Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
misctalk
misctalk began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy tab2 7" t3113
international users - google play in Nook HD

I live outside US & am interested in the recent sale of Nook HD & Nook HD+, which is currently being extended for a limited period.

For those who are using their Nooks outside USA or UK and have not rooted their tablets:

1) Have you received the firmware update that allows the installation of Google Play?
2) If you have installed Google Play via firmware update, do you have problems intalling new apps?

For those that have just recently purchase their Nooks thru the Father's sale, are the tablets on sale already pre-installed with Google Play or do you still have to go through firmware update?

Thanks.
misctalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'm in the UK and I just bought the Nook HD. We have a UK store so my experience may be different to anyone outside the UK or US but my HD did the firmware update immediately it connected to wifi
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #3
lioslaith
Zealot
lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lioslaith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505, Kindle, Kobo Vox/Glo, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm in the UK and I just bought the Nook HD. We have a UK store so my experience may be different to anyone outside the UK or US but my HD did the firmware update immediately it connected to wifi
I'm in the UK too and as soon as my Nook HD connected to wifi it downloaded the software update which installs/uses Google Play.

I have downloaded both free and bought apps I already had in my Play account to my Nook HD without any bother at all.

So personally I have had no problems with the update and can install/use apps from the Google Play Store alright.

The only problem you will find which throws up a notification to the user is if you have a newer version of an app on Google than you have on the Nook HD from Barnes and Noble. I got this on a couple of apps that came pre-installed, a newer version was available from Google than B&N had. But I went ahead and let it be replaced to stop me being told this every time the Nook synced. It replaces the older Nook app with the newer Google one but tells you that the Nook one can be re-downloaded at any time from Nook.

No actual problems to report from my own experiences. Also I haven't rooted my Nook HD either. I love it to be honest. I bought my Nook just at the beginning of May via the sale here and the update came via wifi not pre-installed. But my experiences with both tablets and eReaders is that they never come up to date so to speak and firmware updates upon wifi connection of the device itself.

Last edited by lioslaith; 06-18-2013 at 12:08 PM.
lioslaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 AM   #4
misctalk
misctalk began at the beginning.

Device: samsung galaxy tab2 7" t3113
How about other parts of the world that do not have a Nook store, especially Asia? Have you received firmware update notification & do you problems in downloading apps from Google Play? Thanks.
misctalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 AM   #5
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Even if the Nook does not automatically download the update you should still be able to update it manually.
Quote:
Connect your NOOK to your computer using the USB cable that came with your device. A new, removable drive, named BNTV400, should show up in My Computer. Open the drive BNTV400, and then open the Internal Storage folder within the drive. drag and drop the downloaded file onto the main directory of the Internal Storage folder. Do NOT open or unzip the file. You should not create a new folder on the NOOK drive or add the file to any other existing folder within Internal Storage. Eject or Safely Remove the NOOK drive after the file transfer is complete, then disconnect your NOOK from your computer.
Your NOOK will automatically recognize the file after a few minutes when it goes to sleep mode, and proceed to install the updates.
Please do not turn off your NOOK during the installation process.
Once the installation is completed, your NOOK will automatically restart and go to the unlock screen.
Tap on the small "n" NOOK symbol that appears in the Status bar for additional information. The software has been successfully updated.
Also make sure your Nook has at least 20% charge although I usually update when mine is a lot higher.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I live in Sweden and did the update manually because I didn't want to wait. Worked perfectly.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote