Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #1
Nola_Gal
Nola_Gal began at the beginning.

Device: laptop; blackberry
New and Craving an E-Reader!

Hello everyone,

I'm new here so I thought I'd introduce myself. I live in New Orleans and have always loved books. Over the years I collected hundreds of books until it became clear to me that they were taking over my house. (It was probably clear to everyone else much sooner but...) Anyway, I have made great progress in finding many of them good homes.

That's when my interest in ebooks started. It would be really easy for me to restock my library but I'm trying to avoid that. Right now I read on my laptop and on my blackberry. The blackberry is good but the screen is really small. I'd love to get an eInk reader but there are so many choices. That is what brought me to this site. I'll be looking around trying to learn what I can before I inevitably pull the trigger!

Thanks,

Nola Gal
Nola_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:54 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
Welcome to the site. You will get lots of opinions and help on any device you are considering. Check the Wiki link in the upper left corner of the website. Lots of great information on readers and formats including the famed ebook reader matrix.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 09:00 AM   #3
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Welcome, Nola Gal!

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Welcome! The choices for e-ink readers boils down to:

1. Cybook, very well-regarded here (on MobileRead, that is). Depending on your location, warranty support would be the only quibble. Check BooksOnBoard.com for US deals and support.

2. Sony, the 505 and the 700. I have a 505 and it has no shortcomings for the way I use it. Sony has their own format but there are ways for the reasonably computer literate to get other formats onto the device. One of our members, Kovid, has written a utility many of us use for format conversion, called "calibre". Look at both of them in person before picking one, as both have pros and cons.

3. Amazon Kindle. Same screen as the Cybook and the Sony 505. The benefits of the Kindle are, due to it being an Amazon product, it is closely linked to the Amazon store, and so has the widest and cheapest content authoring. It will link to the store directly from the device, if you're in the US. In my opinion, the Kindle makes no sense at all for non-US consumers.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:12 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
Welcome! The choices for e-ink readers boils down to:

1. Cybook, very well-regarded here (on MobileRead, that is). Depending on your location, warranty support would be the only quibble. Check BooksOnBoard.com for US deals and support.

2. Sony, the 505 and the 700. I have a 505 and it has no shortcomings for the way I use it. Sony has their own format but there are ways for the reasonably computer literate to get other formats onto the device. One of our members, Kovid, has written a utility many of us use for format conversion, called "calibre". Look at both of them in person before picking one, as both have pros and cons.

3. Amazon Kindle. Same screen as the Cybook and the Sony 505. The benefits of the Kindle are, due to it being an Amazon product, it is closely linked to the Amazon store, and so has the widest and cheapest content authoring. It will link to the store directly from the device, if you're in the US. In my opinion, the Kindle makes no sense at all for non-US consumers.
Or the Astak EZ Reader which is really a Hanlin V3 in disguise.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2008, 09:16 AM   #6
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I see that you do live in New Orleans, so ignore my "if you live in the US" comments.

Slite, I've never seen a Hanlin or Astak for sell anywhere in the US.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:18 AM   #7
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
I see that you do live in New Orleans, so ignore my "if you live in the US" comments.

Slite, I've never seen a Hanlin or Astak for sell anywhere in the US.
Hmmm, I thought Astak had launched their EZ-Reader, but I might be mistaken
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Nola and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 01:23 PM   #9
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slite View Post
Hmmm, I thought Astak had launched their EZ-Reader, but I might be mistaken
According to their website
it's released in November, so that would be any day now! I've got a Bebook which is a European version of the same machine, and I'm very pleased with it.

EDIT: Another thought -- what format are the ebooks you have already? That could well determine which would be the best reader for you.

Last edited by carandol; 11-26-2008 at 01:25 PM.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:32 AM   #10
Nola_Gal
Nola_Gal began at the beginning.

Device: laptop; blackberry
Thanks everyone for the welcome and the replies!

Most of the books I have now are in the mobi format. Some I've bought and some I've converted from the Gutenberg site.

If I'm really honest with myself, I want a Kindle so that I can have access to the Amazon content. That being said, I really don't like being so tied to one retailer. Sure, Amazon isn't going anywhere but isn't that what everyone said about lehman brothers, AIG etc...The other real downside to the Kindle is the wait. According to the website, the wait is 11 to 13 weeks.

What are the major differences between the Sony, Cybook and EZReader? I like the mobi format but don't have a lot invested in it so far so I'm open to change but would like to have access to a wide variety of content.

Last edited by Nola_Gal; 11-28-2008 at 09:36 AM.
Nola_Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #11
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
The Sony Reader is tied into Sony in the same way that the Kindle is tied in to Amazon, so your reasons for being dubious about the Kindle would apply to that too.

Don't know a lot about the Cybook and it's file reading abilities, but from the point of view ergonomics, the EZ Reader has two sets of buttons for turning the page, which increases the ways you can hold it and in which hand. The screens are identical.

I notice that the EZ Reader doesn't mention that it reads Mobipocket files. This is odd, because the Bebook (a European version of the same Hanlin V3 device) certainly does. But different companies rebrand the same device and then produce their own software, and maybe they haven't got a license to do Mobipocket yet. Definitely worth finding out for sure before buying. It's actually very easy to install any of the different versions of the V3 software, so you could run the EZ Reader with the Bebook software, but you may not want to go down that road!
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
You seem like someone that potentially will buy lots of books,and therefor the Kindle will be better suited for you.

Partly because on Amazon books are about $4 cheaper than on Sony shop.
As long as you buy 10 ebooks, the price difference between a Kindle and Sony reader can be won back with the books.

The only downside I find, is that if you ever want to read generic documents on the kindle reader,you'll need to email them to Amazon Customer service.
After which they will scan them for you, and put those documents into your account.
Having many documents to send can be frustrating on both sides.
Sony reader offers the option to convert every document to the .lrf fileformat.
Any scans you have, of egersonal documents like loveletters of a long forgotten lover of the past (for those who want to carry them on their reader) can be home converted.

The Sony reader also directly supports .txt and .pdf fileformat. And it supports it quite ok compared to the other models out there!
The kindle supports Mobi but does not support PDF.
PDF documents need to be sent to CS, for scanning and conversion.

The Astak mentor was originally planned for november, however other sources say production got delayed untill Q2 2009.
Same goes for Plastic Logics with their plastic logic reader.

If you mainly view PDF files, you might consider the Iliad or it's bigger brother.
Mainly because they have a higher resolution, and you can make annotations on it's touchscreen.
The con of this reader is it's pricetag and the lower battery life.

Sony reader does not support the Mobi format. Cybook does.
Most comparison info can be found here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM   #13
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
The only downside I find, is that if you ever want to read generic documents on the kindle reader,you'll need to email them to Amazon Customer service.
After which they will scan them for you, and put those documents into your account.
Having many documents to send can be frustrating on both sides.
Sony reader offers the option to convert every document to the .lrf fileformat.
Any scans you have, of egersonal documents like loveletters of a long forgotten lover of the past (for those who want to carry them on their reader) can be home converted.

Sony reader does not support the Mobi format. Cybook does.
Most comparison info can be found here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_Reader_Matrix
The Kindle also supports Mobi. And you don't have to send files to Amazon for conversion; you can do it yourself with Mobipocket Desktop, MobiCreator, or MobiGen. Look here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...dle+content%5D
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Why? What's wrong with the USB port?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 AM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 505 & 700 also handle ePub format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote