Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #1
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Waiting for my reader to arrive

I've been reading books my whole life. I started listening to audio books too and that held me quite strongly for a while. The idea of reading on a screen never appealed to me and I never thought about getting an ereader.

Then I moved to Spain as an exchange student. After 3 months in Spain I have collected more than a dozen books and A LOT of printed .pdfs. When I realized I'll have to take them home somehow (read: pay to have them shipped), it came to me how much easier my life could have been with an ereader... and I decided I wanted one.

Basically, the only one I had heard about was the Kindle... therefore I wanted a Kindle. I was really into getting one, I was reading reviews and looking at pictures and covers online. Then I told one of my friend's friends that and she was against the Kindle - she suggested something else (Sony or Cybook Orizon or something). At this point I actually realized I have a choice.

So, I spent my Christmas holidays researching and I chose to get the Sony Touch Edition in red. Then in I jumped into trying to find it for as little as I can and I realized I would be lucky if I found it. Period. Well, I got lucky and a few days ago my boyfriend's mother picked up the last one they had in their city, if Sony website is to be trusted. The last one in store at any case.

Now I wait. My boyfriend will come to visit me in Spain in 2 weeks and he will bring the ereader with him, and until he comes... I wait. And it's driving me crazy!!! I am sick at the moment, laying in bed and thinking how awesome it could be if I had my reader now.

There's nothing left for me to do. No reviews to research, advices to seek, decisions to be made. I just have to sit and wait and urgh!

I just wanted to vent.

Tell me I'll adore it, please.
Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #2
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
You lucky, with a 650 coming to you! I'd love to have that to look forward to, but I'd prefer the black I'm sure you'll enjoy it!
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.
Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ivy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey GraceKrispy!

I saw your challenges on your blog and Goodreads.com and it actually made me write the post and whine I found so many books I'd love to read on Smashwords.com but I just refuse to do it on my computer.

Can I add you on Goodreads?
Old 01-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Cool, Ivy! I'm sure you will adore it. I love having a whole library of books in compact form and easily portable. Did you pick out a cover yet? It's a good idea to keep your ereader protected, especially if you are going to carry it around with you in a handbag or backpack. Maybe you should look online and see if you want your boyfriend to bring you a cover too. If I were you, I would download software like the Sony Reader Library, Adobe Digital Editions and calibre to get my computer setup and get familiarized with everything. I'd probably download the User Guide from the Sony website too and glance through it. I would also start a books wishlist and download some free public domain books. That should keep your mind a little occupied while you wait impatiently for your new ereader (and your boyfriend) to arrive.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.

Hey, Bookworm_Girl!

Thanks for your suggestions! I already have calibre and it has my books in it. I downloaded a lot of books from this website, Smashwords and another website that had free public domain books but I can't remember it's name anymore.

I got Adobe Digital Editions also because as I understand, I will need it to borrow books from the library.

I did not get the Sony Reader software because I read on the forums that calibre is preferred as ebook manager app and that these two had problems with each other, so it is recommended to use only one.

I am on Mac OS X if that makes any difference?

The idea about downloading the manual is awesome, I'll go do that right now! Thanks!
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
The waiting is the hardest part.

I mainly use Calibre, but also have used the Sony Reader software. You just can't use them both in the same session. So if you use Calibre, eject the device and then replug the USB before using Sony and vice versa. I use the Sony Reader software for buying books from the Sony site.

Also, there's a forum here for free books and deals. I bought a bunch of books when Kobo had their $3 off reusable coupon a month or so ago.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #7
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Waiting can be tough, but at least you know that it is on its way. Just remember, when you boyfriend arrives, make sure that you do not appear more eager to get the reader that you are to see him. We guys can be sensitive about things like that, especially when we travel across the ocean to see someone special :-)

Don't be too biased against the Sony software until you try it yourself. It has its quirks, but it is still useful. Even if you do not plan to buy your books from them, every month they offer some free books, and some of them are quite good.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I thought one needs to have the Sony software installed to get library books to work properly, although one need not actually use it?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I thought one needs to have the Sony software installed to get library books to work properly, although one need not actually use it?
Yes, I think so if you have a Windows PC. Library books can be transferred to your ereader via Adobe Digital Editions or Sony Reader Library. As I understand it, if you want to use ADE, then you have to install the Sony Reader Library to get the appropriate drivers for ADE to recognize your ereader as a USB-connected device. After that you don't have to use the Sony Reader Library unless you want to purchase books from Sony. You could just use ADE to transfer your books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
I got Adobe Digital Editions also because as I understand, I will need it to borrow books from the library.

I did not get the Sony Reader software because I read on the forums that calibre is preferred as ebook manager app and that these two had problems with each other, so it is recommended to use only one.

I am on Mac OS X if that makes any difference?
Ivy, I am on Mac OS X too. Actually it does make a difference. ADE for Mac doesn't play nice with the Sony ereaders like the PC-version does. It won't recognize your ereader and therefore you can't use it to transfer books. It is just a Sony issue and ADE for Mac works fine with other brands... So, you will have to install the Sony Reader Library for Mac software because it has integrated within it the ADE authorization for your ereader. That's ok. I have both Reader Library and calibre installed on my MBP. You can use calibre for most of your books, and the Reader Library just for library books if you want. The key is not to have both programs open at the same time when your ereader is connected by USB.

Glad you have already discovered the books here on MR. Some of them are very nicely formatted. My favorite source for public domain books is feedbooks.com, and my second choice is manybooks.net.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 AM   #10
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
I really enjoy my black 650 and it is everything I had hoped it would be. I turned down reader after reader for over 2 years since none of them seemed right or they were too expensive, so I had very definite ideas about what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. So the 650 had a lot to live up to.

I have become very grateful that I purchased it back in October during the buy a reader at full price and get a lighted cover included sale. If I had waited until Black Friday hoping for a better deal I would not have been able to purchase one or very lucky indeed as you were. The 350 and 950 models simply did not not interest me nearly as much as the 650 did. So good luck to you as you try to wait for your red 650!
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
Ivy
Sometimes I purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
Even if you do not plan to buy your books from them, every month they offer some free books, and some of them are quite good.
Where do you see the free books they offer? I'd like to keep an eye for them but I have not been able to find a section that lists them.

And about the boyfriend, I know I won't be really using my ereader while he is here, or just a little bit. I'll do my best to make sure he knows I am looking forward to him more than the reader, don't worry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
My favorite source for public domain books is feedbooks.com, and my second choice is manybooks.net.
Thanks for the links!

I ended up downloading so many free books! I own some of them in paper and even though I got them for a really good price, if I had gotten an ereader earlier, I would have saved a lot of money. I know an ereader is expensive but if I had paid just $1 for every book I downloaded for free, it would have paid itself off already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraD View Post
I turned down reader after reader for over 2 years since none of them seemed right or they were too expensive, so I had very definite ideas about what I wanted and what I was willing to pay. So the 650 had a lot to live up to.
This is great to hear!
I'm pretty picky myself and I am happy to hear you think the 650 is a good device.

Old 01-03-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
bobby68
bobby68 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650
Hi Ivy

I feel your pain about waiting for your new e-reader. I was in the same boat a couple month ago.

None of the Sony Readers have been available in my country (Denmark) before, and I was, after careful research of other e-readers, determined to travel to Germany, to buy a Sony Reader. I prefer the flexibility of the Sony over the Kindle.

Back in October, I saw a blog-post stating that the Sony Readers was comming to Denmark in January !
It turned out that they was expected to arrive in December instead, and the 1. of December I drove to my nearest Sony Center, to have a look, but I was told that they didn't expected them before 14 days later.

Then the 15. of December I drove to the Sony Center again, and there it was, behind glass - the PRS-350 (I thougt), it was so tiny. But the sign said PRS-650...?

Infact it was the 650, in black. They have no idea when the 350 would arrive, so I immediately purchased the 650 - they had two of them.

This is my first e-reader, but it is the perfect device to read books on, I absolutely adore it. I don't have that much time for reading, but I'm already reading my fourth book on it now.

I also have an iPad that I love, but for books it's the Sony Reader all the way !
The iPad is good for magasines though.

Last edited by bobby68; 01-03-2011 at 08:32 AM.
bobby68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #13
Jaro
Jaro began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505,pocketbook 602
[QUOTE=Ivy;1310151]Where do you see the free books they offer? I'd like to keep an eye for them but I have not been able to find a section that lists them.

In category Bargain-Priced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony store.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	64027  
Jaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Tell me I'll adore it, please.
You will.
Your boyfriend is the one who should be worried. He is about to enter a real competition. Isn't it ironic, that he is bring the rival himself?

You might build up/expand your ebook collection while you are waiting if you feel OK to spend some time in front of computer.

astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #15
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaro View Post
Quote:
Where do you see the free books they offer? I'd like to keep an eye for them but I have not been able to find a section that lists them.
In category Bargain-Priced.
Not all of the free books show up in Bargain-Priced. If you use the inkmesh website, then it compiles all of the free books available in one nice list for you.
http://inkmesh.com/free-ebooks/?site=sony

Inkmesh is also good for price comparison shopping among ebookstores.