Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Thumbs up Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but I just stumbled (well not exactly, I was looking for information on pre-socratic philosophers and found a link on Wikipedia) on this site, which seems a very rich and serious ressource on philosophy.

It's free to read online, and for $10 a year you can download individual entries in pdf format, which might be useful for some very large entries. I'll have to download the sample pdf and see if I can read it on my Cybook.

Anyway, thought this could be useful to others...
http://plato.stanford.edu/

Florence
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #2
Minda
Minda began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Philosophy!

Hey, thank you, I'd forgotten that site existed, I'll have to check out the PDF downloads too!
Minda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:15 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
As an author of an article on there, I thank you for your interest!

I have free access to the PDF versions, but personally, I don't think the PDFs look much different than the HTML versions, except for certain articles.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:02 AM   #4
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Frabjous, I don't except the PDFs to look different, but they would be more portable. Reading a long text on a computer is not very comfortable, especially in the subway, and I don't have an internet-enabled portable device.

I tried the sample PDF on my Cybook and it didn't come out very well, but then the Cybook is really horrible with PDFs. I tried converting it with Calibre and got a readable result, but it would probably be simpler to just download the html source.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 08-26-2009 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #5
Thrasymachus
Enthusiast
Thrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litterThrasymachus doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Astak EZ Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Frabjous, I don't except the PDFs to look different, but they would be more portable. Reading a long text on a computer is not very comfortable, especially in the subway, and I don't have an internet-enabled portable device.

I tried the sample PDF on my Cybook and it didn't come out very well, but then the Cybook is really horrible with PDFs. I tried converting it with Calibre and got a readable result, but it would probably be simpler to just download the html source.
This encyclopedia is a nice resource, but I'd suggest a different way to put articles on a reading device: copy/paste the text of the article you want to MS Word, save as ("filtered") HTML, and put it right on the Cybook. I don't have a Cybook, but I understand it supports HTML. If you need a format like PRC or EPUB, run the HTML file through calibre. Wouldn't this work?
Thrasymachus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Yes, that would also work. But to be honest I was mostly thinking about paying the fee just to show my support
Old 08-29-2009, 07:43 PM   #7
reader22
Enthusiast
reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.reader22 understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: none
Thanks for the link.
reader22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
online, philosophy, reference, ressource