Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 03-24-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
How long did your first charge last?

I'm just asking because I really didn't expect this long of a battery life. I'm still on my first March 5th , 12 hour charge on my Pocket Pro. I keep waiting for it to reach the end so I can charge it again to teach the battery to synch with the PP's battery indicator but this battery is like the energizer bunny! It's keeps going and going! The units not even cranky and runs like it should at two bars. I'm not complaining here just in awe.

So I ask how long did your first charge last?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
hapmas77
Connoisseur
hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hapmas77 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2, Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, Kindle PW
I charged my PP for 12 hours initially, and it run for 2 weeks from full to two bars. I then recharged it for another 12 hours. I believed that the battery meter was not calibrated and was afraid of losing juice. Right now my PP takes 10 days average for every battery bar, with 3-4 hours reading everyday . Remember not to let your PP dead before recharging. It creates lots of problems (at least that what I understand from the various threads in Astak forum here).
hapmas77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 03:04 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
My first charge was gone within the week. But that was due to a flaw in the firmware. After I updated the firmware, somewhere at the start of November, I charged it completely. I only recharged it about 2, 3 weeks ago.

I never turned it off (keylock only), and did some moderate reading on it (especially during the christmas holidays). I wish i could do 3 to 4 hours reading a day!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I thought I read I need to let the battery run low for the first 3 charges? Is this not the case? I believe I read in other threads this helps calibrate the battery to the PP's battery gauge.

I turn my PP off when not in use for a long time. I read an average of 3 to 4 hours myself. It's been on two bars now since the 15th. I believe there is a low battery indicator now? That's what I been waiting to see so I could charge it again another 12 hours.

Should I wait till it says low battery to start the second charge?

I want to do this right so any help or advice given is much appreciate.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #5
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
My first battery charge lasted a long long time. Makes a mockery of Robert's constant harping about charging the battery for 12 hours. Sorry Robert, but real life just doesn't support your theory (nor does any sane electrical theory about battery charging). If normal charge time is x hours (where x is normally 3 or 4 from my experience), then whatever the state of the battery when delivered, a few hours, or at most, half what you say, will ensure it is full. More to the point, a couple of hours charge will ensure any problems experienced will NOT be due to battery problems,

BUT - different firmware versions have various poor attempts at a battery meter, and it is a contentious issue, I know. Nothing I have read or experienced has convinced me otherwise.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
Fincary
Fincary began at the beginning.

Device: Ebookwise-1150; Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro; Nook
I just charged mine for the first time after the initial charge. I figured that after over a month of daily use, even though the battery meter was still reading 1/2, that I would go ahead and recharge. I didn't pay too much attention to it, but it took a couple of hours for the charging light to go from red to green (charging from my computer USB port.)
Fincary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I thought I read I need to let the battery run low for the first 3 charges? Is this not the case? I believe I read in other threads this helps calibrate the battery to the PP's battery gauge.

I turn my PP off when not in use for a long time. I read an average of 3 to 4 hours myself. It's been on two bars now since the 15th. I believe there is a low battery indicator now? That's what I been waiting to see so I could charge it again another 12 hours.

I suggest recharging when it gets to two bars. Especially the first 3 or so times. I would never deliberatly get to one bar. Also, I keep a log of when I recharge to see how long each one lasts.

With the possibility the lastest firmware has a battery monitoring problem (some have reported, though not all people are having this problem) I suggest going ahead and recharging after a couple of weeks.

AJ
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:24 AM   #8
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I recharged mine again once it got down to two bars but the two bars I used up lasted me about 3 weeks and I was reading for hours everyday. I have no complaints about this battery.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:29 AM   #9
crsheilah
Connoisseur
crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.crsheilah can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Velocity Cruz T103
I'm amazed when I read about how many page turns someone gets before having to charge. How would one ever keep track of that?! I use the NYPL a lot so everytime I plug in to download books from there my reader charges, it would be impossible to know how many page turns I get even if I were to keep notes (as these people must). I usually give it a full charge when it gets down to two bars. My big worry is that someday I may have to return it to Sony for a new battery. Anyone run into this problem?
crsheilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:38 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
My first battery charge lasted a long long time. Makes a mockery of Robert's constant harping about charging the battery for 12 hours. Sorry Robert, but real life just doesn't support your theory (nor does any sane electrical theory about battery charging). If normal charge time is x hours (where x is normally 3 or 4 from my experience), then whatever the state of the battery when delivered, a few hours, or at most, half what you say, will ensure it is full. More to the point, a couple of hours charge will ensure any problems experienced will NOT be due to battery problems,

BUT - different firmware versions have various poor attempts at a battery meter, and it is a contentious issue, I know. Nothing I have read or experienced has convinced me otherwise.
Sorry, but electronic theory does support a long charge.

When charging Capacitors (and more so, Batteries), they are always approaching a full charge as the never truly reach 100%. The charge gain just becomes smaller and smaller and smaller....
(charge curve, )

To the original poster
Charge for another 12 hours (over night) when the bar drops 1 or 2.
The scale is still un-calibrated, so you don't know how far you are really down.Even playing Music, I got a week out of a charge.
Not having a back light and having to actively keep the words on the display, saves gobs of battery.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #11
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
I read for over 3 weeks on my first charge. That was well into the 2 bar range. RobertB recommended not letting it drop below 2 bars, and I had a few flaky page turns, so I plugged it back in for an overnight charge.

Just spent a 4 day weekend out of town, and it didn't even occur to me to take a charger. Considering I carry 2 phone chargers, just in case, that shows how long the battery lasts.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #12
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by crsheilah View Post
My big worry is that someday I may have to return it to Sony for a new battery. Anyone run into this problem?
The batteries on the Hanlin devices are user replaceable, so that is not a problem. The problem with the V5 is just finding a battery for it. The battery on the V3 is a common cell phone battery, so replacements are easy to find.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #13
irenas
Zealot
irenas began at the beginning.

Device: Astak EZ reader
Every time I connect the reader to the computer the battery get additional charge and because i do it often (to get a new book, or to move the finished one to the archive folder and so on.. ) i never get to the 2 bars on the battery symbol. But i am going on a 3 day vacation to test my battery life
irenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:53 PM   #14
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post

Dear Blossom:

You are doing everything right; and I thank you. BUT, the factory instructions are wrong! The OLD batteries needed to use this archaic "charge fully, drain fully" idea. The new batteries do not require this!! You should charge when the battery charge life meter get just below 1/2. If you let it get too low it will start to have problems.

Yes, the PP has astonishing charge life. Depending on how often you read, it can last for weeks. But , PLEASE, save yourself trouble by reading the FAQ sheet and always charging when it gets just below 1/2. Also, when you charge, even after the green light comes on, keep charging for another hour or two! The green light shows it has just reached "full"; but it can hold more!!! You cannot overcharge the battery!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM   #15
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Astak carries batteries for both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
The batteries on the Hanlin devices are user replaceable, so that is not a problem. The problem with the V5 is just finding a battery for it. The battery on the V3 is a common cell phone battery, so replacements are easy to find.
Dear Dave:

If you need a battery for the V3 or V5 (Astak EZ Reader or Pocket PRO) Astak does sell those batteries... and we do not mark them up either!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote