Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #1
KseniBlake
KseniBlake began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Unhappy Kindle Touch stuck in diagnostics mode! Please help!

So basically, I just recently got my Kindle Touch and so I decided to jailbreak it. I followed all the instructions from the given README file. But when I got to the part where it was needed for me to go onto the diagnosis page/mode I had trouble with the empty file. When I finally figured it out, I went onto the diagnosis page and pressed the Exit, Reboot or Desable Diags button, then Reboot and the To Continue. As it said in the instructions I was supposed to do it twice and after the first time when it showed the Jailbreak screen I Rebooted again and it was supposed to go back to normal kindle mode. But I have probably rebooted the kindle about 20 times by now and it wouldn't go back into normal/main usual kindle working mode. I am really desperate for a way to get out of this screen. I am also fairly new so I have no idea about all those apps and hacking programmes for kindles. I am so sorry if this has occurred with any other thread, but I spent about two days searching for an answer and couldn't find one. I have tried holding the shut down/sleep button down for long. Rebooting and pressing exit. When connected to my laptop the kindle isn't seen. Thank you for your time.
Ksenia
KseniBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Clau
Enthusiast
Clau began at the beginning.

I got a similar problem after using Kindlean, although I hadn't modified any file. I fully charged the Kindle and only then Desable Diags worked.
Clau is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
KseniBlake
KseniBlake began at the beginning.

Tryed that, didn't work. Now I'm just trying to wait until it loses all the battery and then reload it.
KseniBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KseniBlake View Post
So basically, I just recently got my Kindle Touch and so I decided to jailbreak it. I followed all the instructions from the given README file. But when I got to the part where it was needed for me to go onto the diagnosis page/mode I had trouble with the empty file. When I finally figured it out, I went onto the diagnosis page and pressed the Exit, Reboot or Desable Diags button, then Reboot and the To Continue. As it said in the instructions I was supposed to do it twice and after the first time when it showed the Jailbreak screen I Rebooted again and it was supposed to go back to normal kindle mode. But I have probably rebooted the kindle about 20 times by now and it wouldn't go back into normal/main usual kindle working mode. I am really desperate for a way to get out of this screen. I am also fairly new so I have no idea about all those apps and hacking programmes for kindles. I am so sorry if this has occurred with any other thread, but I spent about two days searching for an answer and couldn't find one. I have tried holding the shut down/sleep button down for long. Rebooting and pressing exit. When connected to my laptop the kindle isn't seen. Thank you for your time.
Ksenia
Getting out of diag is documented many time in the Dev Corner forum. It was even described again in detail in a currently active thread. Tech questions like this should be posted there...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
workingkindle
workingkindle began at the beginning.

KseniBlake and anyone else who is stuck like this, I have just spent half a day panicking about what to do in your position, so here is what I did to save you the trouble.

1) Go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

2) Download 'KindleSelectBoot.zip' in the attatched files at the bottom of the first post.

3) Unzip and run 'MfgTool.exe

4) Select 'Kindle Main' from the dropdown menu.

5) Scan devices.

6) Press 'Start' and the kindle should go to the main menu!

Couldn't find ANYWHERE with instructions as simple as these. Really hope this helped.
workingkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2012, 09:02 PM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingkindle View Post
KseniBlake and anyone else who is stuck like this, I have just spent half a day panicking about what to do in your position, so here is what I did to save you the trouble.

1) Go to https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169645

2) Download 'KindleSelectBoot.zip' in the attatched files at the bottom of the first post.

3) Unzip and run 'MfgTool.exe

4) Select 'Kindle Main' from the dropdown menu.

5) Scan devices.

6) Press 'Start' and the kindle should go to the main menu!

Couldn't find ANYWHERE with instructions as simple as these. Really hope this helped.
That does not change your bootmode variable, and it does not delete ENABLE_DIAGS, so it is only a ONE-TIME boot to whichever mode you selected with MfgTool. That is why the thread is called "Select Boot".

Your simple instructions are simpler that the full set in the "small debricking guide for noobs" because they do not fix the problem other than allowing a one-time boot to main.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:59 AM   #7
workingkindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
That does not change your bootmode variable, and it does not delete ENABLE_DIAGS, so it is only a ONE-TIME boot to whichever mode you selected with MfgTool. That is why the thread is called "Select Boot".

Your simple instructions are simpler that the full set in the "small debricking guide for noobs" because they do not fix the problem other than allowing a one-time boot to main.
Wow yeah, sorry about that...Just overjoyed at the sight of anything working on my kindle.

Following the guide you mentioned, but am having trouble opening these links:

http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle...1-kt-5.0.0.img
http://gitbrew.org/~dasmoover/kindle...t-5.0.0.img.gz
http://www.mediafire.com/?un3qrdfblfyl1d0

(the mediafire one is working)

I just need the 5.0.0 images for mmcblk0p2_ssh.img and kernel-kt-5.0.0.img, anywhere else I can download from?

Thanks

(Edit)

I have mmcblk0p2_ssh.img, just need kernel-kt-5.0.0.img and mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img

Last edited by workingkindle; 08-06-2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: new discovery
Old 08-06-2012, 04:29 AM   #8
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
I just need the 5.0.0 images for mmcblk0p2_ssh.img and kernel-kt-5.0.0.img, anywhere else I can download from?

Thanks
For main, it's recommended to use the 5.1.2 kernel + partition. No need to downgrade first.

For diags, I mirrored the kernel and partition (with ssh) here.

@geekmaster: this is a permanent mirror, so you can add it to the list...
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:33 AM   #9
workingkindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
For main, it's recommended to use the 5.1.2 kernel + partition. No need to downgrade first.

For diags, I mirrored the kernel and partition (with ssh) here.

Thankyou so much!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:53 AM   #10
workingkindle

I got to step 7 in the guide:

7) Soon, you’ll see your Kindle detected as a new device.
Your PC shouldn’t be able to find any driver, so let’s help it: point the driver path where you stored Kindle-Fastboot.inf and let the PC load the driver.

But after using mfgtool to load kindle into fastboot mode, my PC doesn't detect any device, or even ask to manually locate a device.

Any idea what to do?
Old 08-06-2012, 05:25 AM   #11
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
I added it to the "forensic images" list in the first post of the "simple debrickin" sticky thread. I noticed that pastebin.com is blocked in Turkey by government order, so it is good to have downloads from other domain names. We need to get everything mirrored like that too, distributed across more domains. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #12
workingkindle

After a lot of screwing around, I have hopefully restored my kindle. It went onto the tree screen, then the low power screen. I connected it to the wall socket rather than the computer which seemed to make it charge. It then randomly went back to the main home screen. I then took the backup of the kindle I made if anything were to go wrong, and copied it to another computer. I then wiped the kindle on said computer and pasted in the pre-modded version (without ENABLE_DIAGS and data.tar.gz). I then reset the kindle which wiped everything, and re-downloaded everything. It has now worked for a full day so hopefully it will stay that way!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
geekmaster

Quote:
After a lot of screwing around, I have hopefully restored my kindle. It went onto the tree screen, then the low power screen. I connected it to the wall socket rather than the computer which seemed to make it charge. It then randomly went back to the main home screen. I then took the backup of the kindle I made if anything were to go wrong, and copied it to another computer. I then wiped the kindle on said computer and pasted in the pre-modded version (without ENABLE_DIAGS and data.tar.gz). I then reset the kindle which wiped everything, and re-downloaded everything. It has now worked for a full day so hopefully it will stay that way!
Congratulations on your success! Your success report has been added to the success report list in the simple debricking sticky thread.
Old 04-24-2019, 01:45 AM   #14
radualexandru
radualexandru began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DXG
Hello,

I think my problem is related to what is happening in this thread.
I have a kindle DX, with the firmware 2.5.8. I have tried to eable DIAGS mode and I am stuck with a message on the screen so I cannot use my kindle anymore. (see photo with the link)
It says press X to exit, but it just restarts and comes back to the same.

Some help, please...
(Maybe the solution is already in the thread, but I am a newbie in this, so I didn't hurry to suppose.)

Thank you!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7s...vRDlLaFdR/view
radualexandru is offline   Reply With Quote