Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #1
RajeshKumar
RajeshKumar began at the beginning.

Odd and Even page Header Settings

Could somebody help me how to add two different headers for odd and even pages respectively in the Xylog XML (the LRS) file so that it can be experienced in the Sony eReader?

For example, title should appear as header in the odd pages and author in the even pages.

Thanks,
Rajesh
RajeshKumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm somewhat curious as to why one would want to do this on the Reader? The point of different "odd" and "even" page headers is to show different information on the "left" and "right" pages of an open book. That really doesn't apply to the Reader, though, does it - all its pages are "equal".

Perhaps a solution would be to use headers and footers instead?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
dhbailey
Guru
dhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enoughdhbailey will become famous soon enough

Device: HP iPAQ211 / PRS 500, 700 and 505
Or simply put author and title in the same header.

How bad is it to read "Huckleberry Finn -- Mark Twain" centered across the top of each page?

Personally, I don't like that sort of header in a book, and none of the paperbacks, which is what I normally read when I read paper books, that I read have them. I realize that hard-back books often have such headers, but I ignore them and see no purpose in them.
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 07:48 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
I doubt that you could do that with LRF: the number of pages will change if you change the font size.
But you can easily do this with LaTeX and create a PDF file if you really need such a feature...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 08:03 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbailey
Personally, I don't like that sort of header in a book, and none of the paperbacks, which is what I normally read when I read paper books, that I read have them. I realize that hard-back books often have such headers, but I ignore them and see no purpose in them.
Someone said recently that they were asked what they were reading on their Reader, and couldn't remember the title. Perhaps that's the sort of person such things are intended for?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-17-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
That was me, Harry -- the book I'm reading now is a ConnStore book, which has the title as a header (in really small font, so it doesn't take much real-estate), and now when someone asks what I'm reading, I can tell them. Of course no one's ever heard of the stuff I read, but that's nothing new. At least this way, the person who asked me the question ends up with the blank look on their face instead of me (which is only fair, since they're the one who asked a question for which the answer was no likely use to them )
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
That was me, Harry -- the book I'm reading now is a ConnStore book, which has the title as a header (in really small font, so it doesn't take much real-estate), and now when someone asks what I'm reading, I can tell them. Of course no one's ever heard of the stuff I read, but that's nothing new. At least this way, the person who asked me the question ends up with the blank look on their face instead of me (which is only fair, since they're the one who asked a question for which the answer was no likely use to them )
How is the formatting of this ConnStore book? Does it have a too small a small font and excessive margins?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 09:56 AM   #8
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's probably the best of the ones I've read from there so far (Elizabeth Moon's Marque and Reprisal) -- actually the other books in the same series have been about the same. The font on L is a bit smaller than I'd prefer, but larger than the average paperback (I'd forgotten how small they were, until I looked at one a few days ago ). The margins ( I had to stop and look) are only about a centimeter on all sides -- still larger than they need to be, but much better than the others I've seen.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:08 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
It's probably the best of the ones I've read from there so far (Elizabeth Moon's Marque and Reprisal) -- actually the other books in the same series have been about the same. The font on L is a bit smaller than I'd prefer, but larger than the average paperback (I'd forgotten how small they were, until I looked at one a few days ago ). The margins ( I had to stop and look) are only about a centimeter on all sides -- still larger than they need to be, but much better than the others I've seen.
How does this compare to Vanguard (one of the books that came with the Reader)? I thought Vanguard wasn't too bad overall. But the margins are still too large,.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:36 AM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the page element has an evenheader id and oddheader id attribute
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:40 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
How does this compare to Vanguard (one of the books that came with the Reader)? I thought Vanguard wasn't too bad overall. But the margins are still too large,.
Dunno, I don't think I ever opened the Vanguard sample ....

I'll have to load it up and see how the compare once I get back home (that'll be a few days).
Old 05-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I put the title in the upper/right corner w/ the chapter in the lower/left as a footer.

Good point Hadrian, with repagination it would get a bit screwy trying to hard-code odd/even page headers.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote