese symbols in place of a German umlaut.

Last edited by MaxStirner; 07-05-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Advert
Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #201
corrin18
corrin18 can extract oil from cheesecorrin18 can extract oil from cheesecorrin18 can extract oil from cheesecorrin18 can extract oil from cheesecorrin18 can extract oil from cheesecorrin18 can extract oil from cheesecorrin18 can extract oil from cheesecorrin18 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
just pdfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy1989 View Post
Is there any way to add a filter with the File Manager?
I have too many books,
but I just want to view the 'pdf' documents with koreader.
For Koreader FileManager to just show pdf files:

with a text editor, manually edit filechooser.lua

(you'll find that here: \koreader\frontend\ui\widget\)

so that the following line (roughly at line 21):

Code:
if self.show_hidden or not string.match(f, "^%.[^.]") then
is changed to

Code:
if string.match(f, "%.pdf") then
corrin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:16 PM   #202
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrin18 View Post
thanks.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #203
fil9998
Enthusiast
fil9998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
after last upgrade KOreader crashes when reading a pdf in semi-auto page
I use two fingers slide up and down to increase/decrease brightness.
fil9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #204
fil9998
Enthusiast
fil9998 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by corrin18 View Post

with a text editor, manually edit filechooser.lua

(you'll find that here: \koreader\frontend\ui\widget\)

so that the following line (roughly at line 21):

Code:
if self.show_hidden or not string.match(f, "^%.[^.]") then
is changed to

Code:
if string.match(f, "%.pdf") then

thanks.

is there the possibility to improve this choice in a graphic way on "settings".
also for .*epub along with *.pdf ?

thanks
fil9998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #205
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil9998 View Post
also for .*epub along with *.pdf ?
Did you try this:
Code:
if string.match(f, "%.pdf") or string.match(f, "%.epub") then

Last edited by thomass; 07-17-2013 at 09:17 AM.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:29 AM   #206
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil9998 View Post
after last upgrade KOreader crashes when reading a pdf in semi-auto page
I use two fingers slide up and down to increase/decrease brightness.
Does it also crash when you only use one finger?

If NO then use only one finger.
If YES then try using your middle finger only.
(It will probably still crash, but a great tension reliever.)
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:47 AM   #207
mmjoshi
Connoisseur
mmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Did you try this:
Code:
if string.match(f, "%.pdf") or string.match(f, "%.epub") then
This works perfectly when the pdf files are in the documents folder. However, when I add pdf files through Calibre, they typically get added in a subdirectory. In that case this code does not work. Can this code be modified for such an scenario? Ideally I would like to put all my pdf, epub, djvu files in a single folder say "Non Kindle Formats" from where KOReader can pick them up.

I use a Kindle Touch.

mj
mmjoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:54 AM   #208
chrox
Zealot
chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 KPW PB840
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjoshi View Post
This works perfectly when the pdf files are in the documents folder. However, when I add pdf files through Calibre, they typically get added in a subdirectory. In that case this code does not work. Can this code be modified for such an scenario? Ideally I would like to put all my pdf, epub, djvu files in a single folder say "Non Kindle Formats" from where KOReader can pick them up.

I use a Kindle Touch.

mj
How about changing this in koreader/reader.lua at around line 164:
Code:
file_filter = function(filename)
	if DocumentRegistry:getProvider(filename) then
		return true
	end
end
into this:
Code:
	if filename:match("%.pdf$") or filename:match("%.epub$") 
	  or filename:match("%.djvu$") then
		return true
	end
end

Last edited by chrox; 07-20-2013 at 07:58 AM.
chrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:55 AM   #209
mmjoshi
Connoisseur
mmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchforkmmjoshi can load mercury with a pitchfork

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrox View Post
How about changing this in koreader/reader.lua at around line 164:
Code:
	if DocumentRegistry:getProvider(filename) then
		return true
	end
end
into this:
Code:
	if filename:match("%.pdf$") or filename:match("%.epub$") 
	  or filename:match("%.djvu$") then
		return true
	end
end
This did not work for me. I just get a blank directory in the KOReader file manager. I am assuming I have to make this change in addition to the change to be made to the filechooser.lua

Am I missing something?

mj
Old 07-21-2013, 05:07 AM   #210
mmjoshi
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmjoshi View Post
This did not work for me. I just get a blank directory in the KOReader file manager. I am assuming I have to make this change in addition to the change to be made to the filechooser.lua

Am I missing something?

mj
Just to add to my last post. This works for pd files in the documents directory. However if the same files along with some other files (ePUB, djvu or pdf) are kept in a subdrectory I get the blank directory structure in the KOReader file manager.

mj

Tags
application, k5 tools, kindle, koreader, launcher add-ons, lua, reader, touch