Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-14-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast
JoeyBlaze began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Can you download apps from Amazon.com BEFORE owning the Fire?

Hi all,

I will be getting a Kindle Fire for Christmas. I see that Amazon offers one free app a day and they currently have some listed for 10 cents. My question is, since I do not have the device yet, is there a way I can download these apps now and have them on my account, then when I get the fire just load them on? I tried downloading the apps on my PC from amazon.com, but when I click "Get App" it just prompts me to download the Amazon app store (which I can't do on the PC). Anything I can do to secure these apps now in preperation for Dec 25th?

Thanks for any help.
JoeyBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:35 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You need to have an Android device before you can buy apps from Amazon, I believe.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM   #3
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

OK thanks, I guess I'll just have to wait.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

Device: kindle Fire
Actually you're in luck. You don't need a REAL android device. You can use a simulated one.

Download the free bluestacks player and install it on your pc. Used to be win7 only but I believe they have it for XP now. You can find it using google.

Next, the step you have already done, pick a free app you want on amazon's website and click on the get button. Put in your email address. You will receive in that email a link where you can download the Amazon Appstore apk (Amazon_Appstore-release.apk). Download that apk file to your pc.

Now, open the folder where your bluestacks player is installed (probably c:\program files (x86)\bluestacks or c:\program files\bluestacks depending on your windows version) and locate the file HD-ApkHandler.exe.

Drag the amazon appstore apk file you downloaded onto the HD-ApkHandler.exe icon and that will install the apk into bluestacks. Fire it up and you're off and running!

Once you have registered the bluestacks player in the appstore, you can browse and make purchases from the website and they stay in your account, ready to download to your Fire when you get it. You do not actually need to download anything to your bluestacks player unless you want to.
jduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

Gonna try this when I get home. If it works....you da man/woman
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 04:59 PM   #6
jduck
Connoisseur
jduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it isjduck knows what time it is

It worked for me :-) I wasted a lot of time trying to get the Android SDK emulator to work - it ran but wouldn't reliably talk on the network - and then found Bluestacks the day before I got my Fire. At least I got one extra free app with it!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:14 PM   #7
redbees
Enthusiast
redbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfoldedredbees reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Paperwhite 2, Nexus 7
jduck,

Thanks for this info on the bluestacks player! I only recently got the Fire and missed out on some great free apps that I tried unsuccessfully to download from Amazon. I wish I'd known sooner, but this is good for future reference. Karma to you.

Also, welcome to MobileRead!

Last edited by redbees; 12-16-2011 at 12:07 AM.
redbees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
I don't see the apps in the bluestacks player once installed. Is this tip just to enable purchases for those without a Fire?
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #9
JoeyBlaze
Enthusiast

By George it worked!!! Jduck, you are AWESOME!!!!! Thank you so much!!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #10
salsaguy
Addict
salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.salsaguy can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Fire (1st Gen), Kindle Touch, KFHD 8.9 No Ads
Will this also help those that only have a fire and no other android device and cant download apk files from the market? If so I don't mind getting the Apk in the Pc first and then xfering it to the fire with usb
salsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 09:09 PM   #11
jduck
Connoisseur

wizwor - you can theoretically install the apps in the bluestacks player once purchased from Amazon, but to be honest I never actually tried any. The point is just to get you where you can purchase apps without an actual device, but I guess if you wanted to use them ahead of time you might be able to!

Salsaguy if you mean the android market, I was not able to get it to work with bluestacks, maybe for a reason similar to why you have to root the fire to install it. So I don't think it helps with that.