Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #1
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Touch
Kobo Customer Loyality Program??????

I seem to be having freezing/delay problems with my Kobo Touch ever since the last firmware upgrade.

(See link https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=246591 )

I've talked to Kobo Customer Care a few times, but I'm not getting much help there.

On my last call, the Customer Care person said that i should call back in the morning and ask for their Loyalty Program - Perhaps they can do something - but she didn't know much about the program or what they offered.

I Googled "Kobo Loyalty Program and found NOTHING.

Has anyone ever heard of this program and what it does?

Secondly,should I just give up and buy a Kindle? Does Kindle have these kind of problems and this "we have no answer" type of Customer Service?

Last edited by Joeldmtl; 09-22-2014 at 11:03 PM.
Joeldmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #2
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Never heard of the Kobo Loyalty program.

How old is your Touch? This is sounding like possibly a hardware issue rather than firmware. You might want to try downgrading to an older version of the firmware (you can find links in the developers forum at the top of the page) and see if it still happens. If it does then it's probably hardware. If not, that would point toward a firmware issue. One thing: make sure you factory reset and upgrade to the older firmware rather than trying to downgrade directly from current (possible database changes can mess with downgrading).
One other question: I know you said you have removed books, but are the freezes happening in the same book or have you tried several different books.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #3
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur
Joeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterJoeldmtl can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robko View Post
Never heard of the Kobo Loyalty program.

How old is your Touch? This is sounding like possibly a hardware issue rather than firmware. You might want to try downgrading to an older version of the firmware (you can find links in the developers forum at the top of the page) and see if it still happens. If it does then it's probably hardware. If not, that would point toward a firmware issue. One thing: make sure you factory reset and upgrade to the older firmware rather than trying to downgrade directly from current (possible database changes can mess with downgrading).
One other question: I know you said you have removed books, but are the freezes happening in the same book or have you tried several different books.
My Touch is around 2 years old. My wif's Kobo is also two years old and is only experiencing the Bookmark problem - not the freezing/delay while reading. Both Kobos have the same books on them.

Yes, my Kobo is having both problems (Bookmark to Homepage; nd freezing while reading) on different books.

I will try loading a different firmware version today. Can you please list the steps to take, so that i don't mess it up.

Thanks,

Joel
Old 09-23-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur

I just got off the phone with Kobo's Customer Loyalty Program people. No wonder we've never heard of it, all it is is them trying to sell you the ARC 19 tablet at a supposedly discounted price of $240 instead of $400.

That may be of interst to some of you, but all I want is an e-reader that works. Is Kindle ant better than Kobo?
Old 09-23-2014, 11:16 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
I will try loading a different firmware version today. Can you please list the steps to take, so that i don't mess it up.
Should find what you need here...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=185660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeldmtl View Post
Is Kindle ant better than Kobo?
It's different, though I hesitate to say better. Kobo gives you more formatting options, but at certain times their firmware can be kinda buggy for some things (depends on if you're using those things). Kindle has less adjustment options, but generally the firmware doesn't seem to have any real glitches (at least not how I've used it).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2014, 12:13 PM   #6
Joeldmtl
Connoisseur

I am curious. Does Kobo make money on each book sold or only on the e-readers?

The reason I ask is because if Kobo made money on the books, then they would be more sensitive to people moving from Kobo to Kindle. But if they don't make money on the books, then the people to talk to about resolving stubborn problems are the book sellers, since changing your system from Kobo to Kindle means that they have lost a customer for good, which would cause them to put pressure on Kobo/
Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Selling books, magazines, etc. is how they make most of their money. Most retailer associated devices make them very little overall on their own (Kindles for example are sold at or near cost).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote