Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #1
warpwar
warpwar began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
keep the file name the same?

Hi, I have been using Calibre to convert my library to epub format (displays best on my ebook reader) and I wanted to know if there was a way to keep the output file name the same as the source.

It seems to name the output file whatever it feels like, one was named "Font Font Color Font Size Background Col". others are truncated, or have the author removed from the file name, some are named after the first line of text in the file.

I then have to figure out what is what and change the names back, it is time consuming and overly complicated. I am not using it for library management, just batch conversion to epub.

is there a way to force it to keep the same file name?
Thank you.
warpwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
In Preferences check the option to read metadata from file names.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 PM   #3
warpwar
warpwar began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZReader Pocket Pro
Thanks, it works great now.
warpwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Sullivan
Connoisseur
Sullivan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Excellent, can't believe I didn't realise that.
Sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #5
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In Preferences check the option to read metadata from file names.
Thanks Kovid.
Additional question: Do you have to rerun the convert?
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
Additional question: Do you have to rerun the convert?
During conversion, even when you run the command line utility, Calibre reads options set in the GUI (unless you override them with a command line option parameter.) The GUI options control various things, including how Calibre determines the author name, the title, etc. Calibre will write metadata into the output file during the conversion process. The metadata it will write depends on the metadata that the output format can hold.

I'm not sure if that answers your question, but if you have converted to an output format that holds metadata, and if that metadata is wrong (because the GUI options were set wrong), then you would need to rerun the convert to set the metadata correctly.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
JCSullivan
Chief Inspector Gamache
JCSullivan began at the beginning.

Device: Viewsonic
Starson, thanks so much for your time AND quick reply.

Yesterday was the first time I ran the s'ware, as a result of recently acquiring the KOBO so please accept my apologies for being a little thick.

I am converting pdf to epub and the software works fantastic(ly). Once finished I want to be able to copy the output file in the same directory with a different name (there's a reason for my madness) so that when it comes up on the KOBO I don't have 2 files with the same name - unfortunately I am unable to get around this and I know I'm doing something wrong in Calibre! but don't know what.

Again, thanks for your help.
JCSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCSullivan View Post
Starson, thanks so much for your time AND quick reply.
You're welcome.

Quote:
I am converting pdf to epub and the software works fantastic(ly).
You're lucky. PDF conversion is often very bad - it's just a difficult format to convert from.

Quote:
Once finished I want to be able to copy the output file in the same directory with a different name (there's a reason for my madness) so that when it comes up on the KOBO I don't have 2 files with the same name - unfortunately I am unable to get around this and I know I'm doing something wrong in Calibre! but don't know what.
I'm not really sure what your problem is. If you're using the command line tools, AFAIK, you specify the output filename on the command line. If you're using the GUI, then you don't specify the name during conversion. You specify the name in the Preferences, and it's used when you either "Save to Disk" or "Send to Device." The output name can include any combination of author, title, etc. from the metadata associated with the book. If you are having trouble getting the correct author and title when adding the book to the GUI interface, then you need to set the regex expression in Preferences|Add/Save according to the way you have named your books.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote