Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookC with CM7 (eMMC)
So, now what?

So, I got my Nookie a week ago and updated to 1.1 before I even knew that there was this thing called "rooting." After an inquiry and a few suggestions to wait for a newer autonooter, I went ahead and restored to 1.0, updated to 1.0.1 and rooted anyway. I couldn't resist. I installed ADB, turned off auto-update and... now what?

Is there anything else that I should be doing that isn't easily apparent to complete this stage of the project? I'm not looking for hand-holding, just a nudge or a shove in the right direction, possibly a mention of some core apps that I should really have on hand, like Root Explorer for example. (That keeps popping up all the time so it's at the top of the list.) The rest I will manage by trial and error, including a manual root when I know what I'm doing. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
You can install CWR and flash the 1.1 pre-rooted update, or you can flash an SD Card with Froyo and mess around. Keep in mind there can be peril in esp. the first path
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #3
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
First thing you can do is start enjoying your rooted NC

Also, I have the following apps which I use most often than not. Not sure if your interests overlap with mine:

1. ezPDF - nice pdf viewer. There is RepliGo which is a bit expensive, but you can try for 15 mins and then get a refund if you don't like.

2. Root Explorer - nice way to side load apps. Tap and install.

3. Live Wallpapers - to sex up your NC screen.

4. Google Reader - nice way to browse through your RSS feeds

5. Aldiko - nice book reader app and you can get tons of free ebooks.

6. Back-up your apps!

I'm sure the ever useful SCION will chime in with few more.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #4
jenniren
Nook Newb
jenniren began at the beginning.

Device: Alienware MX11, Droid 2, Nook Color
You need a better browser (I have been happy with Dolphin 4.2, but hear that xscope is a good one) and a launcher (I have been using prolauncher, but there are others out there too), And of course, Angry Birds is a must!
jenniren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
debteb
Connoisseur
debteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litterdebteb doesn't litter

Device: NOOKcolor, EVO, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniren View Post
You need a better browser (I have been happy with Dolphin 4.2, but hear that xscope is a good one) and a launcher (I have been using prolauncher, but there are others out there too), And of course, Angry Birds is a must!
Oh yeah, Dolphin HD. That's a life saver on the rooted NC. Much much better than the stock browser.
debteb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
noaxis2
Enthusiast
noaxis2 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color (rooted w/autonooter)
My rooted Nook is essentially replacing my smartphone for everything except phone calls and texting (and I found out I can do texting using my Google Voice number). My smartphone had replaced my laptop for most things except writing or intensive web browsing.

I use my Nook to check the weather and news in the morning; check my voicemail,email; facebook, twitter, shopping Amazon; light web browsing; watching movies during lunch break; listening to podcasts, managing my Netflix queue, etc.

Oh...and I do use it for reading!
noaxis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Apoc
Connoisseur
Apoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-booksApoc has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by volwrath View Post
You can install CWR and flash the 1.1 pre-rooted update, or you can flash an SD Card with Froyo and mess around. Keep in mind there can be peril in esp. the first path
I already tried the SD Froyo but I didn't enjoy it much. That's when I decided to root for real. The 1.1 pre-rooted I think I'll try when I have a better idea of what I'm doing. I'm a total Android noob and I want to get some basics under my belt first.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I am keeping this thread handy as a starting point in my undertaking to get familiar with Android. And read some books too. Hehe.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:20 PM   #8
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
This is a great thread for the newbies. I was hoping for something similar as I have a NookColor on the way(hopefully) and plan to root it so I too was trying to figure out what apps are "must haves" etc. so thanks to the OP for starting this thread and hopefully some more people chime in with what they use and deem to be must gets.
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:54 PM   #9
Apoc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ould View Post
This is a great thread for the newbies.
Caveat Emptor! Do not install Angry Birds. I repeat, do not. At least not before you are as close to "done" as possible. For the past 3 hours, time set aside for the nookie, I have been playing this and there is no end in sight. I think I'll skip sleep for tonight.